Page 60 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 2284

Thread: Recruiting 2017

vCash
    Just listened to Tom Luganbill talk about Keytaon Thompson on Bo Bounds and I sense that he's never actually seen him play. ESPN has him rated as a 79 3 star.

Bo asked about why Key wasn't in an all star game or in ESPN's top 300 and Luganbill replied that Key was too raw, too raw.

Did all this while glowing about Myles Brennen. Brennan can't hold Key's jock.

I respect Lug's opinion, but hard to imagine how he could miss this badly on Key. My only conclusion is that he hasn't seen them both play.

Btw, Key picked up a Clemson offer right before enrolling and an Oregon coach told Mike Detillier that Key was the best QB in the South
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 01-05-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Btw, Key picked up a Clemson offer right before enrolling....
    Didn't Herman also offer him and go after him pretty hard as soon as he got the Texas job?
    Last edited by sandwolf; 01-05-2017 at 11:17 AM.

vCash
    Just listened to Tom Luganbill talk about Keytaon Thompson on Bo Bounds and I sense that he's never actually seen him play. ESPN has him rated as a 79 3 star.

Bo asked about why Key wasn't in an all star game or in ESPN's top 300 and Luganbill replied that Key was too raw, too raw.

I respect Lug's opinion, but hard to imagine how he could miss this badly on Key. My only conclusion is that he hasn't seen them both play.

Btw, Key picked up a Clemson offer right before enrolling and an Oregon coach told Mike Detillier that Key was the best QB in the South
    That looks pretty bad on Lug's part if he can't at least take the time to look at Key's footage from the State championship game. I mean I don't have a clue how Key is not in every all-star game around after being the Louisiana Gatorade Player of the Year and his unreal stat line, especially given Key's size (I mean we are not talking about pint size Dylan Favre here putting up stats against inferior competition). And agreed, anyone who thinks Brennan above Key as a college football prospect should be dismissed out of hand.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Pretty lame excuse if you ask me. If Gay goes to LSU just because OM is out of the way then we were never going to get him anyway. Just like we were never going to get Cam Akers. I only agree with your premise in that a lot of the guys over the past few years that we lost to OM where we THOUGHT we were second, we were not. Pretty much like the CJ Avery deal this year.
    I wasn't making an excuse for us not getting him. I have no idea what his interest in LSU is. My point was, from a macro view, State and OM heavily consolidate their recruiting resources (both coaching staff and otherwise) on elite in-state kids. Over the past 10 years, it has been very difficult for out of state programs to get their foot in the door with the Jeffrey Simmons, AJ Brown, Leo Lewis types. The juice wasn't worth the squeeze, so they utilized their resources elsewhere. Now with OM out of the picture, you are going to start seeing more of a push from neighboring SEC and other Power 5 programs for a lot of these MS kids. It is inevitable and has already started with guys like Cam Akers.

vCash
    I read where Gay is originally from Louisiana. Don't know if true or not, and no one should panic over it, but I believe LSU is a huge threat.

vCash

That's some dumb ass shit from Luganbill. Key is about as raw as 80-90% of the incoming freshmen qb's. He's a top 5 college qb in the country, I wouldn't say that if I didn't believe it. Espn has agenda, I will say that as well.

vCash

ESPN likely only saw him at the Elite 11 regionals where he supposedly had a bad day. That was the reason he as a 3 star on 247 until game film was released.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jumbo View Post
    ESPN likely only saw him at the Elite 11 regionals where he supposedly had a bad day. That was the reason he as a 3 star on 247 until game film was released.
    Ahh. Good ole 7 on 7 evaluations that have very little to do with moving a football team down the field. These are the same people that hated Dak and currently have the North Carolina QB as a better draft prospect than Deshaun Watson, who is CLEARLY the best QB in the country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    I read where Gay is originally from Louisiana. Don't know if true or not, and no one should panic over it, but I believe LSU is a huge threat.
    Kind of funny how between Saddique Charles and Gay it has become popular to be from Louisiana. Do any Louisiana or Alabama guys brag about being from MS?

Personally I see all this Gay and LSU stuff as a ploy to build up drama. I just can't imagine our staff, town, and alumni would allow another Starkville guy to leave.

I think we get him. Recruiting is full of sound and fury signifying nothing and see this as a lot of that.

vCash
    Personally I see all this Gay and LSU stuff as a ploy to build up drama. I just can't imagine our staff, town, and alumni would allow another Starkville guy to leave.

Well I don't know about that.

