Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: From D1Baseball chat today....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vv83 View Post
    When do the regionals start? (what date would be the first post SEC Tourney game we play)
    Friday, June 3.

vCash
    Oh wow never realized it started so late. Always thought it was the last weekend in May not early June. Thanks

vCash
    Fri. June 3rd - Sun. June 5th are the Reg's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vv83 View Post
    Oh wow never realized it started so late. Always thought it was the last weekend in May not early June. Thanks
    Last wknd in May is the SEC tourney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    TMI
    because he's only the 3rd strongest
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    It's pretty funny that they don't care so much about being a national seed unless they knock us out in the process.
    What is sad is that would involve their team being swept by Texas A&M most likely and probably costing them a regional host bid in the process.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Here's the chat transcript link....

http://www.d1baseball.com/chats/d1ba...ly-chat-may-9/

It's not hard to pick out the Rebels...they are the ones trying to add Ole Miss to all the National Seed questions, haha.

I will say this though...Kendall nor Aaron give us much shot at winning the SEC or even the West as of today.
    I think it's because we're closer than they think and they don't realize it yet or they just want to see how things materialize this week. They are basically trying to cover 300 teams.

vCash
    I don't really understand why he focused on that. That shouldn't matter in determining national seeds. They should just be looking at each individual team. Heck, every selection committee ever has claimed they don't look at conference when making their decision.
    I've been looking at the conference rpi's on warrenolan and the SEC and ACC have been going back and forth between #1 and #2 every week, so it's not new or noteworthy that one conference is barely higher than the other.

Right now the ACC is 0.5788 and the SEC is 0.5739. The SEC will pass them on Tuesday because the SEC non-conference opponents are better, but it still won't mean much.
    Last edited by MedDawg; 05-09-2016 at 08:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post
    I've been looking at the conference rpi's on warrenolan and the SEC and ACC have been going back and forth between #1 and #2 every week, so it's not new or noteworthy that one conference is barely higher than the other.

Right now the ACC is 0.5788 and the SEC is 0.5739. The SEC will pass them on Tuesday because the SEC non-conference opponents are better, but it still won't mean much.
    For national seeds it really shouldn't matter in overall conference RPI, it should just matter in comparing each conference's top 4.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think it's because we're closer than they think and they don't realize it yet or they just want to see how things materialize this week. They are basically trying to cover 300 teams.
    I thought I saw Kendall tweet last night that he could easily see us winning it all. Especially considering that you don't need to be terribly deep in the pitching staff at Omaha because of all the off days built into the schedule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    I thought I saw Kendall tweet last night that he could easily see us winning it all. Especially considering that you don't need to be terribly deep in the pitching staff at Omaha because of all the off days built into the schedule.
    I did hear that. I don't think he dislikes us or anything like that- if anything he seems to like MSU. He's put out a ton of stories on D1 baseball about us. If we get a National Seed would definitely could make another run. IMO we have one of if not the biggest homefield advantages in a regional situation- up there with LSU. I'll never forget our fans intimidating Clemson- which is a good baseball school that has good crowds. I remember I was sitting by the bullpen and Clemson was making a pitching change and as soon as the gate swung open our fans were on top of the guy talking smack and the pitcher's eyes were HUGE like saucers. He didn't do too well.

Anyway it sounds to me like he just may not think we will win the SEC. If things go well for us this weekend, he'll probably change his tune.

vCash
    I just want that national seed in the worst way. Just to say we were one. You know, kinda like saying we were the first team in Mississippi to make the NCAA Final Four; or the first team in Mississippi to make the SEC Championship game in Atlanta; or, the first team in Mississippi to make the CWS Championship Series; or, the first team in Mississippi to be ranked #1 in the College Football Playoff rankings; or the first team in the nation to be ranked #1 in the CFP rankings; oh well, you get my drift. Gets kinda boring after a while, huh?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I did hear that. I don't think he dislikes us or anything like that- if anything he seems to like MSU. He's put out a ton of stories on D1 baseball about us. If we get a National Seed would definitely could make another run. IMO we have one of if not the biggest homefield advantages in a regional situation- up there with LSU. I'll never forget our fans intimidating Clemson- which is a good baseball school that has good crowds. I remember I was sitting by the bullpen and Clemson was making a pitching change and as soon as the gate swung open our fans were on top of the guy talking smack and the pitcher's eyes were HUGE like saucers. He didn't do too well.

Anyway it sounds to me like he just may not think we will win the SEC. If things go well for us this weekend, he'll probably change his tune.
    I get that on message boards, everyone likes to speculate on what's going to happen.... And everyone is going to be excited
    about winning a championship... But I can't figure out why our fans are so optimistic about the overall SEC championship? We have to sweep two series... Or we have to have the conference leaders go 3-3 over their next 6 to allow us a chance. These seem like such long shots to me that, if Kendall was saying we dont have a shot at SEC reg season title, I'd agree with him. We are asking a LOT of our opponents in these scenarios.

vCash
    I get that on message boards, everyone likes to speculate on what's going to happen.... And everyone is going to be excited
    about winning a championship... But I can't figure out why our fans are so optimistic about the overall SEC championship? We have to sweep two series... Or we have to have the conference leaders go 3-3 over their next 6 to allow us a chance. These seem like such long shots to me that, if Kendall was saying we dont have a shot at SEC reg season title, I'd agree with him. We are asking a LOT of our opponents in these scenarios.

All we have to is lose two fewer games than the teams ahead of us, all of whom play much harder schedules. I would say we are roughly as likely as anyone else to win it all or at least tie.

vCash
    I think it's because we have more than held our own vs most of the better teams in the SEC and some of the teams ahead of us have tough teams the next two weeks. South Carolina and Texas A&M will probably cannibalize each other. Or at least one or the other. That's guaranteed to take care of one team for us right there. Florida finishes with Vandy and at LSU. There is a very good chance they lose at least two out of those six. South Carolina then has to go on the road to Alabama who has a really good pitching staff plus South Carolina has not been nearly as good on the road minus the Ole Miss series.

No one is saying it's a shoe in and I think everyone understands it's a tough task to sweep or even go 5-1 the next two weeks. At the same time it's realistic and it's worth discussing. I think it's hard to not like where we are right now.

And at the same time if some National expert doesn't think we have a chance- that doesn't really bother me. If we take care of business this weekend they'll be talking about us having a chance next week.

vCash
    Ole Miss has been a national seed, but it's been a while.
    Leicester Till I Die

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    I just want that national seed in the worst way. Just to say we were one. You know, kinda like saying we were the first team in Mississippi to make the NCAA Final Four; or the first team in Mississippi to make the SEC Championship game in Atlanta; or, the first team in Mississippi to make the CWS Championship Series; or, the first team in Mississippi to be ranked #1 in the College Football Playoff rankings; or the first team in the nation to be ranked #1 in the CFP rankings; oh well, you get my drift. Gets kinda boring after a while, huh?
    Ole Miss was the #5 national seed in 2005 before losing to eventual national champions Texas in the supers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    Ole Miss was the #5 national seed in 2005 before losing to eventual national champions Texas in the supers.
    Yes, I remember that now. Even more reason to go ahead and get one locked down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostPositive View Post
    All we have to is lose two fewer games than the teams ahead of us, all of whom play much harder schedules. I would say we are roughly as likely as anyone else to win it all or at least tie.
    In two series. No, we are not as likely as anyone else to win it. That's crazy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostPositive View Post
    Can't tie FL or SC unless we have a rain-out.

That would really suck for us if a couple of winnable games got rained out.