Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Injuries

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash

Baseball Injuries

Stoval is likely going to be out around 6 weeks.

Luke Alexander has a broken bone in his glove hand. I'm not sure what that means for him and his time frames for being back, but I sure as hell wasn't happy to hear it.

With the injuries mounting, don't be surprised if Cohen looks towards some upperclassmen to move positions. So, don't be shocked if we see some guys playing new positions soon.

vCash
    So Gridley stays at short, Holland to 2B?
    Sounds like this is the only option

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Dawg View Post
    So Gridley stays at short, Holland to 2B?
    Sounds like this is the only option
    We are already doing that. If we want to get our best bats in the lineup, Collins would have to move to 2nd and Hump to 3rd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    We are already doing that. If we want to get our best bats in the lineup, Collins would have to move to 2nd and Hump to 3rd.
    Yep. Kinda what I was thinking. But I bet Cohen Willet Holland try to prove himself at the plate a few more games first

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    And that's a scary thought. Imagine having Collins limited range at 2B rather than 3B. Holland has the ability to hit better than he has, don't really know what is wrong with him at the plate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    And that's a scary thought. Imagine having Collins limited range at 2B rather than 3B. Holland has the ability to hit better than he has, don't really know what is wrong with him at the plate.
    Yep, he's just got to step it up.

vCash
    We've got better options at 2nd than Collins. He'll put speed there and we have a lot of OF guys that played IF in high school. He'll find someone to fill the gap that's more than just a warm body.

Banned
    vCash
    Can't do it on the infield. We have to play solid defense up the middle. It's got to be Gridley and Holland at this point, until Alexander comes back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taog Redloh View Post
    Can't do it on the infield. We have to play solid defense up the middle. It's got to be Gridley and Holland at this point, until Alexander comes back.
    I agree. We can't be screwing around in the infield at this juncture. Gotta play defense.

vCash
    Before the season started I swear I thought Kruger played C and 2B. Now checking his profile and just says C. Guess Im mis remembering.

Banned
    vCash
    Kruger certainly puts us in a lurch. I'd like his bat but we need Marrero's defense. Only way to get them both in is to move someone to 2B who will be a liability. So I guess the question is, what position is most important? Hell if I know at this point, that's why we pay Cohen. I'd stick with Holland at 2B for the time being to see if he improves, because we know he has the ability.

vCash
    Kruger certainly puts us in a lurch. I'd like his bat but we need Marrero's defense. Only way to get them both in is to move someone to 2B who will be a liability. So I guess the question is, what position is most important? Hell if I know at this point, that's why we pay Cohen. I'd stick with Holland at 2B for the time being to see if he improves, because we know he has the ability.
    I don't see much of a drop off if any with Kruger over Marrero at this point. Marerro gets it to 2nd a little quicker but Kruger is better at blocking balls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldsleeve Jr. View Post
    Before the season started I swear I thought Kruger played C and 2B. Now checking his profile and just says C. Guess Im mis remembering.
    He hasn't played it this season at least.

2b Ryan Gridley/MS
    2b Hunter Stovall/MS
    2b John Holland/MS
    2b Gavin Collins/MS
    2b Luke Alexander/MS

Gavin started once, vs Nicholls St but had to move over to 3b to get the error machine Reid off 3rd.

vCash
    Just calling it like it is, another injury to a middle infielder right now would really be damaging to our team. Still kind of miffed about the Stovall injury because it appeared that it was largely caused by the Bama first baseman having his foot way too far over on the bag which gave Stovall very little room to plant when he stepped on the bag as he ran. Was the finally diagnosis a hyperextended knee strain?

Banned
    vCash
    Just calling it like it is, another injury to a middle infielder right now would really be damaging to our team. Still kind of miffed about the Stovall injury because it appeared that it was largely caused by the Bama first baseman having his foot way too far over on the bag which gave Stovall very little room to plant when he stepped on the bag as he ran. Was the finally diagnosis a hyperextended knee strain?
    To be fair, it's not like Stovall was tearing it up out there. We're really about in the same position, without depth. Stovall, Alexander and Marrero are all going to be big time superstars for this team the next two years, but the only freshmen that absolutely HAVE to play at this point are Mangum and Pilkington.

Wonder if we could convince Luke Reynolds to come back lolzzz

vCash
    To be fair, it's not like Stovall was tearing it up out there. We're really about in the same position, without depth. Stovall, Alexander and Marrero are all going to be big time superstars for this team the next two years, but the only freshmen that absolutely HAVE to play at this point are Mangum and Pilkington.

Wonder if we could convince Luke Reynolds to come back lolzzz
    At this point I'm not really talking about offensive being the issue. So even though Stovall wasn't tearing it up he was an above average middle infielder. If we lose Gridley or Holland at this point then our defense up the middle is going to suck big time and that was the damaging part I was talking about.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 05-02-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    At this point I'm not really talking about offensive being the issue. So even though Stovall wasn't tearing it up he was an above average middle infielder. If we lose Gridley or Holland at this point then our defense up the middle is going to suck big time and that was the damaging part I was talking about.
    Stovall was sucking at 2B too.

vCash
    Stovall was sucking at 2B too.
    He is a true fr and he has had some ups and downs, but he brings the most to the table. He's had some big hits too, double at lsu for one. The versatility he brings adds a lot we can do moves wise too. I think he's a gritty little sob too. Gonna be a good one

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Collins doesn't have the quickness or footwork to play 2nd in my opinion. There's more than just taking ground balls at 2nd. I can't imagine him trying to turn a double play on a ball hit to short. He's just too slow to react to things. He can't get to balls hit two steps to his left or right at third. How many bunts has he fielded cleanly and thrown the guy out? I can recall only one. Think it came against Bama or LSU. There is just a lack of quickness with him.

Having said all of that, I do commend him on having a better stroke at the plate against Bama. He was going with the pitch and not trying to pull everything. I hope he can see how that helps him. He will still get his bombs as we saw on Friday when the pitcher puts one in his wheelhouse. But he has to take what the pitcher gives him and wait for his spots on pulling a ball.

vCash
    Luke will have off season surgery and will have to miss playing summer ball in Cali. Hate it for him. He will bounce back but not sure how much he can do the rest of the season. They had it so taped up and padded it hurt his feel in the glove. Maybe they can figure it out soon!!