Thread: 1 Week to Braves Opener

vCash

1 Week to Braves Opener

I know we Braves fans don't have a whole lot to look forward to this season, so I thought I would give us a great moment in Braves history for your viewing pleasure.

For those of us old enough to have seen this, it is simply known as "The Fight"
    Ah the memories - Kurt Bevaqua, Champ Summers, Alan Wiggins, The Goose & Garvey against Murph, Bob Watson, Brad Komminsk, and full perm and arm cast Bob Horner plus a couple of fans!

vCash
    I'm actually excited for this year. Not because of the major league team winning games, I don't expect that to happen and don't really care if it does, to be honest.

But we'll get to see the first wave of young talent coming up - I expect to see Blair, Newcomb, Jenkins, and Mallex at a minimum this year, along with the further development of Folty, Banuelos, Wisler, Olivera, etc. And I think there's a chance we see Swanson, Sims, and maybe Albies as well.

And then there's the minor league system. I plan to be a frequent visitor to Rome games this year. It's gonna be fun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I know we Braves fans don't have a whole lot to look forward to this season, so I thought I would give us a great moment in Braves history for your viewing pleasure.

Ah the memories - Kurt Bevaqua, Champ Summers, Alan Wiggins, The Goose & Garvey against Murph, Bob Watson, Brad Komminsk, and full perm and arm cast Bob Horner plus a couple of fans!

Wonder how high P Perez was that night
    Last edited by parabrave; 03-29-2016 at 12:21 AM. Reason: spelling

vCash
    It's gonna be a long year for my Braves but I'm gonna focus on watching the young pitchers. There's some good young talent there. Gonna be in Atlanta on business in 3 weeks and gonna catch a couple games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post

I remember this lol!

vCash

Young braves

Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    It's gonna be a long year for my Braves but I'm gonna focus on watching the young pitchers. There's some good young talent there. Gonna be in Atlanta on business in 3 weeks and gonna catch a couple games.
    I know that the organization has been stockpiling young talent which is great. But you still have to have someone who can TEACH them and right now Fredi G and McDowell aren't them. Hell those two will probably ruin there arms in the next 2 years.

vCash
    I think McDowell is a really good pitching coach. Not sure why you think he's terrible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I think McDowell is a really good pitching coach. Not sure why you think he's terrible.
    Not sticking up for fredi? I wouldn't either and I agree about McDowell

vCash
    One reason, he will not stand up to Fredi G's overuse of the pitchers. I look to FG being gone once the move is made though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Not sticking up for fredi? I wouldn't either and I agree about McDowell
    Heck no.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    One reason, he will not stand up to Fredi G's overuse of the pitchers. I look to FG being gone once the move is made though.
    I don't even know what this means. McDowell is a good pitching coach.

vCash
    I will say this about the pitching coach. I think Roger has done a good job overall, but ever since the Braves abandoned Leo's throwing program, we have seen an exponential increase in arm injuries and re-injuries.

Under Leo, the Braves rarely had an arm injury. Steve Avery's shoulder is the most notable, and obviously John Smoltz had some issues.

I think it would be an interesting case study to evaluate throwing programs and their effects on arm injuries. A lot of arm injuries today are due to overuse at a younger age, and I'm not sure a throwing program will be much help for that.

I do feel Leo's throwing program had the perfect balance of proper rest and on the side throwing to maintain arm strength.

vCash
    I don't even know what this means. McDowell is a good pitching coach.
    Overuse of pitchers, JV is a prime example. heck 3 dam good pitchers ruined by Fredi. Smoot is right never saw this under Leo or Bobby.

vCash
    http://www.sbnation.com/longform/201...rofile-feature

Fantastic article from May of 2015 on Leo Mazzone.

vCash
    Braves announced that Frenchy made the opening day roster. He may do us some good as a pinch hitter.

vCash
    Overuse of pitchers, JV is a prime example. heck 3 dam good pitchers ruined by Fredi. Smoot is right never saw this under Leo or Bobby.
    My biggest criticism of Roger is that I think he is below average at identifying mechanical issues and correcting them in pitchers. He does a great job with sinker ball pitchers, but I don't think he handles finesse pitchers who need to vary their speed and deliveries very well.

Think about it this way. With Leo, Steve Avery had a shoulder issue that ended his career, and John Smotlz and Mike Hampton had ulnar collateral ligament tears. That's pretty much it as far as arm injuries.

With Roger, just off the top of my head, Brandon Beachy, Kris Medlin, Johnny Venters, EOF, Tim Hudson are pitchers that have had UCL replacement surgery, and Smoltz blew out his shoulder under Roger.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketCityDawg View Post
    Braves announced that Frenchy made the opening day roster. He may do us some good as a pinch hitter.
    Well this was known the minute he was signed. He has had a good spring training but how long till he become a strike our dping rally killing machine again.

vCash
    Well this was known the minute he was signed. He has had a good spring training but how long till he become a strike our dping rally killing machine again.
    I'm not so sure it was a done deal when he signed, but he did have a good Spring and earned his spot. His right handed bat off of the bench will be tons better than anything we had last year. Now, if he were a full time starter, I would be dreading what you mentioned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    My biggest criticism of Roger is that I think he is below average at identifying mechanical issues and correcting them in pitchers. He does a great job with sinker ball pitchers, but I don't think he handles finesse pitchers who need to vary their speed and deliveries very well.

Think about it this way. With Leo, Steve Avery had a shoulder issue that ended his career, and John Smotlz and Mike Hampton had ulnar collateral ligament tears. That's pretty much it as far as arm injuries.

With Roger, just off the top of my head, Brandon Beachy, Kris Medlin, Johnny Venters, EOF, Tim Hudson are pitchers that have had UCL replacement surgery, and Smoltz blew out his shoulder under Roger.
    I wonder how much this coincides with year-round tourney ball with that generation of pitchers. Seems McDowell isn't the only pitching coach dealing with arm trouble

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I wonder how much this coincides with year-round tourney ball with that generation of pitchers. Seems McDowell isn't the only pitching coach dealing with arm trouble
    I think its got a lot to do with it. Those young arms need an offseason. Coaches are trying to fix it with pitch counts, but it's more about appearances then pitches for young arms.