Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rewatching the spring game

Banned
    vCash

Rewatching the spring game

And I have no doubt that Tiano is the future at QB. None. Fitz will likely play the majority of reps this season. But there ain't a whole lot of difference between the two, and Tiano may beat Fitz out before the season is even over. Williams is Williams. He has the better arm and grasp of the playbook, but he's doing about all he's capable of. Agree with Coach, Staley is closer to fourth than starting.

vCash
    I'm gonna agree with you on Tiano and Fitz being the starter this year, but this whole Williams has the better arm is over exaggerated. He throws a nice tight spiral but so does Tiano and Fitz. Williams has an adequate arm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    I'm gonna agree with you on Tiano and Fitz being the starter this year, but this whole Williams has the better arm is over exaggerated. He throws a nice tight spiral but so does Tiano and Fitz. Williams has an adequate arm
    Williams may have the best raw arm strength but it's negated due an extremely slow released that's caused by a hitch and horizontal stab in his arm action. Watch Williams next time, he has a hitch right in the middle of his arm stroke that causes him to telegraph every pass.

He simply doesn't have the actions to be an effective QB in the SEC.

vCash
    none of our QB's have an arm strength problem- its decision-making that's going to be the key. Slow clocks and a bad OL don't mix
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    After talking to someone I know very well who is an "insider" about what he thinks about the upcoming football team, he says "inexperience QB and the unknown of our offensive line" isn't a good combo for SEC football!

I agree on 34's prediction now, 6-6 going into the season, maybe our OL will step up but........talent we have at QB but if we can't protect them it may get ugly at the beginning of the schedule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    After talking to someone I know very well who is an "insider" about what he thinks about the upcoming football team, he says "inexperience QB and the unknown of our offensive line" isn't a good combo for SEC football!

I agree on 34's prediction now, 6-6 going into the season, maybe our OL will step up but........talent we have at QB but if we can't protect them it may get ugly at the beginning of the schedule.
    I've watched our spring game at least 5 times, every spring game on the SEC Network at least twice. You are REALLY reaching if you see more than 4 losses on our schedule. 1. LSU, who's QB situation is STILL worse than ours; 2. Bama - see the LSU comment; 3. A&M - who we will score points on (we always do) and CAN outscore and; 4. om - who could very well be dismantled by that point

This overt concern about the O-line is misguided. Dak stayed in the pocket last year more, "by design". Our QBs will NOT be in the pocket much this year "by design". That will negate an, albeit better than 2015, but still not great O-line in ways that you guys are not even thinking about
    Last edited by Tripp McNeely; 06-26-2016 at 09:35 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post
    I've watched our spring game at least 5 times, every spring game on the SEC Network at least twice. You are REALLY reaching if you see more than 4 losses on our schedule. 1. LSU, who's QB situation is STILL worse than ours; 2. Bama - see the LSU comment; 3. A&M - who we will score points on (we always do) and CAN outscore and; 4. om - who could very well be dismantled by that point

This overt concern about the O-line is misguided. Dak stayed in the pocket last year more, "by design". Our QBs will NOT be in the pocket much this year "by design". That will negate an, albeit better than 2015, but still not great O-line in ways that you guys are not even thinking about
    Auburn is better than we on the OL and DL. Their Secondary is likely as good if not better. Their RB situation is better. Their TE situation is better. We are better than them at LB and WR. QB? We'll see. Nobody has had more success with juco QB's than Gus Malzahn

I don't see how anyone can look at our team and think we are a for sure 8 win team. That's ludicrous

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    And I have no doubt that Tiano is the future at QB. None. Fitz will likely play the majority of reps this season. But there ain't a whole lot of difference between the two, and Tiano may beat Fitz out before the season is even over. Williams is Williams. He has the better arm and grasp of the playbook, but he's doing about all he's capable of. Agree with Coach, Staley is closer to fourth than starting.
    I watched it recently too, Staley's movement in the pocket are just too slow at this point. I love his size, but we are going to have to run the Relf offense for him to be effective.

I still think Fitz is the guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post

Couple of things, I'm just predicting, it's really unknown at this point to know if we can run block and young QB's not making mistakes. Dak was a different animal at QB, he knew how to read defenses plus he was smart. That again is unknown with inexperienced but talented QB's except for a slow footed Williams who is barely a 50% passer.

As far as teams we play in the SEC, bunch of toss up games that are winnable but at the same time we could lose. I surely hope you are right and I'm wrong.

Banned
    vCash
    Yeah, I don't buy the nobody has more success at QB than Malzahn line. Was that meant to be a joke.

Eta: JUCO Quarterbacks. My bad. Yeah, Gus had a good run with Nick Marshall on '13. But don't lets act most of that season wasn't a fluke.
    Last edited by Pollodawg; 06-26-2016 at 10:14 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Auburn is better than we on the OL and DL. Their Secondary is likely as good if not better. Their RB situation is better. Their TE situation is better. We are better than them at LB and WR. QB? We'll see. Nobody has had more success with juco QB's than Gus Malzahn

I don't see how anyone can look at our team and think we are a for sure 8 win team. That's ludicrous
    I think your crazy 8 wins with our schedule is easily doable

vCash
    Fitz is the best QB and has the highest ceiling. I agree with you on Tiano he looked great especially for a freshman but its one game. A spring game. Whoever said Williams has the best arm is nuts. Williams is by far the least talented of the group

vCash
    Yeah, I don't buy the nobody has more success at QB than Malzahn line. Was that meant to be a joke.

Eta: JUCO Quarterbacks. My bad. Yeah, Gus had a good run with Nick Marshall on '13. But don't lets act most of that season wasn't a fluke.
    And Cam Newton

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

That's been the EXACT same narrative every single year we've played Auburn under Mullen

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldsleeve Jr. View Post
    And Cam Newton
    Well, yeah. He's Cam Newton.

vCash
    yeah no kidding - I'm thinking Malzahn didn't have a Hell of a lot to do with Newton's success.

vCash
    He's still a juco transfer. Auburn also had the 4th best O in the SEC in 2014 with Marshall. My point remains. Malzahn has been extremely successful with juco transfers.

2015 was his 1st bad offense. I wouldn't count on him having 2 in a row

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadrupleOption View Post
    yeah no kidding - I'm thinking Malzahn didn't have a Hell of a lot to do with Newton's success.
    Cmon man. He still had to be coached. Tom Brady and Payton Manning don't have NCAA national championships.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    The o/u in Vegas for our win totals is 6.5 wins. Some of you need to take a step back. Not saying that we can't win 8 or even more games, but we won 8 games in the regular season with our best qb in the history of the program last year and a very weak SEC East schedule. We aren't going to improve on that and probably aren't even going to win as many as last year with the departures we had at key positions and return of an offensive line group that was horrible. The schedule this year is not brutal (for an SEC West team) but it won't be nearly as easy to win 8 this year as it was last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post

After talking to a couple folks I'm not as concerned with our OL. they could be wrong but they are in a position to know and both have said we'll be better there than last year.