Thread: New Supervisor of Officials for SEC Baskeball

vCash

New Supervisor of Officials for SEC Baskeball

For those who take the time to read such a thread, I bring good news for those who have not heard. Mark Whitehead was named the new Supervisor of Officials for the SEC yesterday. In layman's terms, He is now the boss of all referees for the SEC in college basketball, which includes hiring/firing and assigning officials for each and every game.

Although it has probably mostly gone unnoticed, I occasionally bring in some insight about college basketball officiating knowledge, whether it be a general statement, or something very specific or about why certain conferences have better officials than others, and of course why the SEC has some of the worst officiating in college basketball. I know many D1 officials, including multiple Supervisors of Officials current and past (not trying to brag, I just want you to take the next sentence seriously). This is BIG TIME news for anybody that give a shit about the quality of the game. Although Mark does not have previous experience with Coordinating in D1, he will be a vast improvement over anything the conference has seen in the position. I won't go into the reasons why the SEC has been so terrible with officials in the past again, but Mark will do everything many of the other conferences do to make sure they have the best officials they can get talent-wise, which is not what has been happening.

It is likely to take at least a season before we see any noticeable difference, but in 2017 or definitely by 2018 season, expect to see some real change in the quality of officiating in our conference.

vCash
    I know Mark very well. Been knowing him since I was very young. I went fishing with him a month ago. He is a great guy and a good referee. Good hire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    For those who take the time to read such a thread, I bring good news for those who have not heard. Mark Whitehead was named the new Supervisor of Officials for the SEC yesterday. In layman's terms, He is now the boss of all referees for the SEC in college basketball, which includes hiring/firing and assigning officials for each and every game.

Although it has probably mostly gone unnoticed, I occasionally bring in some insight about college basketball officiating knowledge, whether it be a general statement, or something very specific or about why certain conferences have better officials than others, and of course why the SEC has some of the worst officiating in college basketball. I know many D1 officials, including multiple Supervisors of Officials current and past (not trying to brag, I just want you to take the next sentence seriously). This is BIG TIME news for anybody that give a shit about the quality of the game. Although Mark does not have previous experience with Coordinating in D1, he will be a vast improvement over anything the conference has seen in the position. I won't go into the reasons why the SEC has been so terrible with officials in the past again, but Mark will do everything many of the other conferences do to make sure they have the best officials they can get talent-wise, which is not what has been happening.

It is likely to take at least a season before we see any noticeable difference, but in 2017 or definitely by 2018 season, expect to see some real change in the quality of officiating in our conference.
    Hope at last. I'll pay more attention to your posts on this for sure bc our conference play has suffered a good bit due to f poor officiating the last 20 years.