Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When sports become more important than right or wrong

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I'm sick of seeing players get away with things for the sake of the need of fans to field a better team! Everybody here hated to see Winston on the field. I read your posts.

What are we teaching?
    Coach..... you speak the truth. Although we don't know all the facts in this case, there really is no excuse for beating a woman on the ground. Many fans will put winning ahead of good values. Everyone else have these types so to compete we need too as well. I've pretty much written off all pro sports for this and other reasons........college sports are not far behind for me.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    disturbing the peace
    Oh no let's never let him play at MSU he disturbed the peaceful village of Macon MS thats gotta be at least a stint in Parchman*********

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg62 View Post
    Oh no let's never let him play at MSU he disturbed the peaceful village of Macon MS thats gotta be at least a stint in Parchman*********
    The white knight sheep see the words "hit a woman" then completely freak out like this was a random unprovoked attack. Feminism = all the best parts of being male and female, without the responsibility.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    You sound like a Bear. Someone check this dudes I.P. address please.
    http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread...hlight=woozman

Scroll down to my post in this thread. Interesting that Coach also has "over 1,200 posts"...

vCash
    I'm sick of seeing players get away with things for the sake of the need of fans to field a better team!
    So he should be kept out of college because he was going to be a football player? Because I'm thinking if a normal high school student that had applied to and been accepted to state was involved with this, there wouldn't be any repercussion from the school absent a felony conviction. Not sure though.

People have definitely gone bat shit crazy over this story though. It's bad that it happened, but I think you can tell what sort of bubble some people live in on this board. Unfortunately, there are a lot of schools in the state where girls fighting is not abnormal. Still awful for a guy to get involved, but you can understand why maybe the "don't hit a girl" life lesson doesn't sink in quite as well with people that regularly see girls get in physical fights. He's going to face some consequences and should, but they're probably not going to be ruin your life type consequences and they probably shouldn't be depending on what comes out about the situation and his prior actions.

vCash
    He's not even a student at State yet. He's owned up to the mistake. Let the law deal with it. Concerning MSU it's a PR issue but doesn't really go beyond that. Pull scholarship? Bah

And GTHOM for good measure!
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    People have definitely gone bat shit crazy over this story though. It's bad that it happened, but I think you can tell what sort of bubble some people live in on this board. Unfortunately, there are a lot of schools in the state where girls fighting is not abnormal. Still awful for a guy to get involved, but you can understand why maybe the "don't hit a girl" life lesson doesn't sink in quite as well with people that regularly see girls get in physical fights. .
    You make a great point here that I probably havent conveyed very well to our readers and especially my faithful Bearshark readers:

As someone that coached for 7 years in schools that were predominantly black- seeing girls fight became somewhat normal. It's something that happened regularly. The girls fought girls as well as boys. I've seen 2 girls pick up a 10th grade football player in the cafeteria and slam him on the table- then commence to punching him repeatedly. Too many people live in their bubble of "you dont hit girls" have never had this happen to them or seen it happen. I can assure you- sometimes these girls dont give guys a damn choice. There are alot girls and women out there that will put a complete asswhoopin on ya.

Simmons made a mistake- and its being handled. But let's also remember- we wouldnt stop a regular student from entering State for the same thing.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I'm sick of seeing players get away with things for the sake of the need of fans to field a better team! Everybody here hated to see Winston on the field. I read your posts.

What are we teaching?
    Players enjoy some benefits but there are negatives too. If he wasn't a D1 signee nobody would have heard of it.

I'm confident Dan will handle this appropriately. There's no need for MSU fans to stoke this fire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taog Redloh View Post
    The white knight sheep see the words "hit a woman" then completely freak out like this was a random unprovoked attack. Feminism = all the best parts of being male and female, without the responsibility.
    This "responsibility" you speak of includes taking a beating from a man and women at the same time?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Kimchee put a person in the hospital for awhile- barely saw a thing about it.
    Freezus just signed a player that got in trouble for sticking his finger in other player's butthole- but thats ok too
    Jamal Mosely was accused of rape- transferred right in and played at OM
    Damore Stringfellow knocked a chick out and was accused of assault- transferred to OM
    Chad Kelly threatened to kill people at a Club as well as police officers. Chad Kelly had to be physically removed by campus police from the football facility by Dabo Sweeney. Football Coaches couldnt handle his outrage and called for help.

