Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Catchers Interference

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    If he looked at multiple replays and STILL thinks he got it right...he should be fired. I'm not kidding one bit. The only thing worse than that call, is what you just said his response was. I'm somewhat shocked to hear that.
    Yep, it was obvious. No ambiguity whatsoever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mstatefan91 View Post
    Cohen has certainly mellowed over the past two seasons. Not that he was ever at Polk levels as far as temper tantrums.
    I told my buds I was with that I expected Cohen to get tossed on that play; was surprised, and a bit disappointed, when it didn't happen. I was livid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I've never seen that. Probably in large part because catchers are afraid that if they did that they would end up like poor CSF's catcher after Holland whacked him.

Usually when I see catcher's interference it's when someone swings and they hit the catcher's glove on a pitch. I've never seen it where a catcher was that far out in front of home plate like the CSF catcher was.
    Exactly! They normally stay back because they don't want to get hit. I've seen that call one time on a similar play in a game I was coaching. Runner stealing, pitch out, catcher takes the pitch way out of the box throws runner out but home plate umpire calls catchers balk.

vCash
    My father was an umpire way, way, waaaay back in the day. He would explain to me that plays would happen so fast that he would have to make split-second decisions on what he "saw" rather than what "actually happened". The ump bases his call on what he sees. What he sees. That's what's so infuriating to us as fans and spectators. We have the luxury of replay sometimes when the umps don't. I agree 110% it was catcher interference, but I understand the call too. Feel free to argue the point.

vCash
    I still haven't seen the replay and, as I said in an earlier post in this thread, I was too far away to see it live but I did hear something. What I heard didn't sound like an aluminum bat on a ball. I thought he swung and missed and the ball hit the catcher's shin guard. It sounded more like a loud click than the ring of a bat on a ball. Could I have heard him hitting the ball from the backside of the catcher's mitt when it was in the pocket of the mitt?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintDawg View Post
    My father was an umpire way, way, waaaay back in the day. He would explain to me that plays would happen so fast that he would have to make split-second decisions on what he "saw" rather than what "actually happened". The ump bases his call on what he sees. What he sees. That's what's so infuriating to us as fans and spectators. We have the luxury of replay sometimes when the umps don't. I agree 110% it was catcher interference, but I understand the call too. Feel free to argue the point.
    Oh I agree with you in that, that's why I don't mind s guy saying I may have missed that one, but this guy saying he's watched replays and still doesn't think he missed, well that's just moronic. And to say foul ball happened first is just completely idiotic, goes against common sense and the laws of physics

vCash
    Now that I read he had opportunity to review the replay and still said that he got the call right...And won't admit that it was the wrong call... That's poor officiating. You must admit when you're wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I told my buds I was with that I expected Cohen to get tossed on that play; was surprised, and a bit disappointed, when it didn't happen. I was livid.
    The problem with getting run nowadays is the coach has to sit out the next game no matter what. It's ridiculous. But that's why you don't see coaches getting tossed out very often in college anymore. Now umpires can make absurd calls like this guy did and there is no recourse of getting chewed out.

And I think the school gets fined too- which again is stupid if it's a legit reason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintDawg View Post
    We also apparently have the luxury of common sense in this case. All that physics that MSU teaches us...

vCash
    The problem with getting run nowadays is the coach has to sit out the next game no matter what. It's ridiculous. But that's why you don't see coaches getting tossed out very often in college anymore. Now umpires can make absurd calls like this guy did and there is no recourse of getting chewed out.

And I think the school gets fined too- which again is stupid if it's a legit reason.
    I'll never understand that rule. Why should a coach get an automatic suspension just for getting tossed in another game. It's stupid and you're right it lets umps get away with bullcrap calls like that one

Banned
    vCash
    Cohen has certainly mellowed over the past two seasons. Not that he was ever at Polk levels as far as temper tantrums.
    Wonder if there are any Polk tantrums on video out there anywhere. They were epic.

vCash

Stupid rule is stupid

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I'm with you on this. If there was ever a call to get tossed over, that was it. Gotta have your player's back on a call that horrendous. I'm trying to remember, was that before or after he had Lowe bunt with 0 outs, a 3-1 count, and Mangum already in scoring position?
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash

Damn, I'd forgotten about that rule. Stupidest rule of all time. No wonder the Intense Bastard doesn't go volcanic anymore.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Wonder if there are any Polk tantrums on video out there anywhere. They were epic.
    Most of you probably don't remember because you can't ... but way back in the day, there were some epic tantrums thrown in major league ball. Seems like I remember Casey Stengel and Leo Durocher having some pretty good ones. Might be the same nowadays ... haven't watched MLB in a while. For whatever reason, head coach/manager tantrums are part of the game, like fights in hockey. But I suppose it has to be tempered a little as you go down to college, and even more the lower you go.

vCash
    Cohen didn't want to get tossed, figured it was more important for him to be in the game. Which I agree, if he got tossed may have given negative mindset to the players (or might have po'ed them in the right way, who knows).