Banned
    vCash
    Kind of funny how between Saddique Charles and Gay it has become popular to be from Louisiana. Do any Louisiana or Alabama guys brag about being from MS?

I think we get him. Recruiting is full of sound and fury signifying nothing and see this as a lot of that.
    I think it's down to us and LSU and I think it is 60/40

vCash
    Biscuiteater's post on sps...

"Yeah, and LSU is becoming desperate to sign a couple of LBs. They lose 2 SRs, have 0 commits, signed 0 two years ago & only 1 LB last year. They have made Willie Gay their #1 target. Summary from LSU's Dandy Don for those interested ..

LSU?s recruiting class suffered a blow yesterday when inside linebacker Monty Rice flipped from LSU to Georgia. Even before this happened, linebacker was LSU?s biggest remaining position of need in this year?s class with only outside linebacker Patrick Queen on board. Now, with Rice (6-1, 227, Madison, Ala.) set to enroll at Georgia this week, the need becomes even greater, especially at inside linebacker where LSU has no current commitments at all and will be without seniors Kendell Beckwith and Duke Riley this coming season. LSU?s trouble recruiting linebackers is nothing new, as last year LSU signed only one, and the year before signed none.

Shortly after the news broke of Rice?s de-commitment, it quickly traveled to San Antonio, Texas, where it was well-received by linebacker Willie Gay at the US Army Team East All-Stars practice. According to Jesse Simonton of SEC Country, Gay responded with, ?Did they have a linebacker de-commit today? Well tell them Willie Gay is on his way.? He went on to explain, ?With Coach Aranda, I?m going to get developed. The swagger. The family. The feeling. I just like the way they play football.? The article also says that Gay immediately encouraged Oklahoma linebacker commit Jacob Phillips, a top Tigers target, to join him at LSU."

I really hope that last line isn't true

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Biscuiteater's post on sps...

"Yeah, and LSU is becoming desperate to sign a couple of LBs. They lose 2 SRs, have 0 commits, signed 0 two years ago & only 1 LB last year. They have made Willie Gay their #1 target. Summary from LSU's Dandy Don for those interested ..

LSU?s recruiting class suffered a blow yesterday when inside linebacker Monty Rice flipped from LSU to Georgia. Even before this happened, linebacker was LSU?s biggest remaining position of need in this year?s class with only outside linebacker Patrick Queen on board. Now, with Rice (6-1, 227, Madison, Ala.) set to enroll at Georgia this week, the need becomes even greater, especially at inside linebacker where LSU has no current commitments at all and will be without seniors Kendell Beckwith and Duke Riley this coming season. LSU?s trouble recruiting linebackers is nothing new, as last year LSU signed only one, and the year before signed none.

Shortly after the news broke of Rice?s de-commitment, it quickly traveled to San Antonio, Texas, where it was well-received by linebacker Willie Gay at the US Army Team East All-Stars practice. According to Jesse Simonton of SEC Country, Gay responded with, ?Did they have a linebacker de-commit today? Well tell them Willie Gay is on his way.? He went on to explain, ?With Coach Aranda, I?m going to get developed. The swagger. The family. The feeling. I just like the way they play football.? The article also says that Gay immediately encouraged Oklahoma linebacker commit Jacob Phillips, a top Tigers target, to join him at LSU."

I really hope that last line isn't true
    Welp.

vCash
    Ari or IYOK, how do you guys think we close in recruiting with the spots that we have left?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    Welp.
    It's not a welp because our staff simply can't afford to miss on Gay. After a 5-7 year and missing on Lashley and Brown, the school simply can't sell that it's a big time program when they can't land Starkville players. I just don't see our university not going all in to get him. Can't let it happen again.

Gay to MSU makes too much sense. I think we get him.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Gay will be a Dawg!!
    No Signature

Banned
    vCash
    If we lose two big recruits out of Starkville things wil get really uncomfortable in a hurry.

Banned
    vCash
    It's not a welp because our staff simply can't afford to miss on Gay. After a 5-7 year and missing on Lashley and Brown, the school simply can't sell that it's a big time program when they can't land Starkville players. I just don't see our university not going all in to get him. Can't let it happen again.

Gay to MSU makes too much sense. I think we get him.
    I hope you are right.

vCash
    LSU actually needs OLBs..... so this may have legs. But Willie wants to play with Kobe and he's been wanting to play next to Leo for a while..... so there's that.

vCash
    Why the heck would we listen to Dandy fricking Don?