Simmons made a poor judgement. The woman he hit got up and walked away from the ordeal- and was out in da Club the next night. Thats a fact. Everybody's faux outrage over a some bad judgement that didnt really hurt anyone is way overblown.
    Well, I certainly don't want to use our friends to the North as to the model on how to handle these situations as they are no doubt the biggest "win at any cost" program in the country at the current time with their rogue recruiting and overlooking any kind of horrible behavior by their players (or prospective transfers) in the name of "rehabilitation" and "redemption". However, I personally don't know all that led up to what Simmons did and apparently this is very out of character for him so I will be shocked if he is not on our team this Fall but on a very short leash. I mean as far as I know the girl he hit did not have to go to the hospital and no charges have been filed as of yet so we just need to trust our coaches to handle this in the right way.

vCash
    If it were my daughter who was punched by the guy, I'd want the guy to spend a month in jail. Playing football is secondary. No 270lb guy needs to be punching a girl, even a so-called hippo. It's disgusting. It's inexcusable. It deserves jail time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmedlap View Post
    If it were my daughter who was punched by the guy, I'd want the guy to spend a month in jail. Playing football is secondary. No 270lb guy needs to be punching a girl, even a so-called hippo. It's disgusting. It's inexcusable. It deserves jail time.
    But to my point- your daughter most likely didnt grow up in a poor small town where fighting is something that is routine- not a surprise. Your daughter- after being hit like that- most likely wouldnt have been out at the Club the next night dancing and partying. Your daughter has zero to do with that situation.

Simmons was wrong- but blowing it out of proportion doesnt help things. Its a wayyyy much bigger deal on here and in social media than it is in Shuqualak. It's just Monday there and people are going on about their business.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Well, I certainly don't want to use our friends to the North as to the model on how to handle these situations as they are no doubt the biggest "win at any cost" program in the country at the current time with their rogue recruiting and overlooking any kind of horrible behavior by their players (or prospective transfers) in the name of "rehabilitation" and "redemption". However, I personally don't know all that led up to what Simmons did and apparently this is very out of character for him so I will be shocked if he is not on our team this Fall but on a very short leash. I mean as far as I know the girl he hit did not have to go to the hospital and no charges have been filed as of yet so we just need to trust our coaches to handle this in the right way.
    This is what I don't understand. We like to talk about how often they sweep things under the rug and insinuate that we're better, but then when it happens to us, our response is, 'They do it too." Well, yes, they do, but weren't we trying to separate ourselves?

I'm not saying Simmons shouldn't be allowed on the team. I've said that should be up to the school and Mullen and I'm fine with whatever they decide. But why can we not just say that this was a big mistake and is not ok? It's not that hard.

Banned
    vCash
    If it was my daughter? Shit what if the dead nephews were your dead kids and someone was speaking badly about them directly to your face? Are you going to drive your fist through their yapping mouth? You're god damn right you are and so is everyone else on this board not currently wearing liberal panties.

vCash
    Simmons was wrong, knows he was wrong, and has stated that he was wrong.

So, I think we as fans need to let the police handle it and wait to see what they do (probably not much of anything).

If he comes here to play then he needs to be told exactly what the expectations are of someone who wears the maroon and white, and we need to move on. If he gets pulled over for DUI, or beats up a girlfriend, or puts his finger in someone's butt, or rapes someone, or threatens to shoot up a bar, or gets high and falls out of a hotel window then he will have used up his last chance and we can cut him loose.

vCash
    Take the moral high road if you want, but don't complain when the other guys who do consider sports more important than right or wrong beat you. Not saying that makes it ok, but that's just how it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadrupleOption View Post
    Simmons was wrong, knows he was wrong, and has stated that he was wrong.

So, I think we as fans need to let the police handle it and wait to see what they do (probably not much of anything).

If he comes here to play then he needs to be told exactly what the expectations are of someone who wears the maroon and white, and we need to move on. If he gets pulled over for DUI, or beats up a girlfriend, or puts his finger in someone's butt, or rapes someone, or threatens to shoot up a bar, or gets high and falls out of a hotel window then he will have used up his last chance and we can cut him loose.
    /\ Sanity /\

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    Take the moral high road if you want, but don't complain when the other guys who do consider sports more important than right or wrong beat you. Not saying that makes it ok, but that's just how it is.
    Uh...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This is what I don't understand. We like to talk about how often they sweep things under the rug and insinuate that we're better, but then when it happens to us, our response is, 'They do it too." Well, yes, they do, but weren't we trying to separate ourselves?

I'm not saying Simmons shouldn't be allowed on the team. I've said that should be up to the school and Mullen and I'm fine with whatever they decide. But why can we not just say that this was a big mistake and is not ok? It's not that hard.
    Who has said it wasn't a big mistake or has said it was OK? Are you reading the same message boards I am? If this was a pattern of behavior for Simmons I wouldn't want to cut him any slack but it appears this was an isolated incident in a bad situation. Mullen in conjunction with the athletic administration are the ones who will decide how to handle this though, not the fans on social media.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Who has said it wasn't a big mistake or has said it was OK? Are you reading the same message boards I am? If this was a pattern of behavior for Simmons I wouldn't want to cut him any slack but it appears this was an isolated incident in a bad situation. Mullen in conjunction with the athletic administration are the ones who will decide how to handle this though, not the fans on social media.
    Obviously. But that doesn't mean our fans' responses in some cases haven't been embarrassing.