Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renfroe is being promoted

vCash

Renfroe is being promoted

From the Mississippi State Baseball Facebook ...

Hunter Renfroe is prepared to be promoted on Sat. to the Ft. Wayne TinCaps of the Midwest League, the same league Chad Girodo and Kendall Graveman play in (Lansing Lugnuts).
    I'm guessing this is a good thing. I don't know what "league" this is, though. Hoping one of you guys that understand the system can explain to us what this means.

vCash
    Absolutely a good thing. He hit .300 in that league he was in- anything lower would have been disappointing. He is still going to a level that is probably not on par with SEC weekend pitching- but it is a step up.

He was real erratic at his first stop- going on tears and then droughts...he has to work hard to find some consistency at the plate
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Absolutely a good thing. He hit .300 in that league he was in- anything lower would have been disappointing. He is still going to a level that is probably not on par with SEC weekend pitching- but it is a step up.

He was real erratic at his first stop- going on tears and then droughts...he has to work hard to find some consistency at the plate
    The heck? Geez, he wasn't 'real erratic'. He plays baseball, there are always ups and downs. Here are his game-by-game H/AB totals:

2/4
    2/3
    3/5
    0/4
    1/4
    2/4
    0/4
    0/4
    1/5
    2/5
    0/4
    1/4
    3/4
    2/5
    1/3
    2/4
    3/5
    1/4
    0/4
    0/3
    0/4
    0/5
    3/5
    2/4

If you think that's 'real erratic', then you don't know baseball much. Yes, he had a bad 4-game stretch near the end of his time there. It happens. Otherwise, he was darn good, and he immediately got himself out of that stretch. Give me any player anywhere who goes a full month without playing a few games in a row where he doesn't kill it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The heck? Geez, he wasn't 'real erratic'. He plays baseball, there are always ups and downs. Here are his game-by-game H/AB totals:

2/4
    2/3
    3/5
    0/4
    1/4
    2/4
    0/4
    0/4
    1/5
    2/5
    0/4
    1/4
    3/4
    2/5
    1/3
    2/4
    3/5
    1/4
    0/4
    0/3
    0/4
    0/5
    3/5
    2/4

If you think that's 'real erratic', then you don't know baseball much. Yes, he had a bad 4-game stretch near the end of his time there. It happens. Otherwise, he was darn good, and he immediately got himself out of that stretch. Give me any player anywhere who goes a full month without playing a few games in a row where he doesn't kill it.

he struck out 25 times in 104 AB's- that is very erratic considering he played in 24 games....He had 11 multi-hit games out of 24- but still only hit .310... .310 is very good, no doubt- but that many multi-hit games in that short of a span usually brings a higher average with it.

He had a 3/20 drought in games 4-8....and had a 1/20 drought in games 18-22....

As I said- he needs to cut down on the droughts and be more consistent as he moves up

He is going to have to cut down on the strikeouts

vCash
    The strikeouts don't really matter that much. Less than 25% is not atrocious, and the # of K's certainly doesn't make one 'erratic'.

To me, the fact that he had multi-hit games almost half the time and hit .310 simply means that he was new to pro baseball and saw some pitchers he struggled with and others he saw really well. That doesn't make you 'real erratic,' it makes you a guy just starting out in pro baseball.

Sure, you can pick out a few games here and there...as you can do with any hitter. Again, taking a 3-4 game sample here and there tells me nothing. It certainly doesn't qualify as a 'drought'.

Let's take Chris Johnson, who is leading the NL in hitting. I'll look at one month in particular, June. He hit .300 that month with an ops of .824. Well, if you take games 3-5 that month, he had a 1/10 'drought'. If you take games 3-9, he had a 3-24 'drought'. He had 8 games that month without a hit, what a real erratic POS.

vCash
    He is going to the Midwest League, which is A ball. The "next" step up is high A ball- which for San Diego is the California League, and then after that AA, AAA, etc.

vCash
    The strikeouts don't really matter that much. Less than 25% is not atrocious, and the # of K's certainly doesn't make one 'erratic'.

To me, the fact that he had multi-hit games almost half the time and hit .310 simply means that he was new to pro baseball and saw some pitchers he struggled with and others he saw really well. That doesn't make you 'real erratic,' it makes you a guy just starting out in pro baseball.

Sure, you can pick out a few games here and there...as you can do with any hitter. Again, taking a 3-4 game sample here and there tells me nothing. It certainly doesn't qualify as a 'drought'.

Let's take Chris Johnson, who is leading the NL in hitting. I'll look at one month in particular, June. He hit .300 that month with an ops of .824. Well, if you take games 3-5 that month, he had a 1/10 'drought'. If you take games 3-9, he had a 3-24 'drought'. He had 8 games that month without a hit, what a real erratic POS.
    Baseball is all about being as consistent as possible. That's the bottom line. I hope Hunter gets more of it.

It's funny how people get so upset though on certain people, but not others. If this thread was about Derrick Armstrong or Matthew Britton, you wouldn't find anybody wanting to defend them so vehemently

vCash
    It's funny how people get so upset though on certain people, but not others. If this thread was about Derrick Armstrong or Matthew Britton, you wouldn't find anybody wanting to defend them so vehemently
    Do you think we're all this dumb?

