Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All you lawyers saying $75mil was too high....

vCash

All you lawyers saying $75mil was too high....

Erin Andrews just got $55mil awarded to her. Sounds to me like she should've asked for more. Hope this forces all hotels to tighten up security.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    Erin Andrews just got $55mil awarded to her. Sounds to me like she should've asked for more. Hope this forces all hotels to tighten up security.
    Steve Avery sued Manitowoc County for 34 million for false imprisoning him for eighteen years and he got life in prison for his reward. Andrews has a shitty quality video made of her naked and she gets $55 million. Seems fair.

vCash
    And for those worried about poor Marriott getting the blame and not assigning blame to the stalker, it was split 51%/49% stalker/hotel liability. So Marriott owes $26M and the stalker owes $28M, which will never be paid. That's why you name all parties in a lawsuit so that the courts can sort out proper liability in one place instead of having a bunch of different lawsuits against different defendants in different courts such that you might end up winning against all of them and have it add up to more than the damages you were seeking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Steve Avery sued Manitowoc County for 34 million for false imprisoning him for eighteen years and he got life in prison for his reward. Andrews has a shitty quality video made of her naked and she gets $55 million. Seems fair.
    Avery would've probably won a lot more than he settled for if he hadn't needed quick cash to hire defense attorneys over his murder charge. Also, different states, with different tort laws, and over a decade difference in time.

It's also possible to think that Andrews deserved to win this lawsuit AND think Steve Avery deserved every bit of the $34M he wanted for wrongful imprisonment before he had to settle.

vCash
    Steve Avery was suing the clownshow investigators, not the county (from what I remember). The investigators were liable here and we're most likely worth a helluva lot less than $35mil.

Care to guess how much Marriott is worth? I'll hang up and listen.

vCash
    Guess 75MM was indeed too much if she got 55MM- half of which will never be paid
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Guess 75MM was indeed too much if she got 55MM- half of which will never be paid
    Is your problem with it really over seeking $75M instead of $55M? Because that just seems like splitting hairs and missing the forest for the trees imo.

And who wouldn't rather ask for too much and get some of that instead of asking for too little?

vCash
    1/2 of 55MM still a nice day for her. That should ease the pain.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Is your problem with it really over seeking $75M instead of $55M? Because that just seems like splitting hairs and missing the forest for the trees imo.

And who wouldn't rather ask for too much and get some of that instead of asking for too little?
    Once someone starts digging in heels, they'll find whatever idiotic reason to keep backing their ignorant claims. We've seen two do it in this thread alone.

vCash
    Uh....o....k?

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Steve Avery made the mistake of murdering a woman and burning her body while his trial was ongoing. Rookie*

vCash
    More...if you say so. I agree about hotel security. I like the job Erin does and as a pragmatist, know that this has not hurt her marketability with the sports world.

Just a thought, ID love it if every media outlet that published images of this were made to help foot 1/2 the monetary part. The fella that did it should spend time in LA county with some real sex offenders.

The real purpose of the suit should be to prevent in the future.

vCash
    So who ACTUALLY will pay? My guess is Marriot is insured for this. So that means that those who pay for liability insurance will pay for it. THAT will be passed on to their customers as a cost of doing business. That means when you get right down to it that WE pay for it. Cheers.

Banned
    vCash
    Absurd. Give her half a mil and call it a day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    More...if you say so. I agree about hotel security. I like the job Erin does and as a pragmatist, know that this has not hurt her marketability with the sports world.

Just a thought, ID love it if every media outlet that published images of this were made to help foot 1/2 the monetary part. The fella that did it should spend time in LA county with some real sex offenders.

I think the $26 mil that the Marriott owners are going to pay is a pretty nice incentive to tighten up security.

She'll likely see very little of the $28mil the pervert is being forced to pay.

vCash
    The lawsuit is against the franchise owner, the management firm operating the hotel, and the stalker. I'm sure she will get much more money out of the first two than the latter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post

Isn't that how punitive damages work?

Also, a pic like the pic below is pretty "revealing" for what she normally wears on tv, but is a long way from being naked. But if you are trying say posting publicly available clothed pics is as bad as posting creepy taken nude pics against her will through a peep hole is the same thing, then you must do really well with the ladies. It's really like saying a chick wearing a short skirt is asking to get raped.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post

I think the whole thing is ridiculous and she should have been awarded a couple million and thats it. She has profited from the video- whether she wanted to or not. Anything over $2MM is ridiculous

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    So who ACTUALLY will pay? My guess is Marriot is insured for this. So that means that those who pay for liability insurance will pay for it. THAT will be passed on to their customers as a cost of doing business. That means when you get right down to it that WE pay for it. Cheers.
    Ed Zachery and twice on Sunday. People that dont see this are missing "the forest for the trees"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I think the whole thing is ridiculous and she should have been awarded a couple million and thats it. She has profited from the video- whether she wanted to or not. Anything over $2MM is ridiculous
    That's not a deterrent to the hotel to overhaul their system so that other stalkers can't figure out which rooms people are in by calling and asking to be connected through.