Thread: Hogs

vCash

Hogs

Well, I got myself a few hogs as Sapper had noted in the weekend C&D thread. I initially was going for deer but when life hands you hogs, you make sausage.

The boar was 130 pounds, the Sow was 110. I shot them from the same stand, 1 hour apart.

vCash
    Well, we just finished the butcher job on these: 3 rib racks, 1 whole loin, 4 whole hams, 3 shanks, 3 x gallon bags for grind and one gallon bag for canning.

Planning out next year's holiday meals now: roast venison shoulder for Easter, wild turkey for Thanksgiving, and wild boar cured and smoked ham for Christmas.

vCash

vCash
    Y'all sure are doing it right. Simply awesome. Nice pigs too.

vCash
    Nice job but as you know hogs carry more parasites than most critters, glad to see y'all wearing gloves and I hope you washed down that table big time before using again. I have a friend who is a veterinarian and he says you have to wash it down and make sure you clean everything the hog touches really good.

vCash
    Base - we were strict with the gloves. I changed several times due to cuts and holes in my pair, and the bleach and soap comes out for cleaning after it warms up a bit today. This is only the first part of the processing. The next step is all the meat goes in the deep freeze for 30 days before final processing, then the sausage making starts. I am going to pressure can several pints to see how that works, trichinosis should not have a chance against the pressure cooker.
    Last edited by SapperDawg; 01-24-2016 at 10:57 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post
    Base - we were strict with the gloves. I changed several times due to cuts and holes in my pair, and the bleach and soap comes out for cleaning after it warms up a bit today. This is only the first part of the processing. The next step is all the meat goes in the deep freeze for 30 days before final processing, then the sausage making starts. I am going to pressure can several pints to see that that works, trichinosis should not have a chance against the pressure cooker.
    Good deal, I have a friend who manages his "Pine farm", he goes to just about every meeting when it comes to wildlife or timber managing, said a wildlife veterinarian spoke on hogs, told them they were very "nasty" in so many words, told them to always wear gloves and wash down and make sure you cook wild hogs well done. I'm sure you know this but most folks don't realize how bad they are when cleaning or cooking.