Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moved up to #5 in Baseball America

Banned
    vCash
    We are top five only when two guys are pitching. Rest of the staff pitching and we aren't even top 25.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    We are top five only when two guys are pitching. Rest of the staff pitching and we aren't even top 25.
    Probably not even top 100 given we can't even keep people in single digits when the rest of the staff is pitching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This is something we need to get fixed, but it's also being overblown by State fans. First, it's a small sample size. And second, it happens. I feel pretty confident that someone will step up to give us some consistency on Sundays. I can pretty much guarantee you that a ton of teams in the top 25 have a similar issue right now, but State fans notoriously evaluate us in a vacuum.
    I agree its a relatively small sample size and I am not going overboard about it but we have now seen a Johnny wholestaff implosion in 4 of our 7 losses so far. Those being FAU (10-6), EKU (16-12), Vandy (12-6) and GA (11-8). With even decent pitching we win 2 or 3 of those games. Its a significant concern no doubt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Probably not even top 100 given we can't even keep people in single digits when the rest of the staff is pitching.
    Daniel Brown threw 7 innings of 4-hit, 0-run ball against Oregon. We're taking 2 games and freaking out. Yes, there is reason for concern. But that doesn't mean we have to simply assume this is what our pitching will be like all year.

vCash
    I agree its a relatively small sample size and I am not going overboard about it but we have now seen a Johnny wholestaff implosion in 4 of our 7 losses so far. Those being FAU (10-6), EKU (16-12), Vandy (12-6) and GA (11-8). With even decent pitching we win 2 or 3 of those games. Its a significant concern no doubt.
    It's college baseball, there are going to be games like that. We've held opposing teams to 5 runs or fewer in 16 of our wins, 3 of our losses, and our one tie. I'm ok with our pitching right now. We need to find another dependable starter, but our pen has been pretty good in most games and a lot of our depth is young and learning.

vCash
    It's not so much the Sunday and midweek losses - it's what they represent. Come postseason, we are going to be in a bind. It will be hard to win any tournament or regional setting (other than maybe a super) with only two dependable arms.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    It's not so much the Sunday and midweek losses - it's what they represent. Come postseason, we are going to be in a bind. It will be hard to win any tournament or regional setting (other than maybe a super) with only two dependable arms.
    I agree, but we have plenty of time until then. I think it's more likely that we see 2-3 guys step up than to have none do so. So let's just let it play out before assuming we're not as good as people think because of this perceived problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    They monkey around with pitching too much on the third day. I guess since they are only using four or five pitchers in the first two games they need to put more in. I think they took the starter out too soon this past Saturday.

Banned
    vCash
    Is it too late for Elijah Staley to start pitching? Imagine that beast throwing downhill at you.

vCash
    I wish we would let Pilkington go longer. Hopefully he has a good night tomorrow night and will become a Sunday guy for us. In his last 2 outings vs. EKU and Valley State, he has thrown 98 pitches in 9 innings allowing only 1 run with 11 K's, 3 BB's and 5 hits. During the remainder of those two games (10 innings), the rest of our bullpen allowed 16 runs, 5 walks, 19 hits and 11 K's.

vCash
    Rpi says we over ranked.... #50.
    Usm #14
    Om #9
    Vandy #25
    Georgia #31
    http://www.d1baseball.com/rpi/
    Last edited by msstate7; 03-28-2016 at 01:08 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I'm honestly still pissed about that and opening weekend. We'd be top 3 if it weren't for losing those crap games. Maybe #1.
    More than you were at Mullen for the end of the LSU game?

vCash
    I don't understand our fanbase sometimes. We complain about the media not respecting us and then they give us respect and we still complain. I don't get it. Guys enjoy the ride. The team has flaws but so does everyone else. I watch other teams besides just us and we are as good as anyone. They're aren't any perfect teams out there. Florida probably closest but look what just happened to them. We are young and talented. Sure we gonna struggle some but we gonna win way more than we lose.

