Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Former player Rod Gibson added to the staff???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Do you think Mullen is preparing to Ole Miss to go on probation?

Why else do you allocate this significant of resources to the in-state recruiting?

It's almost like Mullen has been given a heads up that the state is about to be his & he is loading up on in-state guys to fend off Bama, LSU, & Auburn once Ole Miss is out of the picture
    I think you are probably right at least to an extent.

He's in a good spot because now he has developed Dak- and that has resulted in us landing QB's like Keytaeon Thompson. We need to get a great RB to compliment him like we had Josh to compliment Dak- and that's probably Hill, although I hope we find a way to get Akers and Reddix too.

Now he just has to wait until Saban retires and hopefully Auburn and Arkansas will stay where they are relative to our program for awhile. No guarantee in any of that though.

There are definitely some similarities where we are now and where we were right before Jackie made his big run with us. Actually I'm sure we are in an even better position now than we were then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    Mullen has been reading "The Art of War". He let Freeze destroy himself and now he is preparing to dominate. The x-factor in all of this is the NCAA's willingness to put their foot down and give OM the punishments they deserve.

Back when everyone was complaining about the guys we "lost" I tried to suggest that Mullen was already addressing the recruiting void left by Tony Hughes departure. And boy has he addressed it. It's almost like recruiting overkill (I know that does not and cannot exist). I think we will be better than we ever have been before.
    I like Tony Hughes at Jackson State. Based on what I can tell, he is going to recruit Mississippi HARD. With their academic standards there, he will get some guys like Tony Bridges away from JUCO and keep them from going other places and might even keep a few diamonds from going other places.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    The same Rod Gibson that scored the glorious TD against LSU on the last play of the game back in the 90's? Supposedly knocked out and could not recall scoring.
    I spent quite a bit of time talking and getting to know the guy who knocked him out. Mortgage bidness in Metairie back in the day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    The same Rod Gibson that scored the glorious TD against LSU on the last play of the game back in the 90's? Supposedly knocked out and could not recall scoring.
    Good thing replay wasn't a thing back then

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ray Valentine View Post
    Good thing replay wasn't a thing back then
    How do you figure? He got in. I dare you to prove otherwise. Even under the current rules, it's a TD. Call on the field was TD and there was no angle you could tell otherwise. Thus, TD stands.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    How do you figure? He got in. I dare you to prove otherwise. Even under the current rules, it's a TD. Call on the field was TD and there was no angle you could tell otherwise. Thus, TD stands.
    You are correct based on the rules. However, it didn't stop them from giving bama a td in 14 without evidence. So yea we could've gotten screwed then too.

Banned
    vCash
    The guy that made the knock out hit was a pretty cool guy. I wish I had a reason to doubt his take on that play but I don't. He emphatically said rod's knee hit the ground and miraculously made a 1/2 yd fall/crawl over the goal line in an unconscious state. He said he didn't know how rod hung on to the ball. I also remember him saying "I knocked his ass out "

vCash
    I was at the game...We scored on the play before that. Wish we had replay for that play.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUDogFan View Post
    I was at the game...We scored on the play before that. Wish we had replay for that play.
    So was i. ..and I thought we had scored on that one too

vCash
    Well the next year an LSU RB scored with Eugene Clinton holding the ball 3 yards away. He fumbled around the 2 or 3 yard line and the ball rolled straight to Eugene The Machine Clinton. We lost the game in Overtime so that TD definitely help decide the game. Strange that LSU fans never bring that up.

vCash
    Also I am pretty sure Anthony Dixon scored on the play prior to Tyson Lee trying to sneak in to the endzone in 2009. It isn't even close how many calls have went LSUs way and we get one that is even questionable and people want to debate it.