Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ron Polk John Cohen Saga

vCash

Ron Polk John Cohen Saga

Can someone give me the cliff notes version of what the deal was with Ron Polk concerning John Cohen that caused him to "try to dismantle the program"? Feel free to direct message me. I'm not trying to put out troll food. I just keep hearing about that and want to know what the deal was.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Polk retires, wants Tommy Raffo as his replacement. Greg Byrne (new AD) chooses John Cohen as new head coach. Polk has a fit threatens to do everything he can to dismantle the program and to take his name off the stadium. Byrne says 17 you, hires Cohen anyway.

vCash
    There are plenty of people who know more than me, but I'm pretty sure it basically boiled down to Polk thinking he would be allowed to continue to run the program and pick his replacement (Raffo), and when Byrne said 'nah' and hired Cohen, Polk lost his mind.

So basically, Polk's ego.

vCash
    Ron thought he had earned the right to name his successor. He wanted Tommy Raffo. Greg Byrne went with Cohen. Ron lost it.

vCash
    Polk had promised the job to Raffo- once LT was let go- Polk learned that decision wasnt going to be his anymore and he lost his shit. He tried to retire early in order to get his way- but Fogelsong informed Polk and LT that Byrne would hire the next baseball coach. Polk went nuts
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Actually Ron did get to choose his successor, Pat McMahan.

Too bad he acted foolish!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Actually Ron did get to choose his successor, Pat McMahan.

Too bad he acted foolish!
    Very true.

vCash
    What did he do behind the scenes to "dismantle the program"? Once again you can DM me if it's sensitive info.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    What did he do behind the scenes to "dismantle the program"? Once again you can DM me if it's sensitive info.
    He forced donors and former players to pick sides on him vs Cohen...many donations were held back out of loyalty to Polk

Banned
    vCash
    Polk quit on Mississippi State University three times.....1991, when Templeton talked him out of it, 1997, when he quit and let Pat MacMahon take over, and 2008 after driving our baseball program into the ground.

He could've had Tommy Raffo as coach in 2007 after we went to the CWS. Instead, he hung around too long. My dear sweet sainted mother (God rest her soul) told me that Polk acted like a whiney little baby. I'm not about to go against mama.

vCash
    I'll ask the dumb question... don't kill me for asking it, please... If Polk threw such a fit over coach replacement and acted like such an ass the way he did, why does the stadium still bear his name? Don't get me wrong. I know what the man did for our program. Hell, I have a framed, personally signed letter from him. I want to know what really went wrong and pissed him off.

vCash
    That's how it went. Byrne chose Cohen. Polk didn't get to choose Raffo. Polk got mad. Polk made threats. Byrne and Mississippi State chose to be honorable and left his name on the stadium.
    Last edited by Red Sox Dawg; 06-07-2016 at 08:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintDawg View Post
    I'll ask the dumb question... don't kill me for asking it, please... If Polk threw such a fit over coach replacement and acted like such an ass the way he did, why does the stadium still bear his name? Don't get me wrong. I know what the man did for our program. Hell, I have a framed, personally signed letter from him. I want to know what really went wrong and pissed him off.
    Because of this. We're being "honorable" and attempting to treat Polk like "crazy uncle Ron." For whatever reason, we feel it's important his name still be connected with the program because of past accomplishment. And because he was one of the driving forces behind modern college baseball. Personally, were it up to me, we'd strip his name from everything until after he's dead. Then we can acknowledge him again. But those in charge are nicer than I am.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Because of this. We're being "honorable" and attempting to treat Polk like "crazy uncle Ron." For whatever reason, we feel it's important his name still be connected with the program because of past accomplishment. And because he was one of the driving forces behind modern college baseball. Personally, were it up to me, we'd strip his name from everything until after he's dead. Then we can acknowledge him again. But those in charge are nicer than I am.

vCash
    Some people need to understand what they get paid to do. Byrne got paid to run a department. So he did that and hired a coach. Polk got paid to coach baseball. He didn't get paid to run the athletic department. He should have given Byrne his recommendation of Raffo and then shut up and let Byrne make the decision. Then he should have respected the fact that Byrne did what he was paid to do. Polk needed to understand that he was an employee of the university that was paid to do his job, but not interfere with other people's job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post

vCash
    Deep down, I still love Polk. He just went sideways with the school and I hate it. I just hope in the future that some amends are made and he comes back in some positive capacity.

vCash
    Anyone wanna share what happened in 97 that made Polk retire? What made him go to UGA? And all what made Pat go to Florida?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big4Dawg View Post
    Anyone wanna share what happened in 97 that made Polk retire? What made him go to UGA? And all what made Pat go to Florida?
    Polk thought retirement might be a good idea. He was also very mad at the NCAA and wanted to fight them on behalf of college baseball. That lasted about 2 months once Mac took over. He couldnt handle being out of baseball. Georgia came open and he went for it. Thats fine. But asking him back was a huge mistake. many of us knew it at the time.

vCash
    Why did Mac leave for Florida?