Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Premier League Offseason Thread

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash

2016 Premier League Offseason Thread

So it's finally time for the offseason from the craziness that was the 2015/16 Premier League season where you saw your Fox Overlords claim their first ever top flight title. So it only makes sense to ask my fellow football fans, will the Foxes be able to maintain their staff and possibly maintain the high level of play we had this past season? I think we keep Vardy just because he's 30, most will be scared away by his age. I'm worried about losing Mahrez (who has been with the club for at least 3 seasons) and Danny Drinkwater. Wes Morgan and Robert Huth will stay with the squad. N'Golo Kante is worrisome for me. He's such an amazing talent, and I'm worried that a bigger club will try and snag him. But if we are able to keep our group of guys, and maybe even add in a few good guys in there, then I would call the offseason a success. Oh, and Ranieri better stay his ass on Filbert.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    There are MASSIVE changes coming at Anfield, and I don't just mean the new main stand. In Klopp's 1st summer at Dortmund they had 35 transfers. I don't think we will quite have that many but it wouldn't be a shock if we did. There is going to be a LOT of deadwood sent packing, including a few big names. The incomings are a but more mysterious but it should be an interesting summer for sure. As for Norwich, I imagine the wage bill will have to be trimmed a bit, but hopefully not too much. Hopefully they will bounce back at the first chance, but I ain't holding my breath.

vCash
    Hull advanced in the Championship Promotion tournament. They defeated Derby County 3-2 on aggregate. They face Sheffield Wednesday next Saturday morning at 11 AM CST. I'll see what viewing options are for those who may be interested in seeing who gains the final promotion spot. You all know who I'm rooting for!

Arsenal look like they'll sign 2-3 players, including a striker, according to Wenger. The hot name for striker right now is Morata at Juve. But there's also a kid in the Eredvisie whose name keeps popping up. Another hot name that looks like it has a chance of happening is N'Golo Kante. He's got a 20M pound release clause and Arsenal looks set to trigger it. Word is he'd like a move to the Gunners.

And it appears the Granit Xhaka deal is done. Pics leaked on Twitter this morning of Xhaka at an announcement photo shoot wearing the yet to be unveiled 2016-17 home kit:
    https://twitter.com/DieFohlen/status/733982181866020864

Needless to say, I'm THRILLED with this move. Xhaka is a mutha-effin BEAST.
    Last edited by War Machine Dawg; 05-21-2016 at 11:43 AM.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Hull advanced in the Championship Promotion tournament. They defeated Derby County 3-2 on aggregate. They face Sheffield Wednesday next Saturday morning at 11 AM CST. I'll see what viewing options are for those who may be interested in seeing who gains the final promotion spot. You all know who I'm rooting for!

Arsenal look like they'll sign 2-3 players, including a striker, according to Wenger. The hot name for striker right now is Morata at Juve. But there's also a kid in the Eredvisie whose name keeps popping up. Another hot name that looks like it has a chance of happening is N'Golo Kante. He's got a 20M pound release clause and Arsenal looks set to trigger it. Word is he'd like a move to the Gunners.

And it appears the Granit Xhaka deal is done. Pics leaked on Twitter this morning of Xhaka at an announcement photo shoot wearing the yet to be unveiled 2016-17 home kit:

So Hull is back in the premiere league? I'm swapping back to them. I preferred to be a fan of the scrappy underdog as opposed to a perennial power. Being a life long State fan and graduate, I don't know any other kind of fandom.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogDX55 View Post
    So Hull is back in the premiere league? I'm swapping back to them. I preferred to be a fan of the scrappy underdog as opposed to a perennial power. Being a life long State fan and graduate, I don't know any other kind of fandom.
    Which made the Leicester win just THAT much more fun for me.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Hull has to beat The Wednesday to get back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Hull has to beat The Wednesday to get back.
    What Liverpool said. They have to beat Wednesday on Saturday morning to get the last promotion spot. The good news is it looks like Hull should be the favorite in that match. Early head-to-head stat look at ESPNFC shows Hull have scored more league goals and conceded fewer league goals than Wednesday. But it's soccer, so anything can happen.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    And it's official. Granit Xhaka is a Gunner!!!

