Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FedEx getting behind a Memphis-to-Big 12 campaign....

Banned
    vCash

FedEx getting behind a Memphis-to-Big 12 campaign....

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...tate-expansion

I for one would rather not enable another competitor in our direct vicinity. I also don't think Memphis offers that much. I think they should go Houston and then West.

Either way, I think eventually, the Big 12 will falter.

vCash
    If the Big 12 adds teams like Memphis, UConn, Houston, Cincy, UCF, etc, I tend to think they will eventually lose Oklahoma and Texas to either the Pac 12, SEC, or Big 10.

If Memphis does join the Big 12, we should schedule them somewhat regularly to meet the SEC rule of having 1 Power 5 non-conference opponent every year.

vCash
    I think the Big12 should revert back to the old Southwest Conference. Also, this refers to the ACC and the Big East, with original members. Make some sanity of the conference's geographic locations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Howboutdemdogs View Post
    I think the Big12 should revert back to the old Southwest Conference. Also, this refers to the ACC and the Big East, with original members. Make some sanity of the conference's geographic locations.
    The ACC actually did have only members from states that touched the Atlantic Ocean until recently. I think the addition of Louisville was the first to break that "rule", and without looking, may still be the only one (Notre Dame is only a semi-member). Only problem is the Atlantic coast runs from south Florida all the way up to northern Maine, so it covers a huge geographic area.

The same argument could be made for the Pac 12 (or whatever it is now) since schools like Colorado, Utah, and both Arizona schools aren't on the west coast. The conference names are sorta meaningless now.

I suppose one could argue that Missouri is sort of a southern state, but it's not southeast. Texas is southern, but not southeastern either. And the Big 12 has 10 schools and the Big 10 has 12 schools (I think). Odd.

vCash
    Houston actually has a good bit going for it. Very nice facilities, brand new football stadium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EAVdog View Post
    Houston actually has a good bit going for it. Very nice facilities, brand new football stadium.
    I liked the old Robertson stadium better. TDECU Stadium looks like a tin can.

On the other hand, Memphis isn't ready for big time yet. Let's see if they can replace Fuente with a decent coach.

No one in any conference including the SEC wants another in conference team in their geographical vicinity to compete with them in recruiting. That's why ATM will block Houston, OM will block Memphis, and every other school will fight to keep any school in their same state or 500 mile radius from being added. That's how we got ATM and Missouri.

If we want to do something force Notre Dame, BYU, and the service academies to join conferences. They're all good schools with "decent" programs. Okay, Army sucks on a regular basis but I would be proud to have them in the SEC because they're the US Army dammit.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    I think Memphis joining the Big 12 would hurt Ole Miss more than anyone else. I think it would be more positive for us because we could schedule them as our power five opponent and not have to ever schedule BYU again. Plus, I think it would probably help our baseball team because their RPI and program would likely improve some.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think Memphis joining the Big 12 would hurt Ole Miss more than anyone else. I think it would be more positive for us because we could schedule them as our power five opponent and not have to ever schedule BYU again. Plus, I think it would probably help our baseball team because their RPI and program would likely improve some.
    Until Memphis agrees to play us in basketball - **** Tiger High. They want all the benefits we offer in football and baseball but refuse to give us the rub in their sport. No more getting to have it both ways. Play us in hoops or not at all.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EAVdog View Post
    Third largest school in Texas also
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    Third largest school in Texas also
    Big 12 needs to expand in the Mountain West region . BYU and Boise St would be nice additions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Memphis is literally in their back yard and OM does a lot of recruiting there. Plus ... Memphis beats them in FB regularly .... The only problem is if we played Memphis, I hate going there for a game. I went several years ago when it was so hot, they put our players in an uncooled dressing room, and our fans (which outnumbered their fans) directly in the hot sun. It was well over 100 degrees that day.

Banned
    vCash
    Are you talking about the game when Jackie was still our coach. Cuz I remember being there and reading about no ac.

Also I went to watch us play them in baseball in the early 90's I think. And I'm not exaggerating 1 bit when I say I thought it was a high school stadium. Have they improved that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Are you talking about the game when Jackie was still our coach. Cuz I remember being there and reading about no ac.

