Thread: Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Memorial Day Weekend Edition

vCash

Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Memorial Day Weekend Edition

It's here gents. I expect copius amounts of beer and grilling. I will arrive on the MS GC around midnight and will be full throttle until Monday. God bless the troops

vCash

vCash
    Not quite grilling, but I had got a new Wok cookbook and have been playing with some stuff all week. Found my favorite Peruvian dish; Lomo Saltado. Only difference is the Checkers/Rally's fries and I used habenero instead of aji amarillo pepper. Tasted very close to what I remember this being at that Peruvian joint in Starvkille. Glad I found this recipe, I miss that place.

Last edited by jbjones; 05-27-2016 at 06:35 PM.

vCash
    Crab boiled sheepshead over a filet with a baked potato. Had a weird craving for a beam and Sprite, so I had that while preparing the food. Just moved into our new house, so we opened a Merlot that was given to us when we moved into our previous house

Perfect sheepie filets

vCash
    Tonight's tasting:

vCash
    With sis, BIL and their kids in town, we all slept in and cooked a big brunch at my parents house. Nothing special. But, we decided to hit the water. With the tropical system offshore, the chop and winds were rough, so no fishing, but a beautiful day. Dinner report later.

vCash
    bout to head out again. Hopefully less wind than yesterday

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    bout to head out again. Hopefully less wind than yesterday
    Good luck. We had motor issues at 5:15 this morning...after buying $30 worth of shrimp. Loading back up on the trailer sucks when it's flat calm like today.

vCash
    Started with flank steaks. These were marinated for two days, and then we grilled then over an uncovered flame. They turned out great.

Smoked two butts for the weekend along with some really fatty country style ribs. Used the ribs to make an awesome late night app: cut into bite sized portions, Shack Attack sauce, and home made pickle. These were amazing - nothing like the savory flavor of rendered pork fat with the tartness of vinegar and crunch of the pickle.

Shack Attack sauce: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=136085

Pickles: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&postcount=545

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post
    Started with flank steaks. These were marinated for two days, and then we grilled then over an uncovered flame. They turned out great.

Smoked two butts for the weekend along with some really fatty country style ribs. Used the ribs to make an awesome late night app: cut into bite sized portions, Shack Attack sauce, and home made pickle. These were amazing - nothing like the savory flavor of rendered pork fat with the tartness of vinegar and crunch of the pickle.

Shack Attack sauce: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=136085

Pickles: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&postcount=545
    Awesome stuff, Sapper. You have one hell of a back yard view, too.

The pickles with the bbq thing is definitely the way to go. Love it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Awesome stuff, Sapper. You have one hell of a back yard view, too.

The pickles with the bbq thing is definitely the way to go. Love it.
    Thanks Beardo, but this is my MIL's retirement house in Charlottesville, VA. We love coming here. Those Pickens I make are really good, and very easy. We keep a supply on-hand all summer long.

vCash
    Picked up 4 sacks at Cuz's in Wave St Louis this morning. About to put the first batch in the pot
    [IMG][/IMG]

vCash
    Pic of heading out at sunset Saturday morning. As soon as we hit the corner of the bay it was 1-2 ft waves. We decided to stay inside but this was a solid pic.

Next 2 pics are at my cousin's house right off the bay. Our 2 families got together for a cookout. Fun times

Next shot is table shot from Sunday's fishing. Doesn't do day justice sand have one hell of a story to tell. Coming in next post.

Dinner at Steve's in Long beach. Got the usual Snapper Cat Island

Since no fishing today (see next post for story), we drive to Blowfly for lunch before I headed home. Crawfish poboy

Last edited by BeastMan; 05-30-2016 at 04:31 PM.

vCash
    Fishing Reports:

Saturday: Left out early and as soon as we hit the corner to the bay we were greeted by 1 foot rollers with the occasional 2 footer and the wind was a solid 15 mph if not more. We almost made it to the bridge before we decided to turn around. Just didn't feel like getting beat to death for 45 mins. We went into protected areas of the bay and just couldn't put anything together. Box had 1 flounder, 1 black drum, & 1 big croaker by 9. Went to a jetty that sometimes holds fish to try and put together a box. Hadn't been there long and were consistently catching small croakers soaking shrimp. I cut ones head of and put him on my big setup off the back of the boat. Not 5 mins after that, a 28ish ft Grady White with twin 250s is heading right at us. It looks like he's going to try and run between us and the jetty (20 feet) right where we're fishing. I yelled at him that he was about to run over my line of the back. Too late. He catches it and I grabbed a knife to cut my line because it's probably wrapping his prop. He then tilts his engines up and the wind is pushing him back toward the front of us. He's about to freaking hit us when I yelled at him "what the hell are you doing. Get away from us." He gets cranked up and pulls off 5 ft from the boat. We decided to pack up and head in for a nap & SEc baseball. Wasn't happening for us anyway.

Sunday: much better wind conditions so we ran for Marsh. Wanted to get away from crowds so we went to the interior marsh east of the old LA camp. Immediately saw birds and it was loaded with small trout. After catching 10 undersized with no keepers we went in marsh. Hit a pond that usually holds reds and only got 2 for the box, both on the small legal side. Had 2 more get off. Wasn't on fire and water wasn't great in first pond so we went further in. Found clean, green water and fished a choke point between 2 lakes with moving water. As soon as bait touched the water to got hit. Absolutely loaded with trout. Only problem, after 20ish fish we had no keepers. Moved to a point around the corner, sane thing. Went to another choke point, same thing. Went to a lake with some nice old island reefs in the middle same thing. Fished probably 5 more sets of birds, same thing. I know I personally caught at least 50-60 trout without a single keeper. The other 2 in the boat were fishing live bait so didn't get as many as me by volume but did catch a lot of put 3 in the box. Weird day. Every single spot we tried using our limited knowledge and concepts was the right call, just small fish. If you added in gaftops & hardheads, the boat probably caught 150 fish. I caught fish on a sparkle beatle, dbl swim bait rig, & vudu mullet. We finally called it a day at 2 and went to head in with 5 fish on ice but nonstop action all day. We were rounding the last corner at point chevette and bam, we nailed something. I knew of a huge oyster reef that sticks up by the northern point but it's close to the point. We were well clear of that so I have no idea what it was. Marina said it looked like we hit concrete or metal, not oysters. Lower unit destroyed. Had to limp in from point chevette to bay marina (21ish miles) at 7 mph. Motor couldn't get any faster. Thank god the engine got us all the way back. Didn't think it would. Thank god for boat insurance! For any of you LA marsh guys, stay very clear of the northern point at point chevette, run closer to south side than north. We've ran through this point at least 10x this year and this one time, bam. All in all, still had a great time with friends and family and when the new lower unit comes in, we'll be after em again!

vCash
    Man, that's a rough way to end the weekend.

Since we had motor issues and couldn't even get out of LB harbor yesterday, I took the kayak to BSL this morning. Carolina rigged live shrimp and mojo shrimp caught all of them. Several shorts and a few real solid ones.

vCash
    Great catch speck. You found more legal trout with us without a motor!