Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)

vCash

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)

Just got finished seeing it. I thoroughly enjoyed the film. Not sure where it ranks among the original trilogy. Better than Return of the Jedi for sure but maybe not quite on par with The Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope (will have to see it again).

Pros
    Less usage of CGI
    Less choreographed light saber battles
    More costume and make up (again less CGI)

Cons
    Might have pushed a little too hard for the nostalgia at certain times
    Luke doesn't show up until the end. I get that it is part of the overall story but I wanted Luke to play a larger role (he might never play a large role again though)

Interesting setup with the Dark vs Light this time around. Lots of political nuances and religious undertones.

Bottom line: good movie. The best since the original trilogy. Interested to see where it goes.
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    I will add that I think it may be the best one of the 7. It is either 1 or 2 behind ESB. Considering the number of characters they introduced, the new story line, the expectations, and the tie in to the older movies.... it's hard not to be really impressed with how they handled almost every aspect of the film.

They have expanded the role of the storm trooper, bringing one into the main character arc with his own psychological issues. The entire scene when Rey (Ray?) touches the light saber for the first time was really well done. Han and his family story was interesting in the path to the dark side. Luke hiding out the whole movie, just sets up the story line for the next two movies. Why was he gone for so long? Was he looking for the "light" counterpart to the supreme leader? Why didn't Luke show Leia how to use the force after all these years? She obviously knows how to use it to some extent.

All in all, I give the movie a 10. Well done. Can they go back and remake 1-3 and pretend like the other ones were never made?

vCash
    Best writing yet in a Star Wars movie. Best character development. Best humor.

But the plot. Damn. Why did they have to make it a do-over of the first movie?

Droid carrying important info that the bad guys want.

Bad guys have a massive planet-destroying weapon.

Good guys have to go blow it up, but not before an important character gets killed in a showdown with the super bad guy.

And good guys have to disable the shields first. Can't forget that.

Insert scene with heights and a narrow walkway.

Really, I'm not sure if the plot was serious or a parody.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    Best writing yet in a Star Wars movie. Best character development. Best humor.

But the plot. Damn. Why did they have to make it a do-over of the first movie?

Droid carrying important info that the bad guys want.

Bad guys have a massive planet-destroying weapon.

Good guys have to go blow it up, but not before an important character gets killed in a showdown with the super bad guy.

And good guys have to disable the shields first. Can't forget that.

Insert scene with heights and a narrow walkway.

Really, I'm not sure if the plot was serious or a parody.
    I think it's the sub plots that set it apart. Remember, A New Hope and Return of the Jedi are basically the same arc as well. Disable shields, take out death star.

I will say that they followed the original recipe to a T. I think that was done on purpose to get people to realize what Star Wars wad intended to be originally. It will diversify and make itself stand out as an original story line as the movies go I think (2 more to do so).

I want to know more about Rey's background. There is obviously more to it. Something tells me she's related to one of the new storm troopers. I'm not sure though.

Again, good movie. Need to see it again. First impression is they were trying to set the foundation.
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    In the movie, they reference that Rey has her father's and grandfather's light saber. It calls out for her. So... I would venture to say that she is Luke's daughter. She has the natural technical knowledge like Anakin, as she displays her knowledge of complex mechanical systems throughout the movie.

They were definitely trying to set the foundation for the end game. I will probably go back tonight to see it again for good measure.

vCash
    I am thinking that Kylo killed Luke's wife along with the other young jedi similar to Darth Vader's path to the dark side. Luke drops off his daughter somewhere similar to where he grew up so Kylo can't find her. He would want to turn her to the dark side or kill her. If he left her with Leia she wouldn't have been hidden. Kylo can read almost anyone mind so he would find her. The only reason Rey resists is she actually seems stronger in the force.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by archdog View Post
    In the movie, they reference that Rey has her father's and grandfather's light saber. It calls out for her. So... I would venture to say that she is Luke's daughter. She has the natural technical knowledge like Anakin, as she displays her knowledge of complex mechanical systems throughout the movie.

