Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 seeds

vCash

2 seeds

Any educated guesses on who will be our 2-seed and who will be usm's (most likely who we'll be matched up with) 2-seed?

vCash
    I'm hoping we get Georgia as our 2 seed. There's a lot of possibilities to be honest. If you look at RPIs 17-35, you've got Ga Tech, ULL, TCU, FAU, Wake Forest, Georgia, Duke, ECU, and Tulane all within a reasonable distance of us and I think those are all possibilities for us as a 2 seed.

The big question is what are they going to do with the west coast teams. Probably not going to have a host west of Texas and you've got to place UC Santa Barbara, Arizona, CSF, and possibly Arizona State as 2 seeds. We could very well end up with one of those teams because after TAMU and Texas Tech, we are going to be one of the westernmost host sites.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I'm hoping we get Georgia as our 2 seed. There's a lot of possibilities to be honest. If you look at RPIs 17-35, you've got Ga Tech, ULL, TCU, FAU, Wake Forest, Georgia, Duke, ECU, and Tulane all within a reasonable distance of us and I think those are all possibilities for us as a 2 seed.

The big question is what are they going to do with the west coast teams. Probably not going to have a host west of Texas and you've got to place UC Santa Barbara, Arizona, CSF, and possibly Arizona State as 2 seeds. We could very well end up with one of those teams because after TAMU and Texas Tech, we are going to be one of the westernmost host sites.
    No FAU! Haha

vCash

You have Georgia at 26-27 making a regional??? Something tells me that won't happen. And if it did, it wouldn't be as a #2 seed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    You have Georgia at 26-27 making a regional??? Something tells me that won't happen. And if it did, it wouldn't be as a #2 seed.
    I think they will get looked at, but you're right, probably not as a 2 seed. However, they are going to get credit for having the highest SOS in the country. So I could see them as a 3 seed.

vCash
    Need a big 10 host, a west coast host, and maybe a pac 12 sympathy host. Don't want to deal with some lucky ass west coast team playing world beater against us.

vCash

Will being further west even matter? Seems like if you are trying to place west teams and wanted to take convenience into account, you'd look at airport access rather than distance once you got over a 24 hour drive away. You'd think most west teams would rather play in Miami and at least have an easy flight rather than be in Starkville or Hattiesburg and have to drive an hour to an hour and a half after landing at an airport

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RBritt View Post
    Need a big 10 host, a west coast host, and maybe a pac 12 sympathy host. Don't want to deal with some lucky ass west coast team playing world beater against us.
    My guess is they will go CSF if they do that. I can't see a Big 10 host though. They just aren't good this year. In the past Indiana had at least earned it. Not sure any of them have earned the opportunity to host. I understand that they look at these regionals with a little flexibility for travel purposes, but I've always hated the idea of putting a regional on the west coast for that. If you didn't earn it, you shouldn't get it, especially since it's a huge advantage to the home team. I think the SEC and the ACC have 12 or 13 of the top 16 teams in the country and I think they deserve the host spot. But I guess not all of them will get it.

vCash
    I think they will get looked at, but you're right, probably not as a 2 seed. However, they are going to get credit for having the highest SOS in the country. So I could see them as a 3 seed.
    I think they get a look - and they have had a helluva schedule - but I don't see them making it. #1 SOS creates an RPI anomaly if you are close to .500 in W/L. It results in UGA being the only Top 75 RPI team with a losing record. Their only SEC series wins are USC, Mizzou, and Bama, and I'm not sure that that is enough to get them in without a deep SECT run.

vCash
    I expect CSF as the 2 seed in our Regional...which will be tough because they are playing well lately. I saw several projections earlier this year with them as the 3 seed in our Regional, so I would say it's likely. It would suck to have CSF as the 2 seed, and a team like Tulane as a 3. I have a feeling there'll be some upsets this year, because having Pac 12 teams as 3 seeds in Southern regionals is not a great scenario IMO for us. Georgia Tech has been hot lately as well.

Several weeks ago I saw a projection that looked like this:
    1 MSU
    4 Alabama St
    2 Tulane
    3 Cal State Full

Now, we could/should win that...but there's something about all of these perennial "name programs" being 2 & 3 seeds that makes me think we're in store for a wild, fun, and very competitive postseason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I expect CSF as the 2 seed in our Regional...which will be tough because they are playing well lately. I saw several projections earlier this year with them as the 3 seed in our Regional, so I would say it's likely. It would suck to have CSF as the 2 seed, and a team like Tulane as a 3. I have a feeling there'll be some upsets this year, because having Pac 12 teams as 3 seeds in Southern regionals is not a great scenario IMO for us. Georgia Tech has been hot lately as well.

Several weeks ago I saw a projection that looked like this:
    1 MSU
    4 Alabama St
    2 Tulane
    3 Cal State Full

Now, we could/should win that...but there's something about all of these perennial "name programs" being 2 & 3 seeds that makes me think we're in store for a wild, fun, and very competitive postseason.
    Yeah, I don't like the looks of that one too much. Especially with Alabama St as the 4.

vCash
    On May 11 D1 baseball had us the #5 national seed with ULL #2, Wake Forest #3, and Alabama State #4. We were paired with the USM bracket that also had Vir. Comm, Oklahoma State, and Alabama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    On May 11 D1 baseball had us the #5 national seed with ULL #2, Wake Forest #3, and Alabama State #4. We were paired with the USM bracket that also had Vir. Comm, Oklahoma State, and Alabama.
    Not bad at all.

I'm pessimistic, but I fully expect to see Ole Miss have an easier regional on paper than us, as a lower seed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    Yeah, I don't like the looks of that one too much. Especially with Alabama St as the 4.
    I agree. 3 Top 33 RPI teams in that regional, but Alabama State is no slouch. Not many people know this but Alabama State is 24-0 in SWAC play. Doesn't matter what conference you are in. That's hard to do and pretty impressive.

vCash

Ga has to get above .500 to qualify. And no sec has ever gotten an at large w less than 12 sec wins. That part should be covered if they get above .500.

vCash
    I think they will get looked at, but you're right, probably not as a 2 seed. However, they [Georgia] are going to get credit for having the highest SOS in the country. So I could see them as a 3 seed.
    I'm not sure this is a hard and fast rule, but it is unlikely that teams who share a conference will be placed in the same regional.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Give us your tired and weak and we will make them strong. Bring us your foreign songs and we will sing along.
    Leave us your broken dreams, we'll give them time to mend. There's still a lot of love living in the Promiseland"
    - as sung by Willie Nelson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    No FAU! Haha
    When I saw them mentioned, I said oh FAU for sure...

vCash
    Wonder if Clemson and mr beer are a possibility

vCash
    They won't put sec teams in the same regional. I'd guess we get either ull or tulane and the other ends up in Oxford.

vCash

Other than playing at home (assuming you're not playing another higher ranked

national seed) is there any incentive in being a national seed?
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)