Thread: Radar App for the weather geeks

vCash

Radar App for the weather geeks

Storm by Weather Underground

I'm posting this because from time to time I get asked what radar apps I use when I'm out chasing. I came across this app yesterday and love it. It won't replace my other ones I use chasing, but it will definitely be used in conjunction. This is a free app with a $1.99/year option to have it ad free. This has a lot of information that my higher priced radar apps and software I use chasing don't have. Also, it does not have some of the things they do have so there is a trade off. But for the novice it really is a great package. It only has basic reflectivity radar so no velocity or dual pol products. But it does have lightning detection and storm track. Storm track also sets the hazard cone out and you can see what cities are in that cone with approximate storm arrival time. Storm tracks are color coded by main threat level such as hail or tornado. You can then go into the storm track and get all kinds of useful information such as the atmospheric conditions the storm is in as well as more detailed storm info such as percent chance of hail, percent chance of severe hail, estimated hail size, upper level and low level shear, etc. Even better is that for the parameters it lists you may be unfamiliar with it gives you an area where it lists the details of that parameter and what the thresholds are for when you need to take note.

The radar is also overlayed on google maps so you can go into a map, satellite, or hybrid view and zoom down to street level to what is where.

For those of you looking for a good basic radar app for free or cheap, then this is one I recommend. Only drawback is I think it is only available for iphone. I'm sure Android has a version or something similar. I just don't know what it is.

vCash
    Storm is great. But, my favorite by far still is Radar Scope. If you don't have it, the features with it are outstanding. It is a bit pricey ($9.99); but, it's well worth the cost. You can upgrade the service to an annual subscription for added features. I have chosen not to do so. I usually tune into 5-0 radio pro for the storm spotter info and radar scope simultaneously. I also use Storm for some of its feature, especially the lightening strikes. It is pretty useful for sporting events that I officiate for storm delays. Radar Scope has a super reflectivity radar as well as a lot of other options. I haven't really utilized Storm to the extent that you've described. The radar overlay w/ google maps is cool, but gets a bit busy for me. I would love to chase. Just never have. I'm a private pilot and use my apps primarily for flight planning. Thanks for the post!

vCash
    Oh yes, I have radarscope pro with all the bells and whistles and wouldn't dream of chasing without it. The main things I will be using Storm for is at a glance getting the gate to gate shear level of a storm and to plot potential storm intercept points. If I can see the direction a storm is moving and see that it will be an area with a good view in 15 minutes and there is a road there and I can be at a viewing spot in 10 minutes then I'm gone. If it would take me 20 minutes to get there then I'm looking for the next intercept potential.

Chasing is definitely an adrenaline rush. Or can be when you're not sitting at a truck stop parking lot for over 5 hours waiting for storms to fire and when they do you pick the wrong storm. I've gotten a tornado 3 of my last 4 chases so I can't complain too much.

vCash
    It's my favorite. Radar scope is over my head. Too deep. Storm is perfect for me.