Thread: Turkeys not gobbling on the ground

Banned
    vCash

Turkeys not gobbling on the ground

i hunt behind the levee and the turkeys have not gobbled on the ground all year (hammering it on the roost then shutting up).

anyone else in other areas having the same problems?

this is my first post!

vCash
    Sounds like they may have hens

vCash
    Have that happen at a couple of places that I hunt and others they gobble good up into the morning. What I have noticed is one like GTHOM said hens although this late in the year they should be looking. Its pretty much last call at the bar for them. The other thing that I have noticed to be the biggest cause to this is predators. All of the places that I hunt that have a bunch of predators (coyotes,bobcats, wild dogs, etc. or a lot of human traffic i.e. logging etc) They tend to gobble good on the limb and don't say much on the ground unless you are on top of them. One of the birds I killed this year at a predator infested place gobbled good on limb hit ground didnt say a word until he was about 50 yds from me. He gobbled one more time because he was looking for the hen but he came probably 250 yds without saying a word until he got in close. That would be my best guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Have that happen at a couple of places that I hunt and others they gobble good up into the morning. What I have noticed is one like GTHOM said hens although this late in the year they should be looking. Its pretty much last call at the bar for them. The other thing that I have noticed to be the biggest cause to this is predators. All of the places that I hunt that have a bunch of predators (coyotes,bobcats, wild dogs, etc. or a lot of human traffic i.e. logging etc) They tend to gobble good on the limb and don't say much on the ground unless you are on top of them. One of the birds I killed this year at a predator infested place gobbled good on limb hit ground didnt say a word until he was about 50 yds from me. He gobbled one more time because he was looking for the hen but he came probably 250 yds without saying a word until he got in close. That would be my best guess.
    I was hunting at bienville national forest 2 years ago with my dad, had two gobbling they were coming to us, saw the first one and all of a sudden he pitched up in a tree out of nowwhere, we were like wtf I know he didnt see us, 30 seconds later 2 coyotes come running up to us. It was over. You are definitely right the gobblers have learned not to gobble as much on the ground. If turkeys could shoot back they'd hunt us not the other way around haha

vCash
    Yea, they can seem very intelligent sometimes ha. I think we tend to give them too much credit. Sometimes, I swear they can reason and put things together ha. They are just very instinctual and in some places are super weary. Then, one day they just decided to come right in and commit suicide. What is weird about the predator thing and I guess it is because we have more big woods then out west is that out west there are probably 3 times more predators especially in Wyoming and South Dakota and those birds gobble their brains out. I think they feel more comfortable because they can see. Had a mountain lion sneak into a setup in SD one time and that will send some chills down your spine. Never new a huge cat could be that quiet. Have yall been any the last week or so?

vCash
    Same up NE of Vicsburg. They gobble while on the roost then you never hear them. I think the warm winter started them earlier and its over now. I heard someone say they saw little turkey chicks already.
    Our club has only killed one gobbler this spring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncivilengineer View Post
    Same up NE of Vicsburg. They gobble while on the roost then you never hear them. I think the warm winter started them earlier and its over now. I heard someone say they saw little turkey chicks already.
    Our club has only killed one gobbler this spring.
    I was of the same thinking until saturday I had one hot and heavy gobble at least 120 times. I ran out of time and tried to sneak him which didn't work out.(stupid kid's travel ball)