Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In your opinion is Mullen's seat getting warm?

vCash
    Here's something to ponder though:

We didn't extend his contract after last year. He goes 6-6 with a loss to OM again- we ain't extending that contract for the 2nd straight year. That leaves him with only 2 left and some uncertainty- and even more pissed off
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

We didn't extend his contract after last year. He goes 6-6 with a loss to OM again- we ain't extending that contract for the 2nd straight year. That leaves him with only 2 left and some uncertainty- and even more pissed off
    The flip side of that is he did just get an extension and a substantial increase after 2014. Dan could have just as easily said "put money into more assistants/off field positions - I'm good with my contract this year". Reality is we don't know.

vCash
    If "if's and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas" He win's that's what counts now, he needs to recruit at a high level if we are going to continue to compete.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

We're winning more than 6 games and I'll be surprised if we lose to Ole Miss (not angry, just surprised). We'll see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    The flip side of that is he did just get an extension and a substantial increase after 2014. Dan could have just as easily said "put money into more assistants/off field positions - I'm good with my contract this year". Reality is we don't know.
    oh we know- it's 100% because he was shopping. Adding a year to his deal has nothing to do with current asst salaries
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JETDAWG View Post
    He win's that's what counts now, he needs to recruit at a high level if we are going to continue to compete.
    isn't the jury out on this by now? That's just not going to happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    [/B]

Thank goodness..
    Amen

vCash
    It's too soon to know. There are so many things that can change between now and December. My biggest fear with Dan right now is that I am afraid that the only reason he is still around is because he couldn't find anyone to pay him as much as we are and I am not sure how 100% committed he really is to MSU. I have a bad feeling that he is around just collecting a paycheck.

If we lose to someone we shouldn't- like South Alabama, UMass, heaven forbid Samford- that would probably put him on the hot seat.

Like someone else said- if we lose to Ole Miss again he better have won 8 games. We haven't retained a coach that has lost to Ole Miss three years in a row going back to Charley Shira. It also depends on how the team looks- if we go 6-6 but the team is competitive and plays hard I think Dan could get a pass. If we go 6-6 and we look listless like we did much of last year- I think it is major cause for concern. If we have a losing season we better have a season like we did in 1996 where we beat Alabama and Ole Miss.

A lot of unknowns right now.

What I think could get interesting is if we struggle and our o-line looks horrible again- which is likely. At what point do our major boosters force the issue with Hevesy? Even Croom was willing to demote McCorvey and try to hire Al Borges at the end but Byrne didn't give him the opportunity to do so. (Which was the correct move on Byrne's part BTW). I could see that being very ugly and coupled with another potential non-extension it could get pretty tense to say the least.

I'll be honest- if we struggle and Dan is willing to fire Hevesey I would likely give him a pass depending on the circumstances. That probably would include a losing season and a loss to Ole Miss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Are we the only school in the SEC that expects the head coach to take a paycut to pay for assistants? I certainly hope not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Are we the only school in the SEC that expects the head coach to take a paycut to pay for assistants? I certainly hope not.
    Not a cut - forgoing an increase in his pay to add to the staff. If I'm not mistaken he did that once before. And money out of pocket wouldn't be unprecedented - Richt paid out of his own pocket to increase staff pay once or twice (then got chided by the NCAA for doing it).

vCash
    I've never been convinced to a great degree that Mullen wants to leave Starkville as much as some others seem to. It does, on the surface, look as though he's entertained offers. This probably helps him financially in theory, but it's used against him in recruiting,..just as the "Yankee" and "Scientology" bull**** that OM fans started but is somehow fueled by MSU people.

That said, Mullen should know that while he's had great success, we can go out there and pay a proven HC 4-5 million a year with a 4 year contract. If he wants to stay here he's going to need a better plan, and/or higher rated players who,are more motivated to beat the cheaters up north while continuing 8-10 wins each year. BTW, we want a shot at the SEC West now and then like we had in 2014. It's not too much to ask, and he said he could do this when we hired him.

vCash
    THIS IS THE MOST STUPID THREAD EVER STARTED ON THIS BOARD
    "They live in bizarro world...up is down...yes is no...hot is cold. Now they've determined that the NCAA sends a Letter of Inquiry AFTER an investigation is basically over. Uh...NO. Not how it works." Zv2, Bafoom Motard , 10/12/15

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    If so why? and what would you need to see from this years team to keep him off of the hot seat? For me I think anything worse than 6-6 and his seat gets very hot. If we finish 6-6 or 7-5 I think he is here for another year. 8-4 or better and I would consider that a good job of coaching with how young we will be in key positions and an expected weak OL.
    Quote Donald Trump- BB Your Fired! 17 Idiot

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Speaking of Lashley I saw him driving in his new Dodge car with Bama stickers on it the other day in West Point...Pretty nice car.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    If so why? and what would you need to see from this years team to keep him off of the hot seat? For me I think anything worse than 6-6 and his seat gets very hot. If we finish 6-6 or 7-5 I think he is here for another year. 8-4 or better and I would consider that a good job of coaching with how young we will be in key positions and an expected weak OL.
    No but when he loses the 3rd in a row in Oxford, it will be.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    No but when he loses the 3rd in a row in Oxford, it will be.
    I've noticed that we are loading up on more JUCO's this recruiting cycle than normal. Some of that is because we can sign a lot of guys and some of it is because our numbers are out of whack.

But I do wonder if Dan is loading up for the 2017 Egg Bowl to try to stay around because he won't survive losing four in a row.

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash
    The worst thing has happened for him. We had to schedule another P5 team on OOC. That makes those guaranteed 7 wins a chore.

I think we're getting close to be honest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Just no
    Dude, "No" is my bag, Daddio....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Speaking of Lashley I saw him driving in his new Dodge car with Bama stickers on it the other day in West Point...Pretty nice car.
    1) Pics or it didn't happen...

2) If he "only" got a Charger, I'm surprised he even got a scholly... that's so 2012....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Huh?

Anybody saying Mullen's seat is warm, is either a troll or started following MSU football 5 years ago.

Mullen is here for the long haul. And we should be pumped about that.

We're MSU. And he has won 19 games the last 2 years. Good heavens.
    I agree with some of what you said but not the ''We're MSU.'' Why not us