Yeah, if you said 'Matthew Britton and Derrick Armstrong weren't very good last year' or 'Matthew Britton and Derrick Armstrong have to change the way they approach the game to have success', the reason no one would defend them is because you would be accurate.

Hunter Renfroe put up a line of .345/.431/.620 last year, was drafted 13th overall in the MLB draft, hit over .300 with an OPS of .850 in his pro baseball debut, and has already been promoted by the team who drafted him.
    Matthew Britton up up a line of .250/.286/.300 last year.
    Derrick Armstrong put up a line of .266/.356/.281 last year.

So you would be right if you said similar things about Britton and Armstrong. The fact that you're trying to equate them with Hunter Renfroe either means you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, or you're just really, really bad at trying to make a point.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    It's pretty common knowledge that Hunter, while supremely gifted, is still raw by pro baseball standards and has to work on some things to become the player we hope he becomes. He has to become much more consistent as he gets higher up because that's the thing that will keep him from making it big time and I would imagine he and the Padres would say the same thing. There are a ton of guys with talent that don't make it because they can't put it together over the course of a full season. He had a good low A against competition that was probably not quite as good as what he played this year. Let's hope he can learn how to be consistent night in and night out at these lower levels - that's where the big jumps come in for high draft picks. It's nothing different than any young player has to learn. Get your ass out of a bunch smoot, you act like somebody was calling Hunter a pedophile or something.

vCash
    Do you think we're all this dumb?

So you would be right if you said similar things about Britton and Armstrong. The fact that you're trying to equate them with Hunter Renfroe either means you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, or you're just really, really bad at trying to make a point.
    I'm not calling anybody dumb- but as I Seen It said- you need to get your panties out of a wad about Renfroe....he's talented, but raw and needs alot of work at the plate. I hope he becomes a MLB All-Star, I just dont think he will. It doesnt make me hate him, it just means I have an opinion. He batted .260 the last 2 months of the season in college and less than .200 in the CWS. I think as he climbs he will get exposed at the plate and the K's will continue to mount. We'll see.

It's just funny to me how people get so revved up about certain players. Years ago I said we wouldnt miss Dixon and would be fine on offense without him and fans lost their mind over that. I also said Dixon would never do anything in the NFL- so far nobody has called me out on that one. Didnt mean I hated Dixon- just was what I saw when I watched him play.

Banned
    vCash
    Renfroe hasn't played enough to have streaks or slumps. Just because its a small sample doesn't mean you imply slumps into that sample size.

As I've said. Take NOTHING away until July next year. And really it's what he does in a full year of AA that will tell what he's made of

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Will James View Post
    . And really it's what he does in a full year of AA that will tell what he's made of
    I agree with that for the most part. His time in AA will indeed tell alot

vCash
    One thing about Hunter that I don't think I have ever seen or heard of from another player:

Goes to the Cal Ripken League and has his number retired and is hailed as a hero.

Has a great season at MSU despite a late season slump and is a very well liked player.

Now his rookie ball team is putting out tweets about the end of the Hunter Renfroe era.

There's a very good pattern there. I think he makes it to MLB in about 2-3 years and becomes a starting outfielder with the potential to be an All-Star.

vCash
    his potential is there and by all accounts is a great guy- no denying that

vCash

2/4
    2/3
    3/5
    0/4
    1/4
    2/4
    0/4
    0/4
    1/5
    2/5
    0/4
    1/4
    3/4
    2/5
    1/3
    2/4
    3/5
    1/4
    0/4
    0/3
    0/4
    0/5
    3/5
    2/4

I think what C34 was meaning to say was he would get hot and then cold and then hot and then cold. Don't be so argumentative especially when your own stats show that C34 was, for the most part, right. Renfroe is going to be fine, he is still young.

vCash
    TinCaps are in playoffs so he gets more reps. Progression.

vCash
    Baseball is all about being as consistent as possible. That's the bottom line. I hope Hunter gets more of it.

i have never heard that said about baseball. and that hit distribution is entirely normal, there's nothing streaky in there at all.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    i have never heard that said about baseball. and that hit distribution is entirely normal, there's nothing streaky in there at all.
    I agree 100%

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Will James View Post
    I agree 100%
    Who the **** has never heard about being consistent in baseball? Seriously?

Do ya not think that's pretty ****ing important in a muscle memory sport?

Banned
    vCash
    Who the **** has never heard about being consistent in baseball? Seriously?

Do ya not think that's pretty ****ing important in a muscle memory sport?
    As a hitter it's really not something you can control. You try to be successful in every plate appearance and your production follows. Consistency comes in preparation, drills, etc. Not in results. How many of those hitless games were the result of a hard hit line out to an IF or a great diving catch by an OF. Averages fluctuate ALL THE TIME for EVERY hitter. Nobody sits at .300 all year long. I showed that Adam Frazier went through a worse slump than Renfroe just this past season dealing with short term "slumps" and long term slumps. It's natural. That's baseball.