Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sounding like we gonna promote

vCash

Sounding like we gonna promote

Coggin to replace Ming. Henderson is not Cohen's top choice to be PC. Some others would have to turn it down for Henderson to be the guy
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Not surprising about Coggin. We did that with Mingione after Lane left plus Will did a great job with our hitters. Plus it's probably easier to find an up and comer by bringing them in first and seeing how they do as the volunteer assistant.

Cohen must have someone very specific in mind for the pitching coach job.

vCash
    I am ok with that. Our hitting was much improved and he is a guy that will stick around for a while. Will be interesting to see the list of candidates for PC.

vCash
    If it is someone whose team is playing in the CWS then it may not be announced until after the CWS is over

Banned
    vCash
    Freddy Gonzalez

vCash
    Any idea what kind of recruiter Coggin will be? As we've stated, Cohen is going to be the primary guy that dictates our hitting but we have to make sure that we keep our recruiting at a high level.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    From his Bio:

Coggin comes to Starkville after serving as an assistant coach the past three years at St. Johns River State College in Palatka, Florida. While there, the Booneville, Mississippi, native helped lead the Vikings to a 122-42 overall record (.744), including a 57-14 mark (.803) inside the Mid-Florida Conference. The 122 wins from 2013-15 were the most by a Florida junior college. After being ranked as high as 18th nationally in 2013 and fourth in the country in 2014 by Perfect Game, the Vikings earned a No. 1 ranking for much of this past spring.

Serving as the SJRSC third base coach and recruiting coordinator, Coggin was part of a 2015 squad which won a school-record 47 games (47-10), surpassing the previous mark of 38 set in 2013. The Vikings won their third straight Mid-Florida Conference championship this past spring, accomplishing the feat for the first time since 1966-68. Coggin also helped lead SJRSC to its first Florida State Tournament win in 38 years, finishing the season first in the Florida junior college ranks in wins, runs, home runs, RBIs, walks, on-base percentage and total bases.

“Everyone at St. Johns River is happy for Will,” SJRSC head coach Ross Jones said. “Coach Coggin did an outstanding job for us and was a relentless worker. He was a tremendous asset to our program the last three years and will be missed.”

Individually, Coggin was instrumental in player development, recruiting & coaching 25 players who went on to sign with Division I programs. A total of 45 players signed NLI's to four-year universities during his tenure at SJRSC. Included in that number is first baseman Nathaniel Lowe, a Mississippi State signee who earned NJCAA First-Team All-American honors as a first baseman in 2015 after hitting .372 with 59 runs, 53 RBIs and 17 home runs in 56 games.

vCash
    I think we should hire Smoot.

vCash
    Disappointing to me as recruiting was really not Cohen's weakness. I guess we should just accept the status quo here. Nothing against Coggins and he has done a good job but this was a chance to get a recruiter/developer not just a recruiter. Guess we will not get either Henderson or Gaspard which would have been upgrades from their counterparts.
    Last edited by MarketingBully; 06-16-2016 at 11:47 AM.

vCash
    I trust Cohen with this decision, and it fits the profile of a guy who would hang around for a while. You can't argue with the hitting results. I just hope he is tireless recruiter.

I'm excited to see a different moo moo in the third base box, too.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Coggin to replace Ming. Henderson is not Cohen's top choice to be PC. Some others would have to turn it down for Henderson to be the guy
    Any word on who the guys are? I'm assuming the guy from Cal St Fullerton will be top target again?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ETDawg View Post
    If it is someone whose team is playing in the CWS then it may not be announced until after the CWS is over
    Great point. I can think of a few that would be great candidates that are currently in the CWS.

vCash
    I think Will is going to be an upgrade. He had a lot to do with our offense this past season which was our best under Cohen. Cohen can only recruit so much himself with his head coaching responsibilities.

We had five hitters drafted this year and a freshman that hit .400. I'm not sure how much better our development has to get.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Any word on who the guys are? I'm assuming the guy from Cal St Fullerton will be top target again?
    If he really turned us down once he probably would again. Unless the regional was an epiphany for him. Also that kind of got out of hand by it being leaked and Gene nerding out over it at Harvey's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think Will is going to be an upgrade. He had a lot to do with our offense this past season which was our best under Cohen. Cohen can only recruit so much himself with his head coaching responsibilities.

We had five hitters drafted this year and a freshman that hit .400. I'm not sure how much better our development has to get.
    Well, if nothing else, he has to be an upgrade as a 3rd base coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I think we should hire Smoot.
    Mike Justice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If he really turned us down once he probably would again. Unless the regional was an epiphany for him. Also that kind of got out of hand by it being leaked and Gene nerding out over it at Harvey's.
    Well it was at a bad time of the year to walk away from a team also. Maybe he didn't want to abandon a team a couple months before the season begins and after crucial time to install his philosphy. Maybe he didn't want to move his family if he has one mid school year. Summer would be better. Or maybe he really wasn't interested. Who knows.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    Disappointing to me as recruiting was really not Cohen's weakness. I guess we should just accept the status quo here. Nothing against Coggins and he has done a good job but this was a chance to get a recruiter/developer not just a recruiter. Oh well. Guess we will not get either Henderson or Gaspard which would have been upgrades from their counterparts. Oh well.
    Holy Hell! Did I miss the asterisks here or are you being serious? Good Lord. Nobody has even been hired yet and the damn sky is falling already. Wow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whosyourdawgy View Post
    Holy Hell! Did I miss the asterisks here or are you being serious? Good Lord. Nobody has even been hired yet and the damn sky is falling already. Wow.
    Sky is not falling but this shows that Cohen rather go this route then get a Gaspard or a Henderson to immediately take advantage of the talent that we have accumulated. Hopefully, we get Henderson as our pitching coach. We at least need to grab one of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Great point. I can think of a few that would be great candidates that are currently in the CWS.
    Exactly. And I hope at least one is interested in us.