Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arizona cost us a national title

vCash

Arizona cost us a national title

I honestly believe that. Especially with the way things are playing out. We played like crap and they barely beat us 1-0 and 6-5 in extras. They are basically wearing their pitchers out to the point where it wouldn't surprise me if Dalbac, Bannister, and Ming had collectively pitched 1200 pitches between them in the CWS. It's really criminal what Johnson is doing and I hope it hurts them in recruiting. I don't think I could name another pitcher of theirs except those three. Unless something miraculous happens, Arizona will make the CWS final with three total pitchers. That is just wild. Of course, in the CWS final none of those pitchers should pitch but with that Johnson guy I bet all three pitch and it wouldn't surprise me if it ruins one of those kids careers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    I honestly believe that. Especially with the way things are playing out. We played like crap and they barely beat us 1-0 and 6-5 in extras. They are basically wearing their pitchers out to the point where it wouldn't surprise me if Dalbac, Bannister, and Ming had collectively pitched 1200 pitches between them in the CWS. It's really criminal what Johnson is doing and I hope it hurts them in recruiting. I don't think I could name another pitcher of theirs except those three. Unless something miraculous happens, Arizona will make the CWS final with three total pitchers. That is just wild. Of course, in the CWS final none of those pitchers should pitch but with that Johnson guy I bet all three pitch and it wouldn't surprise me if it ruins one of those kids careers.
    The bitterness is thick here. They beat us & did it fairly

vCash
    Yea I firmly believe if we had hit the ball like we had all year in the supers and into Omaha we would have won it this year. That's why I was so sick after we lost. I knew this would be our year. We had a loaded team and pitching staff to make a deep run with a few things going our way we would have won. Makes me absolutely sick the talent MSU has had over all the years and we couldn't finish just one time. We need to quit calling Florida State chokeU until we do something ourselves. Yea we got to the title game in 13' but it don't mean shit unless you win it. I hope Coastal wins again vs TCU and spanks Arizona's ass. It will be Zona's 5th Natty if they win. Pretty remarkable the tradition that program has and it will be with 3 different head coaches I believe.

vCash
    Woulda coulda shoulda didn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    Bannister went out with an injury the other night. I agree with you, he's abusing his pitchers. I was thinking the other night I only have seen those 3 pitchers. They got hot at the right time and had timely hits but he's killing those arms. Hate seeing coaches do that to young pitchers.

vCash
    Did Dalbac get drafted?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrydawg View Post
    Did Dalbac get drafted?
    Yes as an infielder.

vCash
    Yes, he is definitely abusing his arms but its working for them so far. They have given up only 6 runs in the CWS now deep into their 5th game. Only in one of the 5 games have they allowed more than 1 run. That is stout to say the least. Looks like they will be in the championship series so guess we will see if their overused arms hold on long enough to win 2 more games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Whether it be '85, '89, '13, '16 etc., that could probably be our program's motto. Hope I live long enough to actually see us win it all one year but I'm not going to hold my breath.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Very true!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrydawg View Post
    Did Dalbac get drafted?
    4th round as a 3rd baseman I believe

vCash
    We're the Cubs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Yes, he is definitely abusing his arms but its working for them so far. They have given up only 6 runs in the CWS now deep into their 5th game. Only in one of the 5 games have they allowed more than 1 run. That is stout to say the least. Looks like they will be in the championship series so guess we will see if their overused arms hold on long enough to win 2 more games.
    They gonna have to do it without bannister, he went down the other night with injury. Arm probably fell off lol. I agree with you it's worked for them so far, I just cringe when I see coaches abusing kids arms. Been coaching a long time and seen way to many kids with futures done way too early, but to each his own.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Whether it be '85, '89, '13, '16 etc.,
    Don't forget 1979. That was another very good team that should have won it all. I think we only lost two SEC games that year.
    The Plantation has never won an SEC regular season Championship in ANY men's sport with an integrated team. That defines irrelevance.

vCash
    F everything

vCash
    Wouldn't surprise me if they pitched Bannister on Monday since according to them the guy only pitched 30 pitches on Friday, lol. I guess they will wait until the arm goes snap until they figure out pitching a pitcher as much as they do is not a good idea. I am pulling for Coastal or TCU to win the thing. Getting just to the championship series is not worth these kids' futures.

vCash

You right about '79. 20-2 sec record(including sec tournament)

Quote Originally Posted by M.Fillmore View Post
    Don't forget 1979. That was another very good team that should have won it all. I think we only lost two SEC games that year.
    Two other teams I liked a lot - '81, won the first game of CWS, then lost 4-3 to eventual champ Arizona State. In that game, Castoria hit a towering foul ball that would've been a game winning two run homer. It wasn't foul by much.
    '84, essentially same lineup as '85 with one big difference. Had Bobby Parker at SS, he was good. Lost 6 team regional at home when UNO's Stuart Weide hit a grand slam off Brantley, and their ace pitcher Wally the whip Whitehurst baffled us except for a 3 run homer by Raffy, who was simply awesome that season.
    What might've been...

vCash
    If I'm going to be eliminated by someone I would much rather it be by someone that wins the whole thing or goes deep as opposed to someone that goes two and bar-b-que.