vCash
    I'm really glad to see us ranked that high. We have a brutal stretch coming up, so being highly ranked now will cushion the blow of perception if we drop some games in the next 3-4 weeks. We go 4-2 in our next 6 SEC games, and shit will begin to get Real.

vCash
    I agree, but we have plenty of time until then. I think it's more likely that we see 2-3 guys step up than to have none do so. So let's just let it play out before assuming we're not as good as people think because of this perceived problem.
    totally agree. That's why I'm not too worked up yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I'm honestly still pissed about that and opening weekend. We'd be top 3 if it weren't for losing those crap games. Maybe #1.
    FAU is a top 25 team right now- or at least they should be. They aren't a crap game.

vCash
    This is something we need to get fixed, but it's also being overblown by State fans. First, it's a small sample size. And second, it happens. I feel pretty confident that someone will step up to give us some consistency on Sundays. I can pretty much guarantee you that a ton of teams in the top 25 have a similar issue right now, but State fans notoriously evaluate us in a vacuum.

You just nailed every MSU fan. Complain about EKU everyday. Ignore series wins over Vandy on the road, South Alabama, Georgia, USC on the road, and a sweep of Oregon.

The other thing is we have time to fix it at this point. We have Pilkington who has pitched well up to this point- but his big test is tomorrow. As others have said, if he does well against USM he will probably get the next look. He might have gotten the start Sunday against Georgia if he was RH because of Cohen and Wes overplaying how UGA's hitters looked against our RH pitching. We're going to pitch a lot of people tomorrow so they may limit his pitch count on Tuesday and then see how he does Sunday on another limited pitch count.

If Pilkington isn't ready Zac Houston has some starting experience and the best he has looked this year was his last start. We certainly could go back to Daniel Brown as well- we just have to not overextend him and we're going to have to piggy back someone with him. A change of scenery might do Tatum some good as well and that's another option.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    They monkey around with pitching too much on the third day. I guess since they are only using four or five pitchers in the first two games they need to put more in. I think they took the starter out too soon this past Saturday.
    You are right about them monkeying around too much with the pitching. They threw a freshman because they overevaluated a generalized stat. Keegan was wild as hell. I don't know if they got him out too soon or not- and I'm not going to bitch about them taking anyone out too soon after they've been leaving people in way too long most of the time- but I seriously doubt Keegan would have gone much longer. You can only play with fire for so long before you get burned. Keegan was too hyped up and let his emotions affect the rest of his performance. Which is probably not unusual for a freshman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I don't understand our fanbase sometimes. We complain about the media not respecting us and then they give us respect and we still complain. I don't get it. Guys enjoy the ride. The team has flaws but so does everyone else. I watch other teams besides just us and we are as good as anyone. They're aren't any perfect teams out there. Florida probably closest but look what just happened to them. We are young and talented. Sure we gonna struggle some but we gonna win way more than we lose.
    Yep. Florida lost to a UK team that also took two of three from Georgia. I think that affected our national perception in a positive way a little bit in the eyes of the "experts" this weekend.

Georgia has a legit ace- he will win some games for them. And I think at the end of the year we'll probably find out that they are a decent team- like 30 wins or so.

vCash
    Daniel Brown threw 7 innings of 4-hit, 0-run ball against Oregon. We're taking 2 games and freaking out. Yes, there is reason for concern. But that doesn't mean we have to simply assume this is what our pitching will be like all year.
    I'm not sold on the Sunday performance vs Oregon being more meaningful than the two SEC Sundays. Per Kendall Rogers @ D1BB earlier today: "The Ducks are ranked 287 nationally in batting average, 212 in scoring, 241 in runs, 249 doubles per game, and 134 in homers per game."

I agree that we should expect a couple guys to improve as the year goes on, but at this point, no clue who that might be.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Give us your tired and weak and we will make them strong. Bring us your foreign songs and we will sing along.
    Leave us your broken dreams, we'll give them time to mend. There's still a lot of love living in the Promiseland"
    - as sung by Willie Nelson