Thread: Contingency: The Wrath of SMU?

vCash

Contingency: The Wrath of SMU?

I went to grad school at SMU through 2011. Their football program STILL has not recovered. In the highly unlikely event that the NCAA gets cold feet and gives OM a wrist slap is there any recourse that SMU could take? Or ULL or Texas for that matter?

I ask because OM's infractions go far beyond anything that SMU or these other programs did. SMU has a law school as well and I'm sure they have a couple of powerful attorneys in Dallas who would go ape if they saw the level of corruption at OM go unpunished when their program was decimated for far less.

Could SMU or other schools who have punished severely voice a complaint to the NCAA if OM skates? The only other alternative would be members leaving the NCAA and the beginning of the independent power 5.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    It's really very simple: If the NCAA doesn't absolutely hammer Northern Miss, then they admit they are impotent to stop the cheating and essentially commit suicide. They will be dead and it will be literally anything goes in recruiting. And frankly, the farce of amateurism will also die. Those making the money need the farce to continue. Otherwise, they have to admit college football is semi-pro. And if it's semi-pro, they're going to have to pay the players and stop getting tax breaks and incentives from tax payer dollars. So does the NCAA want to continue to be relevant and rake in the cash under the farce of amateurism or do they kill both themselves and the golden goose? I think we can all make a fairly safe guess as to which outcome is preferable to those currently in power.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Well said. At this point the media is in a feeding frenzy and their either going to feed on the carcass of OM or the NCAA. Of all the time that OM could have gotten caught this is exactly the worst. Smile bears! All eyes are on you!

vCash
    They should be glad if they can keep all or most of their staff out of prison.

vCash
    Don't know about prison but if the NCAA lets them slide, when they are clearly stalling on the UNC case, then there is a green light for everybody to cheat without fear. Power Five, SEC Football program makes for a great sacrificial lamb on the alter of phony integrity. Cut UNM's heart out and let UNC leave the room with only bruised hands from the slap.

vCash

I don't think hitting them hard will stymie the cheating or necessarily

accelerate it either but we'll see. The problem with the NCAA is the that the bastards kind make up the rules as they go along. They've pretty well shown that every case has its own merits so punishments are not always handed out equally for somewhat similar infractions. I'm thinking all this boils down to how much the NCAA wants to dig and how much they WANT to prove and therein is what bothers me about the whole thing. We know they're not credible and corrupt (Mr. Johanningmeier). Us waiting on them (NCAA) to all of sudden take the high road and become an honorable institution is somewhat a pipe dream, IMO. Do I think they get hit harder than most of their fans think, "yes" but I'm skeptical it will be what most of us here think is deserving.
    Last edited by Saltydog; 05-14-2016 at 09:26 AM.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    accelerate it either but we'll see. The problem with the NCAA is the that the bastards kind make up the rules as they go along. They've pretty well shown that every case has its own merits so punishments are not always handed out equally for somewhat similar infractions. I'm thinking all this boils down to how much the NCAA wants to dig and how much they WANT to prove and therein is what bothers me about the whole thing. We know they're not credible (Mr. Johanningmeier) and corrupt. Us waiting on them to all of sudden take the high road and become an honorable institution is somewhat a pipe dream, IMO. Do I think they get hit harder than most of their fans think, "yes" but I'm skeptical it will be what most of us here hope and think is deserving.
    They have never demonstrated any desire for a high road. Athletics, or rather the myth of their greatness in it, seems to be viewed as a war to be won at all costs. They will not change, they can only be forced to pay a steep price for the behavior.

vCash
    One thing y'all need to remember, UM isn't really eligible for the death penalty. I think that when its all said and done you will see USC type penalties. They ain't USC. The only way they pull in recruits like USC did during that probation is to ramp UP the cheating. Then you might see a death penalty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    One thing y'all need to remember, UM isn't really eligible for the death penalty. I think that when its all said and done you will see USC type penalties. They ain't USC. The only way they pull in recruits like USC did during that probation is to ramp UP the cheating. Then you might see a death penalty.
    I take it that you are referring to repeat offender status. We don't know but it is possible for the NCAA to hit them as a repeat offender since they are getting busted for cheating WHILE still under investigation.

vCash
    It's even better when you pronounce it "Smoo"...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostPositive View Post
    They should be glad if they can keep all or most of their staff out of prison.
    People will think that's a joke but there's some educators in Georgia right now that aren't laughing due to academic fraud scandals. Saunders attorney did the right thing telling him to shut it down with the NCAA and accept the fact he'll never work in D1 college sports again. If he's implicated in an academic scandal that involves fraud that allowed kids who would've otherwise not been eligible to be receiving pell grants, etc... Well, that's bad.

I don't know if anyone in MS will have the guts to pursue it but this could be a federal issue very easily.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    People will think that's a joke but there's some educators in Georgia right now that aren't laughing due to academic fraud scandals. Saunders attorney did the right thing telling him to shut it down with the NCAA and accept the fact he'll never work in D1 college sports again. If he's implicated in an academic scandal that involves fraud that allowed kids who would've otherwise not been eligible to be receiving pell grants, etc... Well, that's bad.

I don't know if anyone in MS will have the guts to pursue it but this could be a federal issue very easily.
    I've been saying this for months. You're correct, people in GA went to prison for a similar scam. This could very easily wind up in the criminal justice system.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22