Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPI now #20

vCash

RPI now #20

per warrennolan.com

vCash
    Awesome. That should continue to go up so long as we hold our own over the next few weeks. We need the sweep tomorrow.

vCash
    And OM still sitting at 9th. What a joke.

vCash
    As I said a week ago. Stop worrying about it. Win games and this shit takes care of itself. You can't predict who is going to beat who. No need to stroke over what we can't control....just win that's all.

vCash
    Any chance of UT-Martin DH getting rained out?

That would help.
    Leicester Till I Die

vCash
    Looking through the RPI's, we are 6-1 against teams that have higher RPIs than ours - USM, Vanderbilt, South Alabama, Mississippi.

I also didn't realize Florida Atlantic had continued their dominance. They are 19-4 with a 32 RPI

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Proud of where we sit but tell me why ole Missy is ranked 11? Who have they beaten? I don't keep up with them unless it's about sanctions, show cause, racism and spice stories

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ILOATHEBears View Post
    I don't keep up with them unless it's about sanctions, show cause, racism and spice stories

vCash
    Proud of where we sit but tell me why ole Missy is ranked 11? Who have they beaten? I don't keep up with them unless it's about sanctions, show cause, racism and spice stories
    Louisville 2 out of 3
    They also beat a good Coastal Carolina team

But the reason they're ranked high is because they made it to the SC series last week with only 2 losses, and a sweep by SC doesn't drop you all that far. They'll definitely drop this week, and if we beat them tomorrow, they'll drop quite a ways.

Banned
    vCash
    It's not a joke. It's just math. 75% of RPI is SOS and your opponents SOS. Ole Miss played 2 road games against a top 50 RPI team, that bumps their SOS significantly which offsets the drop to their winning percentage. Similarly, 75% of the bump we got to the #20 spot came just from playing a top 10 RPI team twice. We could have lost both games and still probably would have climbed into the top 25 or 30. Like it or not, that's just how the system works.

vCash
    Was that updated with the Vandy win over SC and the UGA win over Bama? Those games finished up around the time ours did and both ended up taking their series which is great for us. Should be an RPI booster from those 2

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    As I said a week ago. Stop worrying about it. Win games and this shit takes care of itself. You can't predict who is going to beat who. No need to stroke over what we can't control....just win that's all.
    I don't think anyone's ever been truly worried that we wouldn't have a good RPI if we kept winning SEC series. The only concern is our nonconference SOS, which going into the weekend was ranked 150th (which was 9th out of 14 SEC teams by the way). If we finish 20-10 in the SEC like we are on pace to do right now, it won't really matter and we'll host regardless. But if we end up 17-13 or 18-12 and on the hosting fringe, that nonconference SOS could become very important in the end. That's why many folks are keeping an eye on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    It's not a joke. It's just math. 75% of RPI is SOS and your opponents SOS. Ole Miss played 2 road games against a top 50 RPI team, that bumps their SOS significantly which offsets the drop to their winning percentage. Similarly, 75% of the bump we got to the #20 spot came just from playing a top 10 RPI team twice. We could have lost both games and still probably would have climbed into the top 25 or 30. Like it or not, that's just how the system works.
    Yes, and the RPI algorithm is flawed, very flawed. We aren't talking E=MC^2 here. Its arbitrarily weighted to what it is.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 04-02-2016 at 06:10 PM.

vCash
    I don't think anyone's ever been truly worried that we wouldn't have a good RPI if we kept winning SEC series. The only concern is our nonconference SOS, which going into the weekend was ranked 150th (which was 9th out of 14 SEC teams by the way). If we finish 20-10 in the SEC like we are on pace to do right now, it won't really matter and we'll host regardless. But if we end up 17-13 or 18-12 and on the hosting fringe, that nonconference SOS could become very important in the end. That's why many folks are keeping an eye on it.
    You can keep an eye on it but that won't help it change. We couldn't predict ucla, USC , Oregon and Oklahoma would be sub par. Nor can we predict they win out or lose out from here. So keeping an eye on it in April is really a waste of good energy but if that's what suits you ok.

vCash
    Yes, and the RPI algorithm is flawed, very flawed. We aren't talking E=MC^2 here. Its arbitrarily weighted to what it is.
    In what way is it flawed?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    In what way is it flawed?
    And I could ask how is it not flawed? Its a subjective weighting. Its a tool, no doubt, but its become the gold standard for post-season play and I think its relied on way too heavily.

Banned
    vCash
    You could certainly argue its flaws, but the same flaws that allowed Ole Miss to stay in the 9 spot are also what allowed us to climb into the top 20 over a 2 game period. It's also the same flaws that let us host in 2013 despite only going 16-14 in the SEC regular season. Regardless, it's the system we're stuck with, and it is unbiased.
    Last edited by HSVDawg; 04-02-2016 at 06:48 PM.

vCash
    You could certainly argue its flaws, but the same flaws that allowed Ole Miss to stay in the 9 spot are also what allowed us to climb into the top 20 over a 2 game period. It's also the same flaws that let us host in 2013 despite only going 16-14 in the SEC regular season. Regardless, it's the system we're stuck with, and it is unbiased.
    I'll certainly agree its unbiased. The formula is what it is.

vCash
    If everything about the network is true, judging the way the coaches act and watching the PR machine at Ole Miss I would not be surprise if there are bribes going to publications.

They are so damn obsess with being a National Brand they will do anything, pay any amount and give as many women they have to in order to reach their goal.

vCash
    Updated to 24 now