Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catchers Interference

vCash

Catchers Interference

I had the opportunity to sit next to one of the umpires on my flight home from GTR this morning. When he shared that he was an umpire I couldn't resist asking him what the decision was on the catchers interference play. Much to my surprise he chimed in that this was his call and that he was behind the plate that night. Nice guy and Kudos to him for owning it.

We had a very cordial conversation about it, but he was adamant that it was a foul ball and that he had watched the replay many times. I asked what about the glove that was 20 feet down the 3B line and the catcher that was crumpled over trying to recover from almost having his hand knocked off. Foul ball happened first was the explanation. I didn't debate or argue further with him, but I suspect my face showed that I wasn't buying it. I'm pretty sure I heard a mumble as he looked away that "maybe I missed that one."

This was a very short conversation as I figured he was probably wondering why in the world he told me that he was the umpire so I gracefully let it go, but thought you might enjoy the story.

vCash
    Very cool. Thanks for the story. Dude is human. Like the rest of us.

vCash
    If he looked at multiple replays and STILL thinks he got it right...he should be fired. I'm not kidding one bit. The only thing worse than that call, is what you just said his response was. I'm somewhat shocked to hear that.

vCash
    I sit out in center field with a viewing angle even better than the centerfield camera. I can't speak to the interference since it was so far away but that aside, I can tell you that this ass clown was the worst ball/strike ump I've ever witnessed from out there and I've been out there about 15 years. There are calls I don't agree with every game and I accept that it's part of the game but this guy was so incompetent, it seemed borderline intentional to me.

vCash
    To me, on his part that's too much overthinking on probably the most text book catcher's interference call I have ever seen in my life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner View Post
    I sit out in center field with a viewing angle even better than the centerfield camera. I can't speak to the interference since it was so far away but that aside, I can tell you that this ass clown was the worst ball/strike ump I've ever witnessed from out there and I've been out there about 15 years. There are calls I don't agree with every game and I accept that it's part of the game but this guy was so incompetent, it seemed borderline intentional to me.
    I agree. And I don't complain about umpires very often. All you can ask for as a player is consistency, and he was not consistent at all.

Sadly, he's probably an umpire because of who he knows rather than how good he actually is.

vCash
    No way the foul ball could've happened first unless he was swinging in reverse lol. I mean how do you hit the ball first and then the mitt when the ball is in FRONT of the mitt! That answer defies logic!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nsvltndog View Post
    I had the opportunity to sit next to one of the umpires on my flight home from GTR this morning. When he shared that he was an umpire I couldn't resist asking him what the decision was on the catchers interference play. Much to my surprise he chimed in that this was his call and that he was behind the plate that night. Nice guy and Kudos to him for owning it.

We had a very cordial conversation about it, but he was adamant that it was a foul ball and that he had watched the replay many times. I asked what about the glove that was 20 feet down the 3B line and the catcher that was crumpled over trying to recover from almost having his hand knocked off. Foul ball happened first was the explanation. I didn't debate or argue further with him, but I suspect my face showed that I wasn't buying it. I'm pretty sure I heard a mumble as he looked away that "maybe I missed that one."

This was a very short conversation as I figured he was probably wondering why in the world he told me that he was the umpire so I gracefully let it go, but thought you might enjoy the story.
    Can i repost this on genespage?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    If he looked at multiple replays and STILL thinks he got it right...he should be fired. I'm not kidding one bit. The only thing worse than that call, is what you just said his response was. I'm somewhat shocked to hear that.
    Umpires are taught to never go against their call no matter how ridiculously bad it is. It's rare that you see a Jim Joyce or a Don Denkinger confession like you see in MLB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    No way the foul ball could've happened first unless he was swinging in reverse lol. I mean how do you hit the ball first and then the mitt when the ball is in FRONT of the mitt! That answer defies logic!
    Exactly this. You can't hit the ball and then the catcher's mitt unless somehow the catcher reaches his hand out past the front of the plate and completely misses the ball...which is kind of ridiculous.

vCash
    CSF coach sat with us in the lounge Sunday nite. He said the ump said that holland was out of the box when he hit the mit. Of course the replay clearly shows he was in fact in the box with both feet...either way it just re emphasizes the awfulness of college umps.

vCash
    Well, that's a darn good question.

vCash
    I would venture to say it is impossible to foul a ball and have the catcher then get hit and the mitt go forward.

vCash
    Also something that's not being brought up is the catchers mitt was in the strike zone and the catcher was out of the catchers box which is a catchers balk. I've seen that called once in my life. The ump blew that call on 2 counts.

vCash
    Hence why you could read Cohen's lips when talking to the ump when he said "that's impossible"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    CSF coach sat with us in the lounge Sunday nite. He said the ump said that holland was out of the box when he hit the mit. Of course the replay clearly shows he was in fact in the box with both feet...either way it just re emphasizes the awfulness of college umps.
    That's incredibly ticky tack. However, during the rain delay John Holland was standing around the clubhouse and I overheard someone asking him about the play. Holland said that he called it a foul ball. FWIW.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Hence why you could read Cohen's lips when talking to the ump when he said "that's impossible"
    Cohen apparently has a better temper than me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Percho View Post
    I would venture to say it is impossible to foul a ball and have the catcher then get hit and the mitt go forward.
    Exactly! Everyone knows he missed and by using that excuse not only did he blow it but now he sounds like a complete idiot. Just say I may have missed that one. In my experience arguing with umpires if he tells me he may have missed it then you just say I got you just don't miss it next time. If however they try to stand by some stupid logic that's when the argument gets intense!

vCash
    Also something that's not being brought up is the catchers mitt was in the strike zone and the catcher was out of the catchers box which is a catchers balk. I've seen that called once in my life. The ump blew that call on 2 counts.
    I've never seen that. Probably in large part because catchers are afraid that if they did that they would end up like poor CSF's catcher after Holland whacked him.

Usually when I see catcher's interference it's when someone swings and they hit the catcher's glove on a pitch. I've never seen it where a catcher was that far out in front of home plate like the CSF catcher was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Cohen apparently has a better temper than me.
    Cohen has certainly mellowed over the past two seasons. Not that he was ever at Polk levels as far as temper tantrums.
    LFC YNWA