Thread: Watching ESPN's 30 for 30 on Phi Slama Jama...

vCash

Watching ESPN's 30 for 30 on Phi Slama Jama...

Who remembers Phi Slama Jama coming in to the Hump to play Jeff Malone in the early 80s? I wasn't but 11 or 12 but remember the Dogs hung tough before eventually losing but can clearly remember my dad talking about getting to go see Olajuwon and Clyde "the Glide." He was pumped for that game and it was definitely a show!!!

This 30 for 30 looks like it will be a good one.

vCash
    It was 1983 and we lost 68-62 to open the season. Malone had moved on to the NBA the previous year but we were led by Ken Harvey, Kelvin Hildreth, Butch Pierre and Jeff Norwood.

Banned
    vCash
    I was there that game. Spoke with Kelvin Hildreth that afternoon at class. He was the 6'5" Center assigned to Hakeem. He said he had a pretty tough job that night.

We played tough, but Houston had way too many horses. The two things I remember are:

1) Everybody hated Benny Anders. He was a real douche.
    2) Every shot State took, no matter how far out, was contested by Hakeem. I particularily remember a 15 foot jumper one of our guys rainbowed, and Hakeem's hand was less than 2 inches below it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    Who remembers Phi Slama Jama coming in to the Hump to play Jeff Malone in the early 80s? I wasn't but 11 or 12 but remember the Dogs hung tough before eventually losing but can clearly remember my dad talking about getting to go see Olajuwon and Clyde "the Glide." He was pumped for that game and it was definitely a show!!!

This 30 for 30 looks like it will be a good one.
    I was there in the student section. They put on a show but we hung with them pretty well till late.

vCash
    I was working in the basketball office then.

vCash
    was there

vCash
    Yep, i was there. Back when the Hump was fun.

vCash
    Kind of disappointed that it turned into a "Where's Waldo (Benny Anders)" type of show. Still it was good to relive those bygone days of my childhood. Always like those kind of 30 for 30's (Bo, Thunder & Lightening, NC State's magical run, etc).

But the best 30 for 30 is yet to come when "As the Grove Burns" airs in the Fall of 2019.

vCash
    I was a freshman at Houston in 1982-83. Never missed a home game. Those guys were a treat. Auburn came to Hofheinz and Barkley put on a show, but lost. Olajuwon, Drexler, Larry Micheaux, Michael Young and Alvin Franklin started, but Benny Anders and Reid Gettys played tons.

vCash

moved here in 80 so saw them in action a lot

Most talented team i have seen in college.

i remember my first boss here in early 80's was a volunteer with the U of H athletic dept(still is...at age 90!). he told my young self one day that their basketball team had just added this tall soccer goalie from Nigeria...and that their coaches thought this guy named (H)Akeem Olajuwon was going to be great. i remember chuckling at him...oh yeah a Nigerian soccer goalie is going to be one heck of a basketball player. Well needless to say I was wrong..........!

vCash
    I was 8 years old in 1983, but for all these years I thought it was "Five Slama Jama" Like 5 players. Live and learn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by West Houston Dog View Post
    Most talented team i have seen in college.

i remember my first boss here in early 80's was a volunteer with the U of H athletic dept(still is...at age 90!). he told my young self one day that their basketball team had just added this tall soccer goalie from Nigeria...and that their coaches thought this guy named (H)Akeem Olajuwon was going to be great. i remember chuckling at him...oh yeah a Nigerian soccer goalie is going to be one heck of a basketball player. Well needless to say I was wrong..........!
    That generation of Phi Slama Jama, Georgetown & The Doctors of Dunk (L'ville) leading into the UNLV & Duke years was awesome. You really got to know the players as they were there for 3 or 4 years whereas today, Olajuwon, Ewing, Pervis Ellison, Larry Johnson & Laettner would all be 1-n-done. Totally different eras and I prefer the former as opposed to the present.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    That generation of Phi Slama Jama, Georgetown & The Doctors of Dunk (L'ville) leading into the UNLV & Duke years was awesome. You really got to know the players as they were there for 3 or 4 years whereas today, Olajuwon, Ewing, Pervis Ellison, Larry Johnson & Laettner would all be 1-n-done. Totally different eras and I prefer the former as opposed to the present.
    Agreed, the 1-and-done era has changed college ball. I loved it when the greats stayed 3 or 4 years.

vCash
    I was in the student section. Remember it well.