Thread: Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick, Roku, etc....

vCash

Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick, Roku, etc....

Gents, I'm trying to research the available "cord cutting" options for TV. But as a bit of a luddite, I'm having some problems figuring out some of the crucial differences. For instance, I know you have to subscribe to certain networks a la carte to get access. What's the price point? I'm sure it varies by network, obviously. But it seems to me that could get more expensive than traditional cable or satellite in a hurry. Obviously I'd like access to all the live sports I can get - ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC Sports, MLB, NFL, etc. If I download torrents of a show, could I cast stream them via a media player on my laptop? Just trying to consider all my options.

Which do you use and why? Thanks for the input!
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    We haven't cut the cord - I love my DirecTv too much. I've got a Chromecast. About all we use it for is for my daughter streaming music and me streaming SEC+ from my tablet because my BlueRay has Neflix built in. I have been thinking about the Amazon b/c we have a Prime account and could add some of their content that Netflix misses - like the new show with the guys from Top Gear. Both are cheap to buy - $35-40 each.

vCash
    I've heard good things about Sling TV plus Roku. Cheaper than cable, plenty of channels, and you can go back and watch recent episodes of shows on given channels. There are reasonably priced ways to add sports and premium packages. I don't know all the details, just thought I would mention it.

vCash
    I use appletv and a subscription to slingtv. The slingtv subscription with the sports packkage is $25 a month. I gives you access to every espn channel including sec network. You can add on other options, such as HBO, but I don't need that. I live close to memphis so i can pick up all the brodcast channels in crystal clear HD with an antenna for free. I purchase select cable shows, like the walking dead, through itunes. I cut cable 4 years ago and have never looked back. Save lots of money this way.

vCash
    I cut the cord a little while back. I'm using a Channel Master DVR with HD antenna for local stations. I subscribed to Sling TV for a bit but got tired of their buggy software, slow servers, inability to record, limited On Demand selection, and inability to fast forward commercials in On Demand.

I've been using Playstation Vue for about a month. It works with Amazon Fire devices, allows you to record to the cloud, fast forward, more channels, and gives you logins for pretty much all of the stations (ESPN, AMC, Syfy, History, etc.). It's about $35 to get the package with SEC.

With the money I've saved from not paying cable, I've bought a few series from iTunes that I enjoy or can't get.

vCash
    I don't know a lot about these but my brother in law, who's very tech savy has a device & he has ESPN for free. I watched it just the other day. I've got to find out more about it because we're thinking about cutting the cord

And he watches any show he wants the day after it airs. It's crazy all the content he has

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Gents, I'm trying to research the available "cord cutting" options for TV. But as a bit of a luddite, I'm having some problems figuring out some of the crucial differences. For instance, I know you have to subscribe to certain networks a la carte to get access. What's the price point? I'm sure it varies by network, obviously. But it seems to me that could get more expensive than traditional cable or satellite in a hurry. Obviously I'd like access to all the live sports I can get - ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC Sports, MLB, NFL, etc. If I download torrents of a show, could I cast stream them via a media player on my laptop? Just trying to consider all my options.

Which do you use and why? Thanks for the input!
    WMD, I second this thread.... I was 'fraid peeps would make fun of me if I asked cuz I'm a meth cookin, whiskey distillin, trailer dwellin' Bammer...

thanks to those who respond....

NOTE: I currently pay $90/mo for bundled DTV and DSL....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    I have Roku but I also have Dish ... haven't cut the cord and really don't intend to. My son in Atlanta dropped Comcast cable to go to Roku, but it didn't last long. You lose some capabilities that I like with cable/satellite, like DVR recording (I suppose you could buy a standalone recorder though). Anyway, he found that he couldn't watch all the games that he wanted so he went back to cable and uses Roku like I do ... for things like the SEC+ network, and his kids like YouTube, etc., available on the television instead of laptop/iPad.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    All you need to know is Kodi. Takes 15 minutes to install on a firestick and gives you access to everything. Depending on who your internet provider is, you will still have access to all of the watch ESPN games. Hell, I watched Deadpool in HD while it was still in theaters, just had to deal with subtitles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HereComesTheSpiral View Post
    All you need to know is Kodi. Takes 15 minutes to install on a firestick and gives you access to everything. Depending on who your internet provider is, you will still have access to all of the watch ESPN games. Hell, I watched Deadpool in HD while it was still in theaters, just had to deal with subtitles.
    Yep this is the one my bro in law has that I was talking about above. I watched a movie with him while still in theatres. I think it's less than $100??

vCash
    I'm sorry if this has been mentioned, but Google Kodi for any of the apps mentioned. You'll have access to any tv or movie ever made.
    Last edited by bdfan09; 05-20-2016 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Typo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfan09 View Post
    I'm sorry if this has been mentioned, but Google Kodi for any of the apps mentioned. You'll have access to any tv or movie ever made.
    All the shows, none of the commercials

vCash
    Just my $0.02 on the matter. I've been thinking about cutting the cord too since I'm moving in a few weeks to a new house. A couple of things I've had to consider:

1. Using Kodi to get unsubscribed channels is illegal. No two ways about it.
    2. Your Internet provider may have bandwidth caps. So if streaming is your only way of tv, you may be limited on the amount of streaming you can do. I know the "only deal in town" where I'm going has a bandwidth cap of 300 GB/mo. Which sucks.
    3. If Tivo had the PS Vue app, I'd be gone and would "deal" with the caps. My ideal setup would be a Tivo Bolt and Tivo Mini's setup with an OTA antenna and PS Vue on the Bolt (which is not available).
    4. I hate cable companies...they've got us all by the squishy bits right now...and they need to pay (which may go against what I said in #1).

vCash
    Any way to get Sunday Ticket for free? I don't care about stealing from those thieving bastards.
    All cable companies are dirty and have shitty customer service.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Dawg View Post
    Any way to get Sunday Ticket for free? I don't care about stealing from those thieving bastards.
    All cable companies are dirty and have shitty customer service.
    Pro sports app on Kodi has reddit links to watch professional games.