Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are these A&M Toolbags wearing their class rings during a baseball game??

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonWhiteAggie View Post
    Howdy Y'all,

We do have some unique and difficult to understand traditions, that I will grant you. With that being said I'd like to try shed a second's worth of light on a general statement to consider with them...Please keep in mind that from 1876 until 1958 A&M was an all male military school. That in combination with the rule that traditions don't change (ever) is why so many of them don't make sense to outsiders (and even some of the student body). I remember attending my first yell practice and thinking that the yells didn't make much sense...until I saw an elderly alum...in his 80's doing the exact same thing, then it all started to click. Most of that stuff was written back in the 1910's & 20's and so forth, they don't translate generationally.

The ring is yet another thing that we get called out on quite a bit. The only real justification for it is the Senior Military Academy mentality. We (as a nation) have the main military academies, West Point, Annapolis, and the Air Force Academy...and then there are the six senior military academies: A&M, Norwich, The Citadel, VMI, Va. Tech and so forth... Anyhow, long story short Military Academy Grads wear their rings for life, this is something that the senior military academies picked up and started doing as well. A good friend of mine's grandfather who left A&M to pilot a B-17 in WWII and then came back only took off his ring three times in his life...He mailed it back to A&M twice, once when they made membership in the Corps of Cadets optional, and again in the 60's when they allowed women in. The last time he took it off was to give it to his grandson when he became eligible.

Ok, enough on my school that y'all could probably care less about...and more on y'all. For the past five years a close group of friends and I have had a pretty large tailgate at A&M. Last year we had a great time with some MSU folks and are hoping to again as often as possible. I love the similarities between our two schools all the way down to our colors. Y'all have a great program and an awesome coach. The verdict is still out but some friends and I are going to try to make the trip to Starkville to take it all in. Are there any recommendations that y'all may have?

We had a close relationship in that last horrible conference we were in with Oklahoma State based on the same criteria...big Agricultural schools, etc. I'll be honest, I love pulling for State as long as it ain't against the Ags. I hope we make the trip this year, and we'll be keeping the beer iced down and ready for y'all next year. Hope to see y'all soon.

Hail State! & Gig 'Em,
    Bruh we don't like anybody so don't take it personal. That said I think aTm has been a great addition to the SEC.

vCash
    Y'all it was my mistake, I apologize...I'm new to all of this. I did not see anything on current threads about A&M, but since we are playing y'all coming up I thought I'd find a thread that did (by doing a search for Texas A&M) and then adding to that one. I wasn't aware I was breaking any etiquette or rules. Sorry for posting on the wrong thread at the wrong time.

Banned
    vCash
    Y'all it was my mistake, I apologize...I'm new to all of this. I did not see anything on current threads about A&M, but since we are playing y'all coming up I thought I'd find a thread that did (by doing a search for Texas A&M) and then adding to that one. I wasn't aware I was breaking any etiquette or rules. Sorry for posting on the wrong thread at the wrong time.
    It's ok just don't run up the middle 30 times in a row on us and never ever throw to the middle of the field. Thanks

vCash
    I enjoyed your post. Thanks.

vCash
    They wish they were West Point. I served with both West Pointers and Aggies. Being a ROTC commissioned officer I was friends with more Pointers than Aggies. They were strange.

vCash
    You didn't break any etiquette rules per se.... just giving you a hard time...

We can't let all you swaying nutjobs roll into this community and start necroing threads to explain your sissy traditions

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    They wish they were West Point. I served with both West Pointers and Aggies. Being a ROTC commissioned officer I was friends with more Pointers than Aggies. They were strange.
    aTm cadets have zero affiliation with the military. They just choose to catfish as if they are. This is the strangest tradition aTm has I think.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    wow. I didnt know this. I had always thought they were military.

vCash
    Here's the skinny on that:

All cadets Freshman through Sophomore year are required to affiliate under ROTC. They are allowed to select their respective branch. Upon becoming a junior, they have the option to become a D&C (Drum & Ceremony) Cadet, or pursue their commission in the military. Some are awarded scholarships and contracts early, some are not. Its really a case by case and branch by branch basis. There are a great deal of Marine cadets that do not commission in the Marine Corps via ROTC, they do it separately through the Marine Platoon Leaders Course or PLC.

So no, not every cadet is required to go into the military, but a number of them do. And in World War II A&M commissioned more officers than Annapolis and West Point combined.

