Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We are lacking in several areas.....

vCash

We are lacking in several areas.....

After having a 5-1 lead we piss it away and end the game in a tie due to a curfew. Ties are BS in baseball but whatever.

Us not being on TV Friday and today and not being at home allowed me to watch a few other games. We are lacking in several areas, consistent relief pitching, timely hitting, obviously we are lacking on the defensive side a little too or Collins wouldn't be at 3rd base. We also lack on the coaching side or we would see more Cody Brown and a few others, we would establish a consistent lineup..........

That being said that isn't our biggest miss. We lack intensity, we lack aggressiveness, we lack the right attitude. Watch an LSU game and watch their attitude, their approach at the plate. There is a difference in the way the players go about the game. We lack gritty, dirty, lay it all on the line, refuse to lose players like Pirtle or Frazier. I don't believe it is a difference in talent, it is a difference in focus and desire. LSU is just an example but you can see it in their eyes, you can see it in the way they enter the batters box, you can see it in the way a bat doesn't sit on their shoulder long. They are focus, aggressive and refuse to lose. Of course they will lose some games but why don't we have it and where do we get it?

I find Mainieri to be a whiny little bitch so I have a hard time believing it starts there but maybe he just stays out of the way. I don't know if it is the players that step up and lead the others or where it comes from but even their dugout is different. We look like we are watching a Tball game with nothing on the line, they look like they would give anything to be in the game, that if they just got one swing they could make it count. We look like we are waiting for the game to end and hoping someone will take us to get ice cream after the game.

It is a difference in attitude. We don't have that grit, that refuse to lose attitude and we will continue to struggle until someone steps up and leads this team. Now I am going back to drinking.

Banned
    vCash
    I think what you just described is indicative of the current junior class on campus. They seem soft. I think the current freshmen are wired differently though, much tougher. I may be wrong. Either way, we still have a chance to be pretty damn good.

vCash
    I agree and have been saying the same thing. I think it has to do with Cohen meddling and not just letting the guys play. That edge and grit comes with being confident and when you're always worried about what coach is gonna do or if your even gonna play that day it is hard to get in the zone. My high school coach was a lot like that. He never knew when to let us just play, always overthought everything and we couldn't get settled in. With the level of talent we have, Cohen needs to pick the best ones and roll them out there and just tell them to play ball. Team won't change until Cohen does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by weblow View Post
    After having a 5-1 lead we piss it away and end the game in a tie due to a curfew. Ties are BS in baseball but whatever.

Us not being on TV Friday and today and not being at home allowed me to watch a few other games. We are lacking in several areas, consistent relief pitching, timely hitting, obviously we are lacking on the defensive side a little too or Collins wouldn't be at 3rd base. We also lack on the coaching side or we would see more Cody Brown and a few others, we would establish a consistent lineup..........

That being said that isn't our biggest miss. We lack intensity, we lack aggressiveness, we lack the right attitude. Watch an LSU game and watch their attitude, their approach at the plate. There is a difference in the way the players go about the game. We lack gritty, dirty, lay it all on the line, refuse to lose players like Pirtle or Frazier. I don't believe it is a difference in talent, it is a difference in focus and desire. LSU is just an example but you can see it in their eyes, you can see it in the way they enter the batters box, you can see it in the way a bat doesn't sit on their shoulder long. They are focus, aggressive and refuse to lose. Of course they will lose some games but why don't we have it and where do we get it?

I find Mainieri to be a whiny little bitch so I have a hard time believing it starts there but maybe he just stays out of the way. I don't know if it is the players that step up and lead the others or where it comes from but even their dugout is different. We look like we are watching a Tball game with nothing on the line, they look like they would give anything to be in the game, that if they just got one swing they could make it count. We look like we are waiting for the game to end and hoping someone will take us to get ice cream after the game.

It is a difference in attitude. We don't have that grit, that refuse to lose attitude and we will continue to struggle until someone steps up and leads this team. Now I am going back to drinking.
    It is because our kids are being taught that the sport is a passionless exercise in mathematical equation solving. They are being taught that you don't need talent, you don't need guts, you don't ever take initiative, you don't need a killer instinct, you don't have to be determined, and that there's nothing you can do as an individual to make a difference in the outcome. All you have to do is make the right (non-stop) adjustments according to formulas, percentages, and trends. Of course, you should never take into account that the successful side of said trends and percentages is probably due to somebody's talent, guts, initiative, determination, and killer instinct in those situations. It's BS, and they are buying into it or have been placed into submission and/or resignation to it.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    It is because our kids are being taught that the sport is a passionless exercise in mathematical equation solving. They are being taught that you don't need talent, you don't need guts, you don't ever take initiative, you don't need a killer instinct, you don't have to be determined, and that there's nothing you can do as an individual to make a difference in the outcome. All you have to do is make the right (non-stop) adjustments according to formulas, percentages, and trends. Of course, you should never take into account that the successful side of said trends and percentages is probably due to somebody's talent, guts, initiative, determination, and killer instinct in those situations. It's BS, and they are buying into it or have been placed into submission and/or resignation to it.
    Yeah this is all pretty much bullshit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taog Redloh View Post
    Yeah this is all pretty much bullshit.
    I hope you're right about the current freshmen and Cohen will get out of the way. But we know he won't.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Our pitching staff has talent
    We have older guys with talent- Brown, Robson, Rooker, Collins, etc
    We have a bonafied top-notch 3 hole hitter
    We have some talented Freshman

