Thread: 5* CJ Johnson vs. 3* Benardrick Mckinney (for you cruitniks)

vCash

5* CJ Johnson vs. 3* Benardrick Mckinney (for you cruitniks)

Remember when 5 Star CJ Johnson de committed from CDM and MSU, only for us to open up his spot for little known, 3* Benardrick McKinney?

Im lazy to look up all the accolades and accomplishments, but this one has stuck with me for a few years.....5* CJ Johnson got his new truck, posted it on social media.....went on to be developed by coach hugh freeze et al......those 5 stars and player development along with all his eligibility got him a contract......but undrafted.....

Someone fill in the blanks for Benardrick.......3 star....STARTING LB for Houston Texans____________________________________________ ......................

vCash
    While on a similar subject, what happened with us and Vernon Butler?

From McComb, goes to La Tech and gets drafted first round. Did we miss on him in favor of others? Seems that he always wanted an offer from us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Istvan Teleky View Post
    While on a similar subject, what happened with us and Vernon Butler?

From McComb, goes to La Tech and gets drafted first round. Did we miss on him in favor of others? Seems that he always wanted an offer from us.
    He totally slipped through the cracks due to either numbers or maybe he tweaked his knee or something.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    We evaluated him and showed a little interest while following his progress in high school I believe. Pretty sure we never offered.

vCash
    There are may examples of OM waste. The "best WR ever from MS" Pat Patterson for example, the 5* that crashed. Hell we even got Arceto Clark some work in the league. After watching the Pat Patt debacle what does Vince Sanders do? He goes to OM. Im not even going to go down the road of Tobias Manning-Singleton, or Snoop "Da Champ". You cant rationalize some of these decisions, not everyone examines their situation the same way.
    Last edited by Leroy Jenkins; 05-01-2016 at 09:53 PM.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    McKinney was a 2 star

Which shows you how terrible the rating system is
    Last edited by Schultzy; 05-01-2016 at 09:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    McKinney was a 2 star

To be fair, McKinney was a lanky, skinny QB in high school. He was regarded as a great athlete, but wasn't really seen as much of a D1 prospect. I think the star system is generally stupid, but you have to be fair in admitting that some prospects are late bloomers that fly under the radar. In McKinney's case, Mullen saw a kid that they felt could grow into the position. It's a case of doing the work on the recruiting trail, not just chasing stars.

That said, I'm sure Mullen and staff didn't see McKinney as the player he eventually became when they recruited him. They just went out and got a kid with heart, work ethic, and upside. You rarely go wrong with those kinds of players, and in many cases you hit the lottery like we did with McKinney.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    To be fair, McKinney was a lanky, skinny QB in high school. He was regarded as a great athlete, but wasn't really seen as much of a D1 prospect. I think the star system is generally stupid, but you have to be fair in admitting that some prospects are late bloomers that fly under the radar. In McKinney's case, Mullen saw a kid that they felt could grow into the position. It's a case of doing the work on the recruiting trail, not just chasing stars.

That said, I'm sure Mullen and staff didn't see McKinney as the player he eventually became when they recruited him. They just went out and got a kid with heart, work ethic, and upside. You rarely go wrong with those kinds of players, and in many cases you hit the lottery like we did with McKinney.
    Who else offered him? And we didn't offer him late. We also offered Brandon Bryant early.
    Last edited by Schultzy; 05-01-2016 at 10:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    McKinney was a 2 star

Yet this site would come off the rails if we offered 2* players on a consistent basis. I know we have a few committed for next year, but the ratings haven't been finalized and often change.

Some users on here would go nuclear and call for all football coaches to be fired, not just Hev.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EAVdog View Post
    He totally slipped through the cracks due to either numbers or maybe he tweaked his knee or something.
    I think we went with Quay, Nick James, and Nelson Adams instead. If I am thinking about the right class.

vCash
    Statistics prove that if you take the same number of 5*, 4*, 3*, and 2* players, 5* will have the highest rate of becoming starters/all conference/all American/NFL draft picks, then 4*, then 3*, then 2*. Exceptions to the rule are just that, they are exceptions. Don't get blinded by a couple of anecdotes.

vCash
    We slow played both Vernon and AJ Jefferson and then took AJ at the end. The was some concern among recruitniks that AJ would never play either. Everyone was aware of Vernon and all the P5 schools elected to pass. Just goes to show how random recruiting can be.

vCash

Agree for the most part, but I also got ripped to shreds on 247 when I said BMac would be a better college LB than CJ. Coaches I know and trust had seen them both and said it wasn't close. Ended up they were right and the star gazers were wrong. Good to remember things like this for perspective. Sometimes letting that 5 star go for a 2 star late bloomer works out in your favor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Agree for the most part, but I also got ripped to shreds on 247 when I said BMac would be a better college LB than CJ. Coaches I know and trust had seen them both and said it wasn't close. Ended up they were right and the star gazers were wrong. Good to remember things like this for perspective. Sometimes letting that 5 star go for a 2 star late bloomer works out in your favor.
    I liked B-Mac better from the beginning for no other reason than he wasn't the diva that CJ was. There was no drama with the kid, and you knew the work ethic and upside was there. CJ was misused pretty badly by OM - they did him a disservice, but he got what he deserved.

vCash
    I liked B-Mac better from the beginning for no other reason than he wasn't the diva that CJ was. There was no drama with the kid, and you knew the work ethic and upside was there. CJ was misused pretty badly by OM - they did him a disservice, but he got what he deserved.
    No doubt. Had he went to State and been forced to work he would've been a much, much better football player. I wouldn't just say that about anyone either. I don't think Kimchee would've been better off at State. In fact he probably would've done worse. Same for Bo Wallace... CJ screwed the pooch though.