Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Renfroe is being promoted

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyPowers2 View Post
    I think what C34 was meaning to say was he would get hot and then cold and then hot and then cold. Don't be so argumentative especially when your own stats show that C34 was, for the most part, right. Renfroe is going to be fine, he is still young.
    If my tone comes across as argumentative, it's probably because I've seen Coach spew this stuff elsewhere and have an obvious personal vendetta against Renfroe. I don't think the guy is a god, I just think it's strange a State fan would try to overly underrate what the kid has done everywhere. He's the definition of a guy who would rather be able to come back here in 2 years and say 'I was right, Renfroe can't hack it' than 'I was wrong, he's awesome'.

See above on Dixon. Who thought Dixon would tear up the league? But I guess Coach is Nostradamus.

I know he was saying he was hot and cold. My point is, he wasn't. 2-3 games is not a streak either way in baseball. Using a 20 AB sample where a guy hit .150 as proof he is 'real erratic' is absurd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    If my tone comes across as argumentative, it's probably because I've seen Coach spew this stuff elsewhere and have an obvious personal vendetta against Renfroe. I don't think the guy is a god, I just think it's strange a State fan would try to overly underrate what the kid has done everywhere. He's the definition of a guy who would rather be able to come back here in 2 years and say 'I was right, Renfroe can't hack it' than 'I was wrong, he's awesome'.

See above on Dixon. Who thought Dixon would tear up the league? But I guess Coach is Nostradamus.

I know he was saying he was hot and cold. My point is, he wasn't. 2-3 games is not a streak either way in baseball. Using a 20 AB sample where a guy hit .150 as proof he is 'real erratic' is absurd.
    I have nothing to say to this, but welcome smoot. You were one of my favorite posters on SPS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    I have nothing to say to this, but welcome smoot. You were one of my favorite posters on SPS.
    Thanks!

vCash
    Renfroe was cut from Hillcrest in the 9th grade. Let that sink in. (Note: This was well after the end of the Paul Wyczawski era -- his player development program and ideals were practically completely gone from that program by this point. Don't want that legacy being associated with what came after him.)

Kid didn't play competitive baseball growing up prior to that beyond youth leagues and allstar teams. Not on a select/well-coached level. He didn't get much coaching and didn't get challenged at Copiah Academy. In reality, he's been playing "competitive well-coached baseball" for 3 years now. He came further in 3 years at MSU than any player I ever remember -- and still has a ton of room to improve and grow.

I don't see any purpose in trying to define his ceiling right now. He's still learning to play the game. Is he a big league hitter right now? No. But can he be? Why speak on it one way or another until we see where he is at this point next year? LITERALLY this time last year, he was made look foolish by your average college curve ball. My how that changed in a short period of time...

And Renfroe did slump at the end of the season(I can't even begin to think about the mental pressure that was on him) -- but that's not an indictment of "him not being able to hit good pitching". He hit elite staffs early in the season just fine against Arky, LSU, Kentucky, etc...

vCash
    If my tone comes across as argumentative, it's probably because I've seen Coach spew this stuff elsewhere and have an obvious personal vendetta against Renfroe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXmAPgpeYqI
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Renfroe will be in San Diego soon. His tools speak for themselves. He will get even better teaching during winter and spring. Maybe he'll play in a winter league to get more reps. He will be a major leaguer.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Will James View Post
    As a hitter it's really not something you can control. You try to be successful in every plate appearance and your production follows. Consistency comes in preparation, drills, etc. Not in results. How many of those hitless games were the result of a hard hit line out to an IF or a great diving catch by an OF. Averages fluctuate ALL THE TIME for EVERY hitter. Nobody sits at .300 all year long. I showed that Adam Frazier went through a worse slump than Renfroe just this past season dealing with short term "slumps" and long term slumps. It's natural. That's baseball.
    Huh? Consistency of your results comes from all the shit you work on...drills, prep, scouting, etc. The results are what matter when you are getting paid. And you have to be consistent in those results.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash

You are angry.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    And you have to be consistent in those results.
    From year to year..... Not week to week

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    Renfroe was cut from Hillcrest in the 9th grade. Let that sink in. (Note: This was well after the end of the Paul Wyczawski era -- his player development program and ideals were practically completely gone from that program by this point. Don't want that legacy being associated with what came after him.)

Kid didn't play competitive baseball growing up prior to that beyond youth leagues and allstar teams. Not on a select/well-coached level. He didn't get much coaching and didn't get challenged at Copiah Academy. In reality, he's been playing "competitive well-coached baseball" for 3 years now. He came further in 3 years at MSU than any player I ever remember -- and still has a ton of room to improve and grow.

I don't see any purpose in trying to define his ceiling right now. He's still learning to play the game. Is he a big league hitter right now? No. But can he be? Why speak on it one way or another until we see where he is at this point next year? LITERALLY this time last year, he was made look foolish by your average college curve ball. My how that changed in a short period of time...

And Renfroe did slump at the end of the season(I can't even begin to think about the mental pressure that was on him) -- but that's not an indictment of "him not being able to hit good pitching". He hit elite staffs early in the season just fine against Arky, LSU, Kentucky, etc...
    Anthony Cupps who was a very good pitcher at Ole Miss and was drafted out of both high school and college was cut from Madison Central's team.

I think the issue there a lot of times is it comes down to politics and which travel team your kid plays on. I've heard that Madison Central pretty much takes players from the same two travel teams and if your kid isn't on one of those teams, you don't stand much of a chance. I do understand from the coaches standpoint maybe trusting certain youth coaches more than others and there is some comfort in that, but the coaches still need to evaluate the talent that is trying out.

I'm not privy enough to know what or why Hunter was cut- but I do know that Hillcrest is still a pretty highly thought of baseball program in the metro area even though they have gone down since Coach Wy was there. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if he just didn't play on the right select team.

Who knows how many Hunter Renfroe's and Anthony Cupp's are out there that have been cut for the exact same reason?

So, I guess the lesson here is if you think your kid might want to play high school baseball, find out which select teams to try to get in with and if that doesn't work, consider going to a smaller school like Renfroe and Cupps.

It shouldn't be that way though.