No Mora Excuses- get it done
    Last edited by Coach34; 03-06-2016 at 06:33 PM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taog Redloh View Post
    I think what you just described is indicative of the current junior class on campus. They seem soft. I think the current freshmen are wired differently though, much tougher. I may be wrong. Either way, we still have a chance to be pretty damn good.
    Painfully agree

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    I agree and have been saying the same thing. I think it has to do with Cohen meddling and not just letting the guys play. That edge and grit comes with being confident and when you're always worried about what coach is gonna do or if your even gonna play that day it is hard to get in the zone. My high school coach was a lot like that. He never knew when to let us just play, always overthought everything and we couldn't get settled in. With the level of talent we have, Cohen needs to pick the best ones and roll them out there and just tell them to play ball. Team won't change until Cohen does.
    Maybe its just MSU baseball. We essentially had the same problem under Ron "that's baseball" Polk. No real toughness or grit then either for the most part. There were years we had much superior talent to most anyone else in the SEC back in those days but still never won many championships and never got as far in the CWS as we have under Cohen.

vCash
    All me to summarize....

We aren't very good. Coaching to players.

I agree.

vCash
    Z
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    No Mora Excuses- get it done
    We are 8 years in with one outstanding run. He makes way too much money for that kind of production. So, to echo Coach's sentiment, this year is it. Put us in the regionals and perform admirably, host or not, or pack your bags for a JC job somewhere.

Banned
    vCash
    2 seed at a non-National seed is the worst we should tolerate.

Top 24 team or curtains for Cohen. Can't afford to waste this young talent with the meddler.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Painfully agree
    Yep

vCash
    I disagree that Gavin is soft. I cant speak for his leadership but I have been on the field to see him. The kid wants to be great more so than any player I have seen. He tries so freaking hard that you feel like hes going to make a mistake cause hes trying so hard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Painfully agree
    Painfully agree as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Maybe its just MSU baseball. We essentially had the same problem under Ron "that's baseball" Polk. No real toughness or grit then either for the most part. There were years we had much superior talent to most anyone else in the SEC back in those days but still never won many championships and never got as far in the CWS as we have under Cohen.
    I think that's a good observation. There is talent, and there are guys that may not have a lot of God given athleticism that are just tough as hell and somehow will themselves to reaching their max potential. Ideally you want a combination of both- like Will Clark, Graveman, Frazier, Easley, etc. But it's just hard to find that.

And if I had to pick one- give me toughness over guys that are just "talented" with a lot of "potential". It's almost impossible to get someone that has great talent and isn't mentally tough to be mentally tough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    Z

We are 8 years in with one outstanding run. He makes way too much money for that kind of production. So, to echo Coach's sentiment, this year is it. Put us in the regionals and perform admirably, host or not, or pack your bags for a JC job somewhere.
    Did you forget about 2011 and 2012? We made a SR and were about six outs or whatever from Omaha, and then we won the SEC Tournament in 2012. It's not like we had seven losing seasons and one where we had a magical season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Did you forget about 2011 and 2012? We made a SR and were about six outs or whatever from Omaha, and then we won the SEC Tournament in 2012. It's not like we had seven losing seasons and one where we had a magical season.
    THIS! Sometimes we are shortsighted as a fan base.

vCash
    Here is where we are:

2013- Played for the NC
    2014- 2 seed-blew a Regional from the Winners Bracket
    2015- Total shit year
    2016- Team that is talented enough to be in the top 32 come Regional time

No Mora Excuses
    We are in Year 8- we've been good enough to host once
    20% of our fanbase has never been on board with Cohen because of Polk
    We are building a baseball Mecca
    Big Boosters are withdrawing donations for said stadium because of our coach and where the program is

He has to get it done this year- no choice. Support the hell out of the team, go to games, give them all the help we can- and see where we end up.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    It's not like we had seven losing seasons and one where we had a magical season.
    You're right and I don't mean to imply that. What I am saying is that our progression, as a program, is not where it should be in year eight. One host in his tenure to this point is not acceptable for a program that puts as much emphasis on the sport as we do. We should at least be in the discussion as a host site on a fairly regular basis. And we should never, ever even be close to missing the SEC tourney. And he has that on his resume also.