Also I went to watch us play them in baseball in the early 90's I think. And I'm not exaggerating 1 bit when I say I thought it was a high school stadium. Have they improved that?
    Yes, it was in Jackie's tenure. Must've been early 2000s because I remember we left Memphis and drove to New Orleans to visit my son who was in grad school at Tulane, and he graduated MSU in 2000. Probably was in 2001.

Never have seen their baseball stadium, but I wouldn't expect much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Yes, it was in Jackie's tenure. Must've been early 2000s because I remember we left Memphis and drove to New Orleans to visit my son who was in grad school at Tulane, and he graduated MSU in 2000. Probably was in 2001.

Never have seen their baseball stadium, but I wouldn't expect much.
    It was 2000. I remember because my seats were up in the nosebleeds and I had to climb all the way up there in the 100 degree heat. I thought I was going to die. Without looking it up, I think we won that game 17-10.

Miserable. 2001 we played at MSU - we had to block a punt for a TD and score a couple more times in the 4th quarter to win that one.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Howboutdemdogs View Post
    I think Pride will keep Texas from ever joining the SEC.

Banned
    vCash

Expansion is about TV markets and money.

Houston will be considered, but the Big 12 has Texas covered. They don't need another Texas team that brings nothing to the table. Memphis themselves may not control a market, but they would put the Big 12 in a new market and don't kid yourself, Fred Smith money talks. Memphis may not get in, but they will be one of the last out if not. They see the writing on the wall that if they don't get into a descent conference, they won't be viable much longer.

This will hurt OM much more than us anyway, so we should be rooting for it, not to mention we play them alot, so we can use that as our P5 opponent and get a fairly easy win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post

You would be surprised at what most college baseball stadiums around the country look like outside of the SEC and maybe your bigger ACC players. Attendance drops extremely quickly once you get out of the top 30 or so programs. We are very fortunate to have the fan support and facilities that we do for baseball along with the rest of the SEC. I wouldn't be surprised if average attendance at most schools is around 1000 people or less.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OdaMaeBrown View Post
    Houston will be considered, but the Big 12 has Texas covered. They don't need another Texas team that brings nothing to the table. Memphis themselves may not control a market, but they would put the Big 12 in a new market and don't kid yourself, Fred Smith money talks. Memphis may not get in, but they will be one of the last out if not. They see the writing on the wall that if they don't get into a descent conference, they won't be viable much longer.

This will hurt OM much more than us anyway, so we should be rooting for it, not to mention we play them alot, so we can use that as our P5 opponent and get a fairly easy win.

Yeah I agree it is about TV markets. But any conference adding Memphis or UCF or Houston is desperate and on the decline. If a conference wants TV VIEWERS NATION WIDE, a conference will add NATIONAL BRAND programs so as to have matchups of NATIONAL INTEREST. Oklahoma v Memphis? Nobody is watching that outside the state of OK and the city of Memphis. Oklahoma vs Bama or USC? That is a national audience. Oklahoma and TX better bounce from the big12.

But on the topic of Memphis.....Ill give the city of Memphis this. It is an SEC football town in the fall. HOWEVER, if Memphis had a current Big12 football schedule....this town would be a Memphis football town! Every bar in town would be tuned into Memphis rather the SEC during Memphis game times. It would absolutely change the direction of Memphis football program. I agree also this would effect OM more than other SEC member. The Memphis media (which spans across most of North MS) covers OM football as much or more than Memphis....this would push Memphis above OM on TV sets in Memphis AND N. Mississippi. Also recruiting......it would be a blow to OM's recruiting in Memphis. HOWEVER, there would be some effect on us and USM too.....I believe Memphis (in some years) would make in roads in MS recruiting and would take anyone they wanted from USM and maybe a few from us.

With all that said........I see Big12 football going the way of Big East basketball if IF the Big12 is so desperate to start adding commuter and directional schools. Therefore the effect on Memphis football remains to be seen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I think Pride will keep Texas from ever joining the SEC.
    I think A&M will prevent UT from joining the SEC. That wasn't a clean break up. UT basically dared A&M to leave then got pissed that it happened. If the Big 12 goes down, I think UT joins the Pac 12.