But I digress, I didn't want to jump in on this thread to start spouting off Aggie history (that y'all could probably care less about). I did however want o learn what I could about MSU from real Bulldogs and not just what I could read from the university website. As I was saying, we had a great time partying with a bunch of y'all last year, and seriously cannot wait to do it again. If I can ever figure out how to do it, I have to post a picture of something I have been working on about MSU, I hope it'd be a fitting tribute.

Y'all have been in the SEC since its inception. Its safe to say there are a great deal that don't want us here, but we are nonetheless. I just think its cool that a few weekends every fall I'll get to drink beer with some cool folks from Mississippi or Auburn Alabama that I would have never met. Its a lot different from the likes of the D-cell battery throwing red raiders we used to have to attempt to tailgate with.

vCash
    Count me as one that doesn't want your ass here.

Banned
    vCash
    We ring cowbells and run 140lb running backs up the middle all game long. Those are our only two traditions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Wearing one isn't as bad as wearing a frat pin after you graduate though, IMO.
    A PLEDGE PIN! ON YOUR UNIFORM!!

venit, vidimus, amisimus

vCash
    maroonandwhite: If you show back up, I sent you a DM/PM

vCash
    Howdy Y'all,

We do have some unique and difficult to understand traditions, that I will grant you. With that being said I'd like to try shed a second's worth of light on a general statement to consider with them...Please keep in mind that from 1876 until 1958 A&M was an all male military school. That in combination with the rule that traditions don't change (ever) is why so many of them don't make sense to outsiders (and even some of the student body). I remember attending my first yell practice and thinking that the yells didn't make much sense...until I saw an elderly alum...in his 80's doing the exact same thing, then it all started to click. Most of that stuff was written back in the 1910's & 20's and so forth, they don't translate generationally.

The ring is yet another thing that we get called out on quite a bit. The only real justification for it is the Senior Military Academy mentality. We (as a nation) have the main military academies, West Point, Annapolis, and the Air Force Academy...and then there are the six senior military academies: A&M, Norwich, The Citadel, VMI, Va. Tech and so forth... Anyhow, long story short Military Academy Grads wear their rings for life, this is something that the senior military academies picked up and started doing as well. A good friend of mine's grandfather who left A&M to pilot a B-17 in WWII and then came back only took off his ring three times in his life...He mailed it back to A&M twice, once when they made membership in the Corps of Cadets optional, and again in the 60's when they allowed women in. The last time he took it off was to give it to his grandson when he became eligible.

Ok, enough on my school that y'all could probably care less about...and more on y'all. For the past five years a close group of friends and I have had a pretty large tailgate at A&M. Last year we had a great time with some MSU folks and are hoping to again as often as possible. I love the similarities between our two schools all the way down to our colors. Y'all have a great program and an awesome coach. The verdict is still out but some friends and I are going to try to make the trip to Starkville to take it all in. Are there any recommendations that y'all may have?

We had a close relationship in that last horrible conference we were in with Oklahoma State based on the same criteria...big Agricultural schools, etc. I'll be honest, I love pulling for State as long as it ain't against the Ags. I hope we make the trip this year, and we'll be keeping the beer iced down and ready for y'all next year. Hope to see y'all soon.

Hail State! & Gig 'Em,
    He's not from OM and he comes in peace. Simmer down folks and give the man some good recommendations (even though they do weird shit).

vCash
    We eat at Little Dooey's, tailgate in the now grass covered Malfunction Junction, ring cowbells, and always cheer for the 2nd string QB (sans Dak years). That may about cover it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    We ring cowbells and run 140lb running backs up the middle all game long. Those are our only two traditions.
    Holloway's going to be back at his birth weight before too long ....

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Welcome to ED, Aggie. Don't mind the assholes.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Welcome to ED, Aggie. Don't mind the assholes.
    Also welcome to ED, Bulldawgs. Don't mind the assholes.

vCash
    Rough Week!!!

I was pulling for y'all against that other damn school...no finger nails left after that one.

Took me a while to get back here...busy week with all of the business that comes with taking on the evil empire this weekend. Thanks for the tips on Starkville. We will definitely be sure to check those out if we make it this year for the Maroon & White Bowl. Good luck with Kentucky (though you won't need it). Hopefully the Ags can at least beat the spread that our "friends" in Vegas gave us.

Thanks again, Y'all are pretty damn funny