Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any kayak guys on here?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    We dropped the other day where the Pearl river crosses Highway 25 and kayaked down the camp site before low head dam.... of course stopping every so often to make sure folks are caught up on their beer drinking.
    Two years ago I paddled the spillway to Mayes Lake on a day when the discharge was low (very little current) and the wind was blowing south to north, the canoe would almost remain stationery in the water. That was some hard paddling, oh yeah had an 8 year old too, that trip turned from fun to work quickly. The Normally 3-4 hour trip took over 6.

Can't wait to do it again!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    That's awesome. The next kayak I get (and I'm not looking) will be a peddle drive like the native propel or hobie pa.
    I'm not sure what he has now but one of my friends sponsors was Native and he had a peddle one, not sure if he's still affiliated with them or what he has. He picked them up after he got 2nd place at the Advebture Fishing World Chamionships in he Everglades. He's always winning tournaments and getting new kayaks. He wants to make the paddle to some of the barrier islands, which he probably could, but I'd end up in Cuba. My wife and I are fairly active and both love fishing so she's actually fine with me getting one....as long as she gets ones too
    Last edited by Uncle Ruckus; 03-31-2016 at 12:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
    My wife and I are fairly active and both love fishing so she's actually fine with me getting one....as long as she gets ones too
    Isn't the kitchen crowded with her kayak in there?

vCash
    I'm glad to come across this thread, I've been really interested in getting a kayak for a while now. I live in north MS and I'd like to use one for fishing and general outdooring.. I sold my jon boat back in college and now I'm regretting it. What type of kayak and accessories would y'all recommend for a beginner?

I also drive an explorer, so I'm not sure how strenuous loading and unloading would be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hailmari View Post
    I'm glad to come across this thread, I've been really interested in getting a kayak for a while now. I live in north MS and I'd like to use one for fishing and general outdooring.. I sold my jon boat back in college and now I'm regretting it. What type of kayak and accessories would y'all recommend for a beginner?

I also drive an explorer, so I'm not sure how strenuous loading and unloading would be.
    I would absolutely get a Sit On Top kayak. You will not want a Sit In for fishing and general outdoor use. I would say a 12' is the best all around length for most people. It tracks better than a 10', but isn't as heavy and tough to load/unload as a larger kayak. Depending on your budget, there are tons of options. I think the Ascend 12' SOT from BassPro is the best bang for you buck out there. It has a nice raised seat, rod holders and storage and some cool accessories. Accessory wise, a life jacket, paddle leash, some type of milk crate (to put tackle/gear in, behind the seat) and anchor are what I would start with. You will quickly learn what you do and don't need after a few trips. The good thing about fishing lakes and calm bodies of water is that you can use just about anything for an anchor.

ETA: If you feel that kayak might be too heavy to load/unload from the top of an SUV, Academy has some very affordable/decent quality 12' kayaks in the Perception line. They will not be quite as stable, but that just means you probably won't be able to stand up while fishing.
    Last edited by SpeckleDawg; 04-08-2016 at 12:50 PM.

vCash
    The loading/unloading is easy if you have some wheels to go with it. I have the Acsend 128t and the ascend wheels that are sold separately and fit in the scupper holes. I bought a truck bed extender as well. With the wheels and extended bed it's a piece of cake to unload solo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    You will not want a Sit In for fishing and general outdoor use.
    As the owner of a sit-inside (Native Ultimate 12), why do you think they are not for fishing or general outdoor use? I fish out of mine exclusively, and hunt deer, turkey and ducks out of it. Plenty of room to haul gear, and a slight seat riser mod makes paddling much easier.

I will agree that some of the SI's may not be that great for those uses due to the cock-pit nature, but I have a hard time labeling the Native as not for the indented uses hailmari mentioned.

HM - I have a topper on my truck and use the Yakima Hully rollers and Maiko saddle. Works fine getting it on an off the top of the truck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post
    As the owner of a sit-inside (Native Ultimate 12), why do you think they are not for fishing or general outdoor use? I fish out of mine exclusively, and hunt deer, turkey and ducks out of it. Plenty of room to haul gear, and a slight seat riser mod makes paddling much easier.

I will agree that some of the SI's may not be that great for those uses due to the cock-pit nature, but I have a hard time labeling the Native as not for the indented uses hailmari mentioned.

HM - I have a topper on my truck and use the Yakima Hully rollers and Maiko saddle. Works fine getting it on an off the top of the truck.
    I don't consider the Native Ultimate to be a Sit In at all...I would consider that a hybrid, I guess. It's got tons of storage and I actually really like those. My problem with the standard sit in's for fishing is the, as you stated, closed in cockpit style. They don't have the same storage abilities, with easy access. They are also hot as hell just sitting in the sun fishing.

eta: just noticed that Native actually calls them a hybrid.
    Last edited by SpeckleDawg; 04-08-2016 at 03:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    I don't consider the Native Ultimate to be a Sit In at all...I would consider that a hybrid, I guess. It's got tons of storage and I actually really like those. My problem with the standard sit in's for fishing is the, as you stated, closed in cockpit style. They don't have the same storage abilities, with easy access. They are also hot as hell just sitting in the sun fishing.

eta: just noticed that Native actually calls them a hybrid.
    Gotcha. I fished a cockpit sytle sit-inside in VA and it is truly a sweat-box.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post

I would think a sit in would not be good in the gulf if you were to take on a swell