Thread: Netflix: Making a Murder

vCash

Netflix: Making a Murder

Anyone watched this on Netflix? I got started today and to say it's gripping is not giving it justice. Was curious to your thoughts if you have.

Synopsis- Man is wrongfully convicted of rape and serves an 18 year sentence before being let go on DNA evidence. Sues county for 36 million dollars and is arrested and convicted of murder. Arresting officers in the murder trial are also named in his civil lawsuit. Pretty interesting documentary.

vCash
    I'm 2 episodes in. An ADA friend of mine (who is also a big Innocence Project supporter) recommended it to me. I think it has potential to be as good of a story as the Serial podcast was last winter. Definitely shows a darker side of how the legal system can be manipulated.

vCash
    The Avery guy is a piece of shit don't get me wrong. But to say there is no reasonable doubt is absurd. That's as much as I can say without spoiling some stuff for you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUMatt View Post
    The Avery guy is a piece of shit don't get me wrong. But to say there is no reasonable doubt is absurd. That's as much as I can say without spoiling some stuff for you.
    Oh yeah, it's obvious that he isn't a clean livin' guy. And anyone in the junk car business is usually suspect from my experience. But, having been on the wrong end of an asshole cop with a personal vendetta - I can flat out see how they could have gone after him to eliminate the "problem" of the lawsuit.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

Banned
    vCash
    What makes you say he is a piece of shit? I think the two cops that planted everything, the two detectives, the prosecutor and Brandon's public defender all should get Steve Avery's sentence. Most disgusting abuse of power I can remember happening in this country. The detective that is responsible for Brandon getting life in jail deserves the death sentence. What a horrible human. Guy made up his confession for him and practically forced every word of it out of his mouth. A mentally slow 16 year old that is only concerned with getting home to watch WWE. The court system and police force in that hell hole county are an embarrassment to the legal system. Sergeant Colborn and Lenk can rot in hell.

Anonymous has been tweeting the cops and saying they are going to produce the phone records of the two police officers and that it will be devastating to the prosecution.
    Last edited by Dawg61; 12-31-2015 at 05:38 PM.

vCash
    Well he masterbated on his cousins car and soaked a car in oil and diesel and threw the cat in the fire which qualifies my statement in my opinion. Having said that, no one deserves the screw job he got and I will never talk to the police if I am questioned in connection to any crime. Anything you say can hurt you and nothing you say can help you.

The deal with the SPED kid really gets under my skin. I work in education as an administrator and the police cannot talk to a child without a parent present at the school and those two detectives obviously did.

Another point that kissed me off was Steve Averys attorneys were ordered by the judge that they could not suggest anyone else that could have committed the crime. Well that's bullcrap because how are they suppose to create reasonable doubt. However, despite that, the prosecution said in their closing statement that if the jury was prepared to let Steve Avery go then they were prepared to say that their local police was willing to kill a girl, cut her up, burn her, and spread the evidence over the Avery land. You can't have it both ways, well I guess you can.

vCash
    I finished it up last night. I think it was something of a let down after all the build up. I don't know what to think about Avery. To me, the real story and tragedy is the Dassey kid. I really felt for him.

When I was 17, I was illegally detained, illegally questioned by the police and complainants attorneys, denied my rights, and was targeted by a cop with a personal vendetta. I was smart, and knew what they were doing was wrong, told them, and asked for parents or an attorney (which made them madder). I was lucky - I knew my rights, knew I had not done what they were trying to get me to admit, and knew that I had enough support in my hometown to turn this into a real mess for the city police (which is what happened). I had to spend my last year in HS constantly watching my back because they were waiting for me to screw up. totally changed my life and view of the justice system.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have had the system screw me and have no one looking out for me like in my situation.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 01-05-2016 at 09:16 AM.

vCash
    Watched most of the first episode and tuned out. Avery is a real piece of shit. He may have been screwed. He may have gotten far worse than he deserved. But I'm struggling trying to have sympathy for the scum of society.

vCash
    Well he masterbated on his cousins car and soaked a car in oil and diesel and threw the cat in the fire which qualifies my statement in my opinion. Having said that, no one deserves the screw job he got and I will never talk to the police if I am questioned in connection to any crime. Anything you say can hurt you and nothing you say can help you.

The deal with the SPED kid really gets under my skin. I work in education as an administrator and the police cannot talk to a child without a parent present at the school and those two detectives obviously did.

Another point that kissed me off was Steve Averys attorneys were ordered by the judge that they could not suggest anyone else that could have committed the crime. Well that's bullcrap because how are they suppose to create reasonable doubt. However, despite that, the prosecution said in their closing statement that if the jury was prepared to let Steve Avery go then they were prepared to say that their local police was willing to kill a girl, cut her up, burn her, and spread the evidence over the Avery land. You can't have it both ways, well I guess you can.
    He allegedly masturbated on his cousin's car. That was never proven. It was only ever spread around by the cousin, which upset him enough that he ran her off the road (she was probably making up bullshit).

The cat thing he readily admitted to and plead guilty. Yeah, it was f*cked up.

Idk if he murdered that girl or not, but I do know that the county/sheriff's department was willing to do anything to get him in prison. The Dassey kid just got completely screwed in the process. It is clear to anyone with a brain that Dassey had nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by mstatefan91; 01-10-2016 at 01:33 PM.
    LFC YNWA

Banned
    vCash
    What was the small video of the lady saying she thinks she's going to die soon about?

vCash
    One of my wife's family members was wrongly convicted (later set free due to lack of evidence) and met Steve Avery in jail. He says that Steve Avery was innocent the first time but guilty the second. Also the kid got screwed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgfan016 View Post
    One of my wife's family members was wrongly convicted (later set free due to lack of evidence) and met Steve Avery in jail. He says that Steve Avery was innocent the first time but guilty the second. Also the kid got screwed.
    No doubt the kid got screwed. The police were doing any and everything to get Avery back in prison. If that meant screwing a kid who has an IQ of 72 then so be it. They also planted evidence. They didn't have to to get the conviction, but again, they wanted him behind bars no matter what.
    LFC YNWA