Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Injuries

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    At this point I'm not really talking about offensive being the issue. So even though Stovall wasn't tearing it up he was an above average middle infielder. If we lose Gridley or Holland at this point then our defense up the middle is going to suck big time and that was the damaging part I was talking about.
    Stovall was sucking at 2B too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taog Redloh View Post
    Stovall was sucking at 2B too.
    He is a true fr and he has had some ups and downs, but he brings the most to the table. He's had some big hits too, double at lsu for one. The versatility he brings adds a lot we can do moves wise too. I think he's a gritty little sob too. Gonna be a good one

vCash
    Rather than 2B, have any of the OF played SS? Move Gridley to 2B and fill in the SS spot.

Damn it'd be nice to have Frazier or Pirtle on this team.

vCash
    Can Hump not play short anymore? I know he was a stud in highschool there. Surely he still can play in the middle more so than Gavin.

vCash
    Sure would be nice to have Luke Reynolds or Delvin Zinn right about now.

vCash
    Did Mike Smith play any MIF in JUCO?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    He is a true fr and he has had some ups and downs, but he brings the most to the table. He's had some big hits too, double at lsu for one. The versatility he brings adds a lot we can do moves wise too. I think he's a gritty little sob too. Gonna be a good one
    I agree. Don't take my words as hatin' on him. Just the facts at this juncture. He was my favorite signee.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by djaymsu5 View Post
    Can Hump not play short anymore? I know he was a stud in highschool there. Surely he still can play in the middle more so than Gavin.
    Now that his arm has healed you would think that might be an option. I'll bet Hump has played a LOT more middle infield over his time in baseball than Collins ever has. Hump is a much more natural infielder than outfielder if you ask me based on watching him play. Batting wise our best option would be to have Hump play 2nd and Gridley at SS and then play either Rooker or Cody Brown in LF and you could DH Kruger or DH either Rooker or Brown when they are not in the OF and Kruger is catching. Could then bring in Holland when Hump pitches.

vCash
    Look people, hump, smith, nobody on our roster is being moved to short or second. Collins can be strictly an emergency whatever I suppose, but if it's more than an inning in the middle our season is done. I sometimes wonder if y'all have seen a game. Good grief.

vCash
    Look people, hump, smith, nobody on our roster is being moved to short or second. Collins can be strictly an emergency whatever I suppose, but if it's more than an inning in the middle our season is done. I sometimes wonder if y'all have seen a game. Good grief.
    Well one more injury and someone will have to be moved. We will have no choice. And yes, all those times I've watched Hump play 2nd base in games he has looked terrible.*** Collins has no range and makes lots of fielding errors and we are living with that at 3rd but we can't in the middle of the infield. I have no real idea if Hump can play middle infield at this point in his career or not but he came to us as an infielder, not an outfielder. You can watch Humphreys in the OF and tell he's not all that comfortable out there. He looked totally lost trying to field that ball on the track this past Thursday night at Bama. Could have cost us big time.

vCash
    Hump needs to be at second or short( which ever one he is more comfortable with) right now in practice getting adjusted to the infield. I can guarantee you he still knows how to play in the middle. He just needs to take hella ground balls in practice to get back used to the feel of it. I would have him start at whichever middle spot against Troy and see how he does. We will need someone else there for the depth nonetheless if something were to happen to Holland. We have plenty of outfielders

vCash
    Now that his arm has healed you would think that might be an option. I'll bet Hump has played a LOT more middle infield over his time in baseball than Collins ever has. Hump is a much more natural infielder than outfielder if you ask me based on watching him play. Batting wise our best option would be to have Hump play 2nd and Gridley at SS and then play either Rooker or Cody Brown in LF and you could DH Kruger or DH either Rooker or Brown when they are not in the OF and Kruger is catching. Could then bring in Holland when Hump pitches.
    Agree! And we need Cody Brown in the everyday line up at the bottom of the order. That is another one of those dirtbags that has grit. Love that kid! Also a veteran

vCash
    I agree with this. Humphreys did play SS in high school but so do most good prospects. That doesn't mean he can do it at a high level in the SEC. I have seen Humphreys play SS in high school and not once did I ever think he would be a SS in college. He looked like a 3B/OF to me and he has settled in as an OF. I don't believe he has the instincts and range to play SS at an adequate level in the SEC and I have no idea if he can turn a double play and infield pop ups would be a question as well.

People need to understand there is a HUGE difference between the SEC and 6A ball in Mississippi. And I highly doubt Humphreys or anyone else could learn a new position this late in the season. Look at how long it has taken Collins to adequately play third base.

vCash
    Well one more injury and someone will have to be moved. We will have no choice. And yes, all those times I've watched Hump play 2nd base in games he has looked terrible.*** Collins has no range and makes lots of fielding errors and we are living with that at 3rd but we can't in the middle of the infield. I have no real idea if Hump can play middle infield at this point in his career or not but he came to us as an infielder, not an outfielder. You can watch Humphreys in the OF and tell he's not all that comfortable out there. He looked totally lost trying to field that ball on the track this past Thursday night at Bama. Could have cost us big time.
    Playing SS is a whole hell of a lot harder than playing left field.

This is a non issue. Cohen is going to go with Holland and if something happens we'll go with LA and hope for the best. He's not having surgery until after the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Playing SS is a whole hell of a lot harder than playing left field.

This is a non issue. Cohen is going to go with Holland and if something happens we'll go with LA and hope for the best. He's not having surgery until after the season.
    Well first, I was suggesting Hump at 2nd not at SS but I understand the point. However, while I understand middle infield is a much more difficult defensive job than LF, if I just stuck Gridley out in LF he probably would not do all that well himself. Playing outfield requires its own special set of skills as well. Its pretty obvious right now that Hump is not a natural outfielder but even with that, maybe it is still his best position. I had always heard that he was moved to LF and taken out of his more natural INF position to protect his arm which he had had surgery on but now that he is back pitching that is a dead issue. But if you saw him in HS I will defer to your opinion that he is not an SEC middle infielder because I've only seen him play 3rd a couple of times early this year. Now I will say when I saw him at 3rd I actually thought he was a little better there than Collins was although Collins has significantly improved since early in the year. Hopefully Gridley and Holland will stay healthy and it won't be an issue we have to deal with.

vCash
    As is, Id catch Kruger and DH Rooker for Holland at 2b. I don't think we'll see any major changes in the INF even if Holland gets hurt. As someone else said I think we'll just stick LA out there and hope for the best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldsleeve Jr. View Post
    As is, Id catch Kruger and DH Rooker for Holland at 2b. I don't think we'll see any major changes in the INF even if Holland gets hurt. As someone else said I think we'll just stick LA out there and hope for the best.
    Bet Dakota Hudson will smash getting his first ABs in 3 years...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldsleeve Jr. View Post
    Personally not convinced that LA's hand is healthy enough to play for long stretches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    yeah didnt think that one all the way through. LOL. Rep added.