For those that didn't see it on Twitter, the #21 MSU men's tennis team beat #15 Illinois 4-0 today and advanced to the Sweet 16 in Tulsa, where they'll play the winner of #2 UNC vs. Tulane on May 20. The UNC match is tomorrow.
I thought this match would be much more even, but the Dawgs killed em today. Would have won at least one more point if they had kept going. This is MSU's 12th sweet 16. Our best ever finish was 3rd.

I wanted to wait to post until the women's match was over, since I thought the ladies could win, but unfortunately, the #21 women's team lost their second round match to #16 Texas Tech 4-2. They lost the doubles point but kept fighting. It came down to the last two points, and I think we would have won one, but they were a little better today. Still, the women's program has come a long way. We've been the doormats in the SEC for a while, but the past two years we've finished in the middle of the pack and made it to the round of 32. Before 2015, that hadn't happened since 2001.

Also, the women's team beat OM in the regular season for the first time in almost thirty years, so that's fun.

Both the women's and men's teams will have players in the singles championship, which takes place after the team championship.

I don't know if there are any other tennis fans here, but it's nice to see State doing well in a variety of sports. There's a great article by Bob Carskadon from a few weeks ago about how the new men's coach has turned a rough situation into a great performance this year. The future looks bright for both teams.
If you're in Starkville next spring, I highly recommend checking out a match. Watching us win at home to go to the Sweet 16 a couple years ago was one of my favorite MSU fan experiences. Hail State