Thread: went to the Ranger game today, what in the 17 has happened to Mitch Moreland?

Banned
    vCash

went to the Ranger game today, what in the 17 has happened to Mitch Moreland?

I admit, in my older age, don't keep up much with professional sports as I used to. But I thought Mitch was working towards a big contract. I looked up on the board and I see he's hitting in the 231 range. WTF?

this was my first trip to arlington this year so that stat surprised the hell out of me.

Rangers won handily so I was waiting to leave with the wife and son to beat the traffic to see Mitch bat one last time in the 8th and he managed a walk at the end but he also looked like shit swinging at what have been ball 4 before eventually getting ball 4.

I saw him hit into a double play too. he looked liked total shit today vs the Red Sox. pretty sure he didn't get a hit. in fact I'm positive he didn't.

Is his MLB career on the line? why are the Rangers keeping him in? you can't have your 1st baseman producing at the level he is producing at . that has to be an offensive production position. always thought he would be a good MLB right fielder. never understood why his rocket arm was not utilized. always thought he would be a good right fielder snagging runners at 2nd base trying to stretch would be singles.

oh, and by the way, don't know his name, but that Red Sox 2nd baseman covers some serious ground.

vCash
    He had a really bad May which is dropping his average down at the moment. He's a solid MLB player but he's no Will Clark either. He's basically a .250 hitter that is going to hit 20 home runs or so which is decent production for a first baseman, but not superstar caliber either.

I don't think his career is on the line necessarily. He probably has about 5-6 more productive years left in him. I think he is a free agent in 2017 so we'll see if the Rangers keep him or not.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    He had a really bad May which is dropping his average down at the moment. He's a solid MLB player but he's no Will Clark either. He's basically a .250 hitter that is going to hit 20 home runs or so which is decent production for a first baseman, but not superstar caliber either.

I don't think his career is on the line necessarily. He probably has about 5-6 more productive years left in him. I think he is a free agent in 2017 so we'll see if the Rangers keep him or not.
    I understand he's no Will Clark but don't you need .270 or so with 30 HR'S if you are competing to win the AL? and from a position point, why is his arm not being utilized? is he not athletic enough to play outfield like he did at MSU while also being our closer?

Banned
    vCash
    Mitch is an extremely streaky hitter. When he's hot, he's one of the best in the Major Leagues. Also, he's the best defensive first baseman the Rangers have.

That said, he'd probably gonna be leaving for somewhere else next year. The Rangers have some young talent either sitting the bench, or in AAA, that're gonna push him out.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt the Hoople View Post
    Mitch is an extremely streaky hitter. When he's hot, he's one of the best in the Major Leagues. Also, he's the best defensive first baseman the Rangers have.

That said, he'd probably gonna be leaving for somewhere else next year. The Rangers have some young talent either sitting the bench, or in AAA, that're gonna push him out.
    I work with his dad and he was saying it is very possible he is traded this season. That was at the beginning of May so things may have changed.

vCash

He was horrible in May but Mitch's problem continues and always will be his

inability to hit left handed pitching. Problem is, he's not hitting right handed pitching this year, only .230. "Yes", I fully expect him to be gone after this year. I think he made around $3MM last year and signed a one year deal right before the season started for something like $5MM so it's not like he's hurting.
    Last edited by Saltydog; 06-27-2016 at 07:46 AM.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    I understand he's no Will Clark but don't you need .270 or so with 30 HR'S if you are competing to win the AL? and from a position point, why is his arm not being utilized? is he not athletic enough to play outfield like he did at MSU while also being our closer?
    You have maybe 8 first baseman in the MLB who can give you .270 and 30+ HR's on a somewhat consistant basis. And a couple of those are converted from other positions including one of the best hitters of this generation. Mitch hit something like .278 with 23 HR last year which is a very solid season. Hopefully he will keep the avg up for the rest of the year.

vCash
    He's actually hitting "better" now than he has all year.
    In May he was horrible, only hitting .185 with 3 bombs this month he is up to .262 with 5 bombs.

He signed for 1 year at 5.7mil, after only getting 2.95mil last year. Free Agent in 2017
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 06-27-2016 at 09:37 AM.