Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So what's the deal with Quay Evans and Nick James?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ennis Del Mar View Post
    Maroon post fact on this. Sorry.
    that's incorrect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bgdog View Post
    I have no idea but just reading between the lines it seems like there where some discipline and conditioning
    Inexcusable if conditioning is still an issue. They've been in the program long enough that they should be in playing shape. Now, if they attitude problems, that is one thing. Make them ride the pine until they put forth the effort. But if their attitude is so poor that the staff has been unable to get them in shape then perhaps they need to be asked how much they want to be on the team. I know it would be very hard to do that with that much elite talent potential, though. I would think and hope that the staff has told them the nfl doesn't put up with halfassed effort.

vCash
    Nick's problems are mental. Conditioning is just a byproduct of him learning to buy in to the program.

Quay is smart as shit, he had just never had to work for anything ever in his life. He'll be fine.

vCash
    I'm not too worried about Quay. From all accounts, he's starting to get it. And he showed more flashes than James last year. I think he'll flourish in our new scheme and be a starter the 2nd half of the season.

James, who the hell knows? He looked like he'd turned the corner in terms of attitude in the spring, but now we're hearing it's the same ol' shit this fall from him. I met a guy down at the Gator Bowl who thinks James will be a huge bust because he's lazy and can't be motivated. Hope like hell he's wrong, but the continued bad attitude is saying otherwise.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    that's incorrect.
    Well whatever our coaches were thinking last year, at this point, given neither Evans nor James are getting first team reps starting their Soph year I don't see a great chance that one of them would leave after 3 years much less both unless its for something OTHER than the NFL. Not many guys are 3 year college players that aren't starting or at least making a big impact by the 2nd year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    what I posted is not an opinion. it is a fact. they played because they only have them for 3 years.
    Nick James has a long ways to go, to even consider the NFL. Hell he has a long way to go before he can start in the SEC.

Banned
    vCash
    I think PHack and maroonmania are both right, from what I've seen in this thread and what I saw last year.

Let's face it, at this point, these guys are nowhere near Fletcher Cox's development as a true freshman. And that's what it takes to be an NFL 1st rounder. Unless things just suddenly click, like say a Nick Fairley. I think what's more important is that the coaching staff knows they were getting 3-4 years out of them max, so it was a waste of time to redshirt either one of them - you know they ain't staying 5 years. They'll either sign a free agent contract or quit before then.

Plus, I think the coaches knew they needed some more depth at DT last season.

vCash

Unless we see a different Quay and Nick

this year, there is no way they are going to the NFL in year 3. Imagine how that conversation goes between Mullen and Nick/Quay-

Coach, Im declaring.

Coach Mullen- For what?

The draft.

Coach Mullen- Military?

No, the NFL.

Coach Mullen-LULZ.

What NFL scout will go into a war room and tell his boss to draft someone who isnt a starter?

vCash
    If it were baseball, I could probably buy it due to guys getting drafted based on talent all the time.

Most NFL scouts buy into this motto- Fat guys stay fat, hurt guys stay hurt. There are plenty of guys who can handle moving around at ~340- Kyle Love positioned himself into a starting DT doing just that, but Nick hasnt shown he can play consistently at this weight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueMaroon View Post

What NFL scout will go into a war room and tell his boss to draft someone who isnt a starter?
    Nick Fairly went from a nobody to a top 5 pick in one season.

These guys have incredible talent- they just have to mature and work. The maturing process has been slower than anticipated.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Nick Fairly went from a nobody to a top 5 pick in one season.

These guys have incredible talent- they just have to mature and work. The maturing process has been slower than anticipated.
    True, but wasn't he a JUCO player? He really didn't have a chance to show out against good competition until the one year he played at a D1 school.

vCash
    Both of these players are sophomores. They have time to figure it out, and from all accounts it appears as if they are both making progress even if they aren't quite finished products yet. Everyone wants them to be Warren Sapp 2.0 on day one, but that doesn't happen very often even at Alabama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    True, but wasn't he a JUCO player? He really didn't have a chance to show out against good competition until the one year he played at a D1 school.
    Well, Quay and Nick haven't really had a chance either since they were forced to sit behind Cherry for a year. And don't give me the maturity didn't know the plays BS either. Barrett Jones had trouble blocking Nick James (I think it might have been Quay). Quay performed when we actually let him play. They should have played more last year for all intents and purposes.

vCash
    Fairley played 2 seasons at Auburn- only made 2 starts his Jr year in 2009
    2010? He won the Lombardi Award

Alot can change for these guys in just 1 season
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    He played 2 years at Auburn and you never heard of him in the first one...Just further makes the same point...

At some point a light bulb either comes on or it doesn't. For Fletcher Cox, even, it didn't really happen until his JR year(well, it actually became clear in his soph spring how good he would be)... He showed flashes in year 1 and year 2 sure(and played ALOT more snaps -- which speaks to the depth that we've accumulated) -- but he didn't put it all together. And he wasn't faced with some of the issues that James and Quay are...

People need to be patient with their development -- as long as we're getting good production from the position, which I expect with Eulls and PJ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Well, Quay and Nick haven't really had a chance either since they were forced to sit behind Cherry for a year. And don't give me the maturity didn't know the plays BS either. Barrett Jones had trouble blocking Nick James (I think it might have been Quay). Quay performed when we actually let him play. They should have played more last year for all intents and purposes.
    Quay and Nick struggled off the field at times last year - the classroom being one of them, which led to their lack of playing time. Let's hope we don't have a repeat this year.

vCash
    the one guy NOT IN this conversation is turner...i've been told that he's sick to death of both...tom

vCash
    So based off of all this conversation, what are we doing recruiting wise to remedy this situation. I have heard they could leave next year because they are that good and if a light turns on, they are gone. If they stay til year 4, no way in hell they are playing a 5th year, be it free agent signing or whatever. Hear they have issues and may never make the switch. Now, Turner is sick of them both. With any of these items being the case, why are we not focusing on 2-3 defensive tackles in this class? (eta: maybe we are and I just have not heard, but what little I have kept up, seems our main focus has been OL)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HIGHDOG View Post
    the one guy NOT IN this conversation is turner...i've been told that he's sick to death of both...tom
    welcome High! that's not good. everything I've heard has been fairly positive on Quay, but if Turner is getting aggrevated with him that's a pretty good indicator.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    He played 2 years at Auburn and you never heard of him in the first one...Just further makes the same point...

At some point a light bulb either comes on or it doesn't. For Fletcher Cox, even, it didn't really happen until his JR year(well, it actually became clear in his soph spring how good he would be)... He showed flashes in year 1 and year 2 sure(and played ALOT more snaps -- which speaks to the depth that we've accumulated) -- but he didn't put it all together. And he wasn't faced with some of the issues that James and Quay are...

People need to be patient with their development -- as long as we're getting good production from the position, which I expect with Eulls and PJ...
    Yes, biggest thing that Cox had that apparently Quay and Nick don't have is a tremendous work ethic and desire to be great. Guess that is really the light that needs to click on.