They were definitely trying to set the foundation for the end game. I will probably go back tonight to see it again for good measure.
    Very true. That was alluded to. They also showed what appeared to be a flashback scene of her family being taken from her, and I couldn't help but think that was the first order taking one or more of her siblings away as "recruits."

Or what Tbonewannabe says. That would be classic Star Wars and seems very plausible.

Let us know what you think after the 2nd watch.
    LFC YNWA

vCash

My son and I said the same thing after last night. It makes sense with the whole light/dark running through the same family the way it has. A generational struggle with which path to take.

vCash
    I believe that flashback could be Luke leaving her there, and her fighting to go with him. Either way, the trailer with Luke saying that the force is strong with his family. His father had it, he has it, his sister has it, and his kids have it. Plus that would make Kylo and Rey 1st cousins about the same age.
    As a bonus, I believe the storm trooper Fin also has the force with him. No other way he could hang with a jedi in a light saber fight if he didn't. Reflexes would be too slow.

I am wondering, Han said something about Luke going to find the first Jedi temple. Maybe there is a being like the Dark Supreme Leader, but for good. I am going to make a leap here, but what if the Supreme Leader guy killed the "Light Supreme being" and that disruption in the force is what caused Anakin to be born. Luke, Leia, Rey, and Kylo being as powerful as a team as the supreme leader guy? No idea, just wondering about he timing of the birth of Anakin versus all of this.

vCash
    I believe that flashback could be Luke leaving her there, and her fighting to go with him. Either way, the trailer with Luke saying that the force is strong with his family. His father had it, he has it, his sister has it, and his kids have it. Plus that would make Kylo and Rey 1st cousins about the same age.
    As a bonus, I believe the storm trooper Fin also has the force with him. No other way he could hang with a jedi in a light saber fight if he didn't. Reflexes would be too slow.

I am wondering, Han said something about Luke going to find the first Jedi temple. Maybe there is a being like the Dark Supreme Leader, but for good. I am going to make a leap here, but what if the Supreme Leader guy killed the "Light Supreme being" and that disruption in the force is what caused Anakin to be born. Luke, Leia, Rey, and Kylo being as powerful as a team as the supreme leader guy? No idea, just wondering about he timing of the birth of Anakin versus all of this.

So much for Anakin restoring balance to the force, huh? lol
    LFC YNWA

Banned
    vCash
    How does the dark side have the economic power to build two Death Stars and now this death planet?

And opposing them is a crew with 30 or so X wing fighters? I mean if they can build a death planet surely they can have 10,000 fighters to take on the 30 X wings.

The whole Star Wars saga doesn't rise to the "awesomeness" that many make it out to be for me for reasons like that. This movie in particular had too much forced nostalgia as was mentioned before. I don't know. It's entertaining but maybe I was expecting a lot more and it felt too "meh". Maybe the similarities to IV added to that.

vCash
    This isn't Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. It's not an intricately thought plot that keeps your mind at its peak the entire movie. You're not suppose to think about the realism. It's set in space for Christ's sake. It's a story about a group of unlikely kids taking about some super bad asses and one of the bad asses may redeem himself. Give me a break.

vCash

I loved it

Quote Originally Posted by mstatefan91 View Post
    Just got finished seeing it. I thoroughly enjoyed the film. Not sure where it ranks among the original trilogy. Better than Return of the Jedi for sure but maybe not quite on par with The Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope (will have to see it again).

Pros
    Less usage of CGI
    Less choreographed light saber battles
    More costume and make up (again less CGI)

Cons
    Might have pushed a little too hard for the nostalgia at certain times
    Luke doesn't show up until the end. I get that it is part of the overall story but I wanted Luke to play a larger role (he might never play a large role again though)

Interesting setup with the Dark vs Light this time around. Lots of political nuances and religious undertones.