vCash
    Big work for the Saints this offseason- work on the manager's contract. Koeman's current one ends at the end of next season, so they're in negotiations now. Sounds like things are progressing well though. So far, player-wise, we've re-upped a couple of good names in James Ward-Prowse and Fraser Forster. I'm not sure of any targets to get right now, but I'm kinda behind on things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    There are MASSIVE changes coming at Anfield, and I don't just mean the new main stand. In Klopp's 1st summer at Dortmund they had 35 transfers. I don't think we will quite have that many but it wouldn't be a shock if we did. There is going to be a LOT of deadwood sent packing, including a few big names. The incomings are a but more mysterious but it should be an interesting summer for sure. As for Norwich, I imagine the wage bill will have to be trimmed a bit, but hopefully not too much. Hopefully they will bounce back at the first chance, but I ain't holding my breath.
    Really excited to see this offseason. My best friend is also a Liverpool fan, so I keep a close eye on them mostly to talk shit. Losing to Sevilla was huge. Being in the Champions League would have made your summer 10x easier. Now, Klopp will have to works some magic to recruit top talent that wants to play in the CL. Should be a better team even still.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    will the Foxes be able to maintain their staff and possibly maintain the high level of play we had this past season? I think we keep Vardy just because he's 30, most will be scared away by his age. I'm worried about losing Mahrez (who has been with the club for at least 3 seasons) and Danny Drinkwater. Wes Morgan and Robert Huth will stay with the squad. N'Golo Kante is worrisome for me.
    I'd say top 6 would be expected. You'll add some talent with the money you won, which will help with depth, but you'll be in the EPL, CL, FA and League cups at least. Thats a lot of games to succeed in for a smaller club. So I'd say top 6 and decent showings in the other tournaments would be considered a great year for Leicester. I agree you'll keep vardy, Huth, Morgan, Smeichel (spelling is off), and I think Drinkwater. Someone may buy him for more than he's worth, but I think he would be a flop. He's a system guy (luckily for you it was your system he fits perfectly) so I think he'd best served to stay. I'd be amazed if you don't lose Mahrez, Schlupp, and Konte at the least. Maybe a few others, but I think you'll keep enough of the core to have another good year. The question is, do the Premier League giants (City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal) the past few years all completely flop like last year? My guess is no for 1 or 2, so that makes your job much harder.

vCash

Xhaka is a very good player. Good buy there. As for Morata, he keeps scoring goals, and my Real Madrid keep smiling. We likely will use our buy back clause with Juve and take him back on the cheap. Sadly, it looks like we will then turn around and flip him for about 4x profit (maybe to you) and buy Abumeyang from Dortmund or make a full court press for Sergio Aguero. I'd like to keep Morata, being from our system and Spanish and young, but Flo Perez loves those flashy signings. We will see.

A lot going on this summer with the Euros. You'll see some guys show out and get bought right after for some massive fees. Zlatan to United looks like the biggest rumor right now going. Also rumors of Isco being sold to Dortmund, Mascherano being wanted by Juventus, James Rodriguez not being apart of the Real Madrid plans, and of course you've already got Hummels moving to Bayern from arch rival Dortmund. If you can't beat em.......

If you'd like, I'll try to post a lot this summer on the rumors and signings going on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DudyDawg View Post
    Xhaka is a very good player. Good buy there. As for Morata, he keeps scoring goals, and my Real Madrid keep smiling. We likely will use our buy back clause with Juve and take him back on the cheap. Sadly, it looks like we will then turn around and flip him for about 4x profit (maybe to you) and buy Abumeyang from Dortmund or make a full court press for Sergio Aguero. I'd like to keep Morata, being from our system and Spanish and young, but Flo Perez loves those flashy signings. We will see.

