Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are these A&M Toolbags wearing their class rings during a baseball game??

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash

Why are these A&M Toolbags wearing their class rings during a baseball game??

Holy shit they are a weird bunch.

vCash
    they think it's cool not to have female cheerleaders.

vCash
    Maybe they found them in their toolbars..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Didn't see their game, but I can tell you getting an Aggie Ring is right at the top of A&M traditions. They are the Balfour's biggest client and have a 10 foot Aggie ring in front of their alumni building. I think their alumni group pays for half of the ring or a portion of it. Traditionally you "dunk" your ring in a pitcher of beer at the Dixie Chicken restaurant/bar and drink the pitcher.

My wife is an aggie.

vCash
    It's definitely a thing with the Ags. I've worked with a couple Aggies before and they wore their class rings. I don't recall alums of any other school wearing class rings in their 30s and older.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingRabbit View Post
    It's definitely a thing with the Ags. I've worked with a couple Aggies before and they wore their class rings. I don't recall alums of any other school wearing class rings in their 30s and older.
    I wore my MSU one until I was about 30. It's now in the safe deposit box, along with my high school one. Wearing one isn't as bad as wearing a frat pin after you graduate though, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    Didn't see their game, but I can tell you getting an Aggie Ring is right at the top of A&M traditions. They are the Balfour's biggest client and have a 10 foot Aggie ring in front of their alumni building. I think their alumni group pays for half of the ring or a portion of it. Traditionally you "dunk" your ring in a pitcher of beer at the Dixie Chicken restaurant/bar and drink the pitcher.
    L
    My wife is an aggie.
    The Dixie chicken is a badass bar. I've drank a ton in there and played many a dominoes. I'm betting my initials are still carved on the wall with my thin gf now wife's. (My best friends older brother is an aggie and it was a hell of a time for some high school kids)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingRabbit View Post
    My old boss still wore his from State, and he's around 70. And he's not a big donor or anything, but he wears that ring more than he wedding ring.

Banned
    vCash
    I am starting to figure out how douchey the aTm fanbase really is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    and you are a disaster of a poster on this board. If you arent going to take the time to learn other schools traditions, maybe hiding your ignorance would be the best idea.

try that with baseball too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taog Redloh View Post
    I am starting to figure out how douchey the aTm fanbase really is.
    Me too and it's as bad as they say

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Dawg View Post
    Me too and it's as bad as they say
    I don't really care about the rings, or any of their other traditions. But those male cheerleaders just get to me. I don't understand that at all.

vCash
    The weirdest tradition is "Squeeze Ags." When aTm is losing the male cheerleaders squeeze their nuts to empathize with the pain of the football team.
    The Plantation has never won an SEC regular season Championship in ANY men's sport with an integrated team. That defines irrelevance.

vCash
    Yeah I didn't do any of that gay shit

vCash
    Some of the Ag's traditions are pretty neat, like the swaying back and forth at the football games, but they have some weird stuff, especially all their jargon. As with many fanbases, they can get out of hand in large numbers, but for they most part they've always been really friendly when I've been in College Station to watch State play.
    Last edited by AusTexDawg; 10-13-2016 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Give us your tired and weak and we will make them strong. Bring us your foreign songs and we will sing along.
    Leave us your broken dreams, we'll give them time to mend. There's still a lot of love living in the Promiseland"
    - as sung by Willie Nelson

vCash
    Howdy Y'all,

We do have some unique and difficult to understand traditions, that I will grant you. With that being said I'd like to try shed a second's worth of light on a general statement to consider with them...Please keep in mind that from 1876 until 1958 A&M was an all male military school. That in combination with the rule that traditions don't change (ever) is why so many of them don't make sense to outsiders (and even some of the student body). I remember attending my first yell practice and thinking that the yells didn't make much sense...until I saw an elderly alum...in his 80's doing the exact same thing, then it all started to click. Most of that stuff was written back in the 1910's & 20's and so forth, they don't translate generationally.

The ring is yet another thing that we get called out on quite a bit. The only real justification for it is the Senior Military Academy mentality. We (as a nation) have the main military academies, West Point, Annapolis, and the Air Force Academy...and then there are the six senior military academies: A&M, Norwich, The Citadel, VMI, Va. Tech and so forth... Anyhow, long story short Military Academy Grads wear their rings for life, this is something that the senior military academies picked up and started doing as well. A good friend of mine's grandfather who left A&M to pilot a B-17 in WWII and then came back only took off his ring three times in his life...He mailed it back to A&M twice, once when they made membership in the Corps of Cadets optional, and again in the 60's when they allowed women in. The last time he took it off was to give it to his grandson when he became eligible.

Ok, enough on my school that y'all could probably care less about...and more on y'all. For the past five years a close group of friends and I have had a pretty large tailgate at A&M. Last year we had a great time with some MSU folks and are hoping to again as often as possible. I love the similarities between our two schools all the way down to our colors. Y'all have a great program and an awesome coach. The verdict is still out but some friends and I are going to try to make the trip to Starkville to take it all in. Are there any recommendations that y'all may have?

We had a close relationship in that last horrible conference we were in with Oklahoma State based on the same criteria...big Agricultural schools, etc. I'll be honest, I love pulling for State as long as it ain't against the Ags. I hope we make the trip this year, and we'll be keeping the beer iced down and ready for y'all next year. Hope to see y'all soon.

Hail State! & Gig 'Em,

vCash
    Not cool to bump a thread from 4 months ago as your first post....

vCash
    I wish y'all would go back to the big 12 and take that Missouri school with you.

vCash
    Holy crap... how did you even find that old thread to bump it?

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    WTH? I'm with msstate7 what circumstances led you to find this thread 4 months later? Curious