Bottom line: good movie. The best since the original trilogy. Interested to see where it goes.
    I think, after the prequels, they had to reset the series and get it back to normal. That is what this movie did. It reset the series back to what Star Wars is. The same writer that did Empire Strikes Back actually wrote this movie so it is a great script...probably the best since Empire. My tastes is Star Wars movies runs a little different than most as Return of the Jedi is my favorite but, in my defense, it was the first movie I saw at the age of 5 in the theater...so it has an impact. That being said I would rank this one right there with Return of the Jedi and Empire Strikes Back. I'll go back and watch again...at least once or twice.

vCash
    I loved it. Light saber duels weren't over the top and super choreographed. Great plot, even if a little to familiar. It had a lot more happen in the movie than I guessed would. It sure made me feel 10 again.

vCash
    I thought it was as good as a it could be, honestly. I absolutely loved it. Yes, some plot aspects were recycled (e.g., deathstar/star-killer), but this movie delivered soooo much emotion, more than any other Star Wars film since Ep. IV and V.

vCash
    Loved it. I'll be honest, I think the prequels catch too much flak sometimes. Yes, they had their really shitty moments. But they had their good points, too, and no one wants to acknowledge them. That said, TFA absolutely nailed it. This is the movie fans have been wanting. JJ & crew delivered.

I think Rey is either a Solo or a Skywalker. There are hints in both directions. I loved the various nods to the past and the EU. The revelation of Kylo actually being Ben Solo was the highlight of the film to me.

Don't know why so many of you disliked the choreographed saber battles from the prequels. For me, they were far and away the best feature of those films, especially the final fight between Anakin/Vader & Obi-wan. It was the height of the Jedi at their peak, trained in the art of combat. It makes total sense that they could do way more than someone untrained like Luke in the original trilogy or Rey in this movie. I think we'll get better, more extended fights as the trilogy progresses.

Granted, I seem to be younger than most of you in this thread, but that's my take. Now the long wait until March '17. I'll definitely be seeing TFA in the theater again at least one more time.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Watched it for a second time last night and liked it even more than the first time. I thought it was way too close to a new hope but on second viewing I realized it wasn't as much as I thought

Banned
    vCash
    Does it seem weird or forced that the son of Han Solo and Princess Leia turns out to be this monster? I'm sorry but it just doesn't pass the smell test. Yeah I get that Vader is gandad but still.. Obviously growing up better than any kid in the galaxy.

Too much harking back and nostalgia I'm sorry to say. It was awesome and new until Han and Chewie showed up and the forced humor and forced nostalgia meters turned up to 10. I really think it diminishes the movie. It should have been much more new kid focused and forward looking. The plot is fine with Lost Luke and everything but maybe it would have been a lot better if the First Order wasn't THAT strong by this time. I mean come on, they have a death planet and the resistance has 30 X wings.

A more balanced fight between the Resistance and Order would have been much better. Not this crazy powerful death planet. The Ben Solo turned evil plot actually could have worked if he was seeking his own coup takeover of the New Republic. Maybe he got tired of being the Prince and wanted power for himself.. Think feuding Royal families of old Europe. He gathers together a following and tries to overthrow the government. Maybe he leaves to do this or maybe he's on the inside and turns the Saber on his father and mother at the end! Han gets killed Leia severely wounded - we won't know the fate of the New Republic until Episode 8!

That would have been a much better plot and I just came up with it in 10 minutes unlike Abrams who recycled A New Hope.

vCash
    1- saw it on a 6 story screen. The Imax! Loved it.

2- I know the talk is about Rey, but let's talk fin...., I'm not so sure he isn't the brother of Rey!

3- some after thoughts.... It's needed, but a star wars film without the empire.... Kinda sad. LOL! The death of solo. Again, needed for the story, but dang.... Couldn't we have waited until the next one..? Build that up more?

Over all.... Great movie
    Whistleblower exposes: (FISA), Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, 156 other judges, members of Congress, and Donald J. Trump were targeted by the HAMMER.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mstatefan91 View Post
    So much for Anakin restoring balance to the force, huh? lol
    The Jedi were in control of the force. There was no balance between good and evil. Anakin turning to the dark side made it balanced. The prophecy was true. They just misread it.