Thread: Rifle Question

vCash

Rifle Question

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a hunter. I'm wanting to get started with a pretty tight budget. so any help will be greatly appreciated.

I am in the market for my first hunting rifle. I found a good deal (?) on a Ruger American .308 with a scope (I think it's a bushnell but I didn't get the model number) for $375.

I guess my question is regarding the caliber. is that a good caliber for deer or should I look at a different caliber?

and while I'm at it, does anyone have this rifle? if so, what are your thoughts for this gun?

thanks, fellas.

vCash
    Good rifle in a good caliber. It will do the job nicely.

I don't own one but have heard a lot of positive from a friend that owns one in 30-06.

vCash
    that's good to hear. Thanks for the feedback.

vCash
    .308 is a versatile caliber good for pretty much all North American game you may ever want to hunt. It is also a popular caliber, so you should always be able to find a good, varied selection of ammo at any decent outdoor retailer.

vCash
    awesome. thanks for the info, Sapper.

vCash
    Well, I have several rifles, my favorite is my Browning .270. I can tell u my youngest daughter and wife shoot a 7mm.08. Very good deer rifle. .308 is good. I'm a Browning guy but there are many good models. Btw, 7mm.08 are Salvage, good rifle with good price.

vCash
    not a bad deal ... you can always upgrade optics later if you decide ... good rifle - great caliber. .308 is actually more ballistic efficient than the 30-06 ... talking efficiency here and not overall energy transfer .... most hand loaders will give the nod to .308
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    awesome. again, I appreciate the information fellas. I think I'm going to try and talk the guy down a little bit more. maybe even remove the optics. Then I can get my own.

vCash
    I've never shot one personally, but have heard really good things about the Ruger American (for that price range and even above). I'll probably pick one up on in the future. Agree with all the comments on .308. Good round and should always be able to find some on the shelf.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by huffy View Post
    awesome. again, I appreciate the information fellas. I think I'm going to try and talk the guy down a little bit more. maybe even remove the optics. Then I can get my own.
    Be carefully with buying a used rifle IF it's someone you don't know. I'd have it checked out before buying from someone I don't know, but that's just me.

vCash
    I own one in 25-06 in the predator version, it's just a different stock and threaded barrel. Shoots really well and the trigger is similar to Savage's accutrigger, which is great. I use to be in the firearm industry and out of all the gun+scope combos out there for someone getting started, this is what is recommend for that price range.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Be carefully with buying a used rifle IF it's someone you don't know. I'd have it checked out before buying from someone I don't know, but that's just me.
    just look at the lands in the barrel ... pull the bolt and use a bore light or a flashlight. If there is enough groove to cut lead then it's usually ok (unless you can see pitting or burrs) ... only other area of concern would be the firing pin in the bolt ... and on a Ruger those are usually well built
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
    I own one in 25-06 in the predator version, it's just a different stock and threaded barrel. Shoots really well and the trigger is similar to Savage's accutrigger, which is great. I use to be in the firearm industry and out of all the gun+scope combos out there for someone getting started, this is what is recommend for that price range.
    absolutely love the 25-06 ... you would never tell just by recoil but believe it or not - it qualifies as a magnum cartridge just based on velocity alone

vCash
    it was a used gun at a local gun shop. I think I'm just going to look at getting a new one at Academy Sports in Tupelo. they have the best price I've found so far.

I'm going to check out the 25-06 too.

Excellent information from you guys. I'm glad I posted in this forum.