That said I'd rather win the whole damn thing.

But I think winning is a process in baseball and for some reason no matter what level it is, the teams with experience usually end up winning the whole thing. That's the worst part about us not making it to Omaha IMO because now Mangum, Marrero, Pilkington and etc. could have used the experience of going to help us win later. Hopefully we at least get that experience the next two years.

We had never been to Omaha until 1971 as a program and we really haven't started going once every 4-5 years until Polk came along and did it starting in 1979.- so we're still relatively new compared to a program like USC, Texas, or even Arizona. We didn't become a regular at hosting regionals until the 1980's and even then we lost most of those regionals until the 1990's where we have won almost all of our regionals at home since 1997 and we're 1 out of 2 in SR at home since then as well. So, the past 20 years or so we have just now gotten to the point where if we host a regional we're likely winning it.

For most of Polk's tenure we just didn't have the pitching depth we needed to win the whole thing- which I think in part influenced his decision to keep Morgan in the game in 1985 after getting hit with that line drive. We have that kind of depth now but now the past few times we have been in a big game situation our hitters have locked up and tried to do too much and it resulted in a lot of bad AB's and weak fly balls this year in the SR and in the Finals in 2013. So, to me it's just a matter of our guys relaxing and just playing the game like they have and not trying to do too much. If they do that, then everything else takes care of itself.

And in 2013 Brandon Woodruff being hurt really KILLED us in the finals as well. If we had been able to start him along with Graveman we don't have to start Pollorena.

I think our group of freshmen this year are going to have a chance to make some noise in Omaha as well. Pilkington is turning some heads in the Cape. We've seen what Mangum can do and he is a special player who is only going to get better. Marrero was nominated for the Johnny Bench Award as a freshman- and he's only going to get better as well. LA is showing some power as well and Stovall is a good player. Breaux and Small are going to be elite starting pitchers as well and Padgett is getting better in the Cape. Very excited about our rising sophomores- we just need to hope the JUCO's coming in supplement the power hitters we have lost to the draft over the years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If I'm going to be eliminated by someone I would much rather it be by someone that wins the whole thing or goes deep as opposed to someone that goes two and bar-b-que.

That said I'd rather win the whole damn thing.

But I think winning is a process in baseball and for some reason no matter what level it is, the teams with experience usually end up winning the whole thing. That's the worst part about us not making it to Omaha IMO because now Mangum, Marrero, Pilkington and etc. could have used the experience of going to help us win later. Hopefully we at least get that experience the next two years.

We had never been to Omaha until 1971 as a program and we really haven't started going once every 4-5 years until Polk came along and did it starting in 1979.- so we're still relatively new compared to a program like USC, Texas, or even Arizona. We didn't become a regular at hosting regionals until the 1980's and even then we lost most of those regionals until the 1990's where we have won almost all of our regionals at home since 1997 and we're 1 out of 2 in SR at home since then as well. So, the past 20 years or so we have just now gotten to the point where if we host a regional we're likely winning it.

For most of Polk's tenure we just didn't have the pitching depth we needed to win the whole thing- which I think in part influenced his decision to keep Morgan in the game in 1985 after getting hit with that line drive. We have that kind of depth now but now the past few times we have been in a big game situation our hitters have locked up and tried to do too much and it resulted in a lot of bad AB's and weak fly balls this year in the SR and in the Finals in 2013. So, to me it's just a matter of our guys relaxing and just playing the game like they have and not trying to do too much. If they do that, then everything else takes care of itself.

And in 2013 Brandon Woodruff being hurt really KILLED us in the finals as well. If we had been able to start him along with Graveman we don't have to start Pollorena.

I think our group of freshmen this year are going to have a chance to make some noise in Omaha as well. Pilkington is turning some heads in the Cape. We've seen what Mangum can do and he is a special player who is only going to get better. Marrero was nominated for the Johnny Bench Award as a freshman- and he's only going to get better as well. LA is showing some power as well and Stovall is a good player. Breaux and Small are going to be elite starting pitchers as well and Padgett is getting better in the Cape. Very excited about our rising sophomores- we just need to hope the JUCO's coming in supplement the power hitters we have lost to the draft over the years.

Agree and Rook and Kruger coming back does wonders for power next season. Rook seemed to have figured it out as the season went along and was hot in the regionals and supers. I only expect guys like him Mangum, Marrero, Kruger, Stovall and LA to improve. But Rook will be a big time leader for this team next year.

vCash
    That's Baseball!!!
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is