Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arizona cost us a national title

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post

Arizona IMO is kind of cheating because they are really only using two pitchers and for the most part one bullpen guy.
    I guess Arizona's coach figures if it works in softball it should work in baseball.**

Seriously, this DOES seem to be the year to throw out everything because there is no logical reason that the NC series would have ever come down to AZ and CC.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm not blaming anything on Woodruff. I'm blaming his arm injury which no one had any control over. He had the talent to be a SEC ace and is probably going to pitch in MLB the next year or two. It was a huge blow for us at the time.
    I don't disagree but none of that is the point. We had moved on from Woodruff well before then. He was never a factor. He had nothing to do with the final series in Omaha. Other things can rightly be blamed for us losing that series. Namely, UCLA was just good. Sort of like Arizona right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taog Redloh View Post
    I don't disagree but none of that is the point. We had moved on from Woodruff well before then. He was never a factor. He had nothing to do with the final series in Omaha. Other things can rightly be blamed for us losing that series. Namely, UCLA was just good. Sort of like Arizona right now.
    Then what is the point? I didn't say we would have beaten UCLA with Woodruff- just that it was a huge blow. Losing him was a huge blow for us the entire season.
    Last edited by Todd4State; 06-26-2016 at 03:20 AM.

vCash
    Sure, they cost us a national title...by beating us. UCLA cost us a national title in 2013. Florida cost us a national title in 2012. These teams beat us in the NCAA Tournament and kept us from advancing with a chance at winning a national title.

These are all pretty clear facts.

vCash
    Lindgren wasn't a factor either in post-season. The fact was, we couldn't score against the UCLA pitchers so it probably didn't matter who we had on the mound, it was the offense that lost if for us in the end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Lindgren wasn't a factor either in post-season. The fact was, we couldn't score against the UCLA pitchers so it probably didn't matter who we had on the mound, it was the offense that lost if for us in the end.
    Correctomundo. We scored one run in two games. The RBI on that lone run was a bases loaded walk.
    The Plantation has never won an SEC regular season Championship in ANY men's sport with an integrated team. That defines irrelevance.

Banned
    vCash
    Then what is the point? I didn't say we would have beaten UCLA with Woodruff- just that it was a huge blow. Losing him was a huge blow for us the entire season.
    I agree with the bold. If you want to say Woodruff getting hurt maybe cost us a national seed....sure, I can go with that. But you said in the original post that he was a killer in the Finals. That's not true. He wasn't even really a part of the team at that snapshot.

vCash
    I agree with the bold. If you want to say Woodruff getting hurt maybe cost us a national seed....sure, I can go with that. But you said in the original post that he was a killer in the Finals. That's not true. He wasn't even really a part of the team at that snapshot.
    Killer in that we would have been able to match up much better and increased our odds of winning by a good bit. We'll never know for sure- but when you have a future MLB pitcher throwing for you in college in general your odds of winning go up a good bit.

You're trying to take what I said and turn it into an absolute when that wasn't what I was saying at all.

vCash
    Rooker is hitting over .400 in the Cape right now and Mangum is right at .400 going into today.
    That's good news

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    We're the Cubs
    Yep, yep fell the same. But Arizona did not cost us a natty, we did. Home field and 17ed away.

vCash
    I'll say this- I liked Johnson as a pitching coach but he was very average at managing our bullpen the whole damn year. Leaving a sidearmer like Rigby to face a LH power hitter like he did was beyond risky- and we got burned. And then he brought in Daniel Brown to only face one guy after that whom he walked but let's let Humphreys walk everyone on the planet? WTF?
    Yep, and left our best short relief guy, Blake Smith, sitting in the bullpen until the game had already been tied. Humphreys hadn't pitched since May 20th and used up a lot of energy getting us out of the 8th. Humphreys fast ball in the 9th dropped about 5 mph on what he was throwing in the 8th. Even if Smith wasn't brought in when Humphreys was in the 8th he absolutely should have been the one pitching the 9th. And that's not really hindsight as I was saying it at the time of as well.