A lot going on this summer with the Euros. You'll see some guys show out and get bought right after for some massive fees. Zlatan to United looks like the biggest rumor right now going. Also rumors of Isco being sold to Dortmund, Mascherano being wanted by Juventus, James Rodriguez not being apart of the Real Madrid plans, and of course you've already got Hummels moving to Bayern from arch rival Dortmund. If you can't beat em.......

If you'd like, I'll try to post a lot this summer on the rumors and signings going on.
    That would be awesome, Dudy. I love the rumors and stuff. Speaking of, the Morata to Arsenal rumors appear to be gaining steam. As you point out, Real plan to use their buyback clause and flip him to Arsenal. Supposedly Wenger is willing to pay up to 50M pounds to get him. That's a hell of a lot of money for a guy who didn't play regularly with Juve and didn't score a whole bunch when he did. Do you see him as an upgrade over Giroud? We have GOT to find someone to finish the chances that Ozil creates. It's ridiculous he didn't shatter the assist record this year.

vCash
    That would be awesome, Dudy. I love the rumors and stuff. Speaking of, the Morata to Arsenal rumors appear to be gaining steam. As you point out, Real plan to use their buyback clause and flip him to Arsenal. Supposedly Wenger is willing to pay up to 50M pounds to get him. That's a hell of a lot of money for a guy who didn't play regularly with Juve and didn't score a whole bunch when he did. Do you see him as an upgrade over Giroud? We have GOT to find someone to finish the chances that Ozil creates. It's ridiculous he didn't shatter the assist record this year.
    Massive upgrade over Giroud. Massive. He's 24, and scoring at top competitions with Real and Juve. He was a key cog in getting them into the CL final last year.

Another interesting rumor: Joe Hart to Everton. Apparently Pep doesn't want him at City, and if he can get Marc-Andre terStegen from Barca then he would sell Hart.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DudyDawg View Post
    Massive upgrade over Giroud. Massive. He's 24, and scoring at top competitions with Real and Juve. He was a key cog in getting them into the CL final last year.

Another interesting rumor: Joe Hart to Everton. Apparently Pep doesn't want him at City, and if he can get Marc-Andre terStegen from Barca then he would sell Hart.
    Good to know. Hope we can snag him.

Saw the Hart rumor. I find it a little odd that Pep wouldn't want to keep him. He's one of the elite keepers in the world. It'd be a huge upgrade for Everton, though.

vCash
    Good to know. Hope we can snag him.

Saw the Hart rumor. I find it a little odd that Pep wouldn't want to keep him. He's one of the elite keepers in the world. It'd be a huge upgrade for Everton, though.
    I don't think he's quite elite. One step below IMO. But pep doesn't want him bc of distribution. His goalies have to be as good at moving the ball as anyone. Ter Stegen is very good in that aspect (although a little risky sometimes)

vCash
    Gotcha, Dudy.

Liverpool, looks like your guys stand a real shot of landing Mario Gotze. Bayern's CEO has encouraged Gotze to move on. The money quote: "We made everything clear to Mario...He knows what the club thinks and he knows what the future coach thinks." He'd be an idiot to stay, but who knows?

vCash
    Hull City Update: You can watch the promotion match versus Wednesday on BeIn at 11 AM Saturday. Steve Bruce can become the first manager to win promotion four times.

vCash
    Yup, gotze is gone from bayern. All signs pointed to anfield, but since they lost the Europa League final and get no champions League play he is apparently skeptical. It would be huge if they got him anyways though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgHouseUnited View Post
    Big work for the Saints this offseason- work on the manager's contract. Koeman's current one ends at the end of next season, so they're in negotiations now. Sounds like things are progressing well though. So far, player-wise, we've re-upped a couple of good names in James Ward-Prowse and Fraser Forster. I'm not sure of any targets to get right now, but I'm kinda behind on things.
    Don't forget Virgil van Dijk (my favorite player this season) as well.