Thread: Roku

vCash

Roku

I finally got my Roku and got it set up. I'm trying to watch the Temple game and it'll play for seconds then go back to the loading screen. Once on the loading it'll barely move, if at all then play for a few seconds and go straight back to the loading screen to start the vicious cycle all over again. Has anyone else experienced this?

vCash
    Late entry here but if you come back...just wanted to post I haven't had any problems with my Roku

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chainedup_Dawg View Post
    I finally got my Roku and got it set up. I'm trying to watch the Temple game and it'll play for seconds then go back to the loading screen. Once on the loading it'll barely move, if at all then play for a few seconds and go straight back to the loading screen to start the vicious cycle all over again. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Another late entry, but the only tiem I've experienced this is when I've had my Roku at the very edge of the effective range of my wifi. Sounds like it's the quality of your internet connection, either your internet is not good to begin with or you are losing strength after it gets to your house.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Another late entry, but the only tiem I've experienced this is when I've had my Roku at the very edge of the effective range of my wifi. Sounds like it's the quality of your internet connection, either your internet is not good to begin with or you are losing strength after it gets to your house.
    Agree w/ Johnson. Sounds like a weak internet supply or bad connection on wifi. If ur signal is down around 1-3 Mpb, you'll experience this. With 5-10 it should fly. Mine occasionaly does that with my Roku and my Chromecast.
    Another thought for you, if you or the wife are using their cell or tablet via wifi while you are using Roku. it will split the signal coming from your wireless network. Turn one or both off and will really help the signal feeding the Roku. This assumes you are using ur Roku wirelessly vs hard wire.

vCash
    Thanks for the replies guys. I hadn't thought about signal strength although we've never had issues with signal strenght before. That includes playing ps4 &xbox 360 online on a tv further away from the router than the Roku.

I do have young kids so pretty much at least one of them.is always on their ipod watching netflix or tablet. I knew that would cut down on the signal though so i try to make sure it's not being jammed before using it. I just found it odd i never have a problem with Netflix on the Roku but watchespn is every time i have tried to watch something.

What do you guys think about one of the wifi range extenders, that is if it's determined the signal is weak where my Roku is?

vCash
    Thanks for the replies guys. I hadn't thought about signal strength although we've never had issues with signal strenght before. That includes playing ps4 &xbox 360 online on a tv further away from the router than the Roku.
    I do have young kids so pretty much at least one of them.is always on their ipod watching netflix or tablet. I knew that would cut down on the signal though so i try to make sure it's not being jammed before using it. I just found it odd i never have a problem with Netflix on the Roku but watchespn is every time i have tried to watch something.

What do you guys think about one of the wifi range extenders, that is if it's determined the signal is weak where my Roku is?
    Your logic w/ xbox makes sense. However as to the extender you mentioned, I have one of those also. But mainly due to wife's computer is upstairs and router is downstairs, about 70 ft away. The signal from router at her computer is very weak and unreliable. The range extender I installed near her computer works very well for her computer, routinely w/ 5 bars.
    My Roku is about 25 ft fm the router in my network and is located on same floor level. I don't think it gets any benefit from installed extender as it is about the same 70 ft away and diff floor.
    One watchout; make sure the range extender you want to use is compatible with your current router. You might want to read up on what users think of the combo you have in mind. Probably best if router and extender are same brand for compatibility.
    Good luck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the59dawg View Post
    Your logic w/ xbox makes sense. However as to the extender you mentioned, I have one of those also. But mainly due to wife's computer is upstairs and router is downstairs, about 70 ft away. The signal from router at her computer is very weak and unreliable. The range extender I installed near her computer works very well for her computer, routinely w/ 5 bars.
    My Roku is about 25 ft fm the router in my network and is located on same floor level. I don't think it gets any benefit from installed extender as it is about the same 70 ft away and diff floor.
    One watchout; make sure the range extender you want to use is compatible with your current router. You might want to read up on what users think of the combo you have in mind. Probably best if router and extender are same brand for compatibility.
    Good luck.

Really appreciate it 59. Looks like i have some more research to do. I could always hide the kids' tablets and ipods when there's a game on! Haha Roku tech support said to delete the channel then add it again. I'm gonna try that as well as looking into the extender.

vCash
    Really appreciate it 59. Looks like i have some more research to do. I could always hide the kids' tablets and ipods when there's a game on! Haha Roku tech support said to delete the channel then add it again. I'm gonna try that as well as looking into the extender.
    Don't give up on Roku support. I have found they are usually pretty good. They have helped me a bunch over the years. Don't know which channel you are referring to that tech support suggested you delete. You/they mean the watchespn app? Another way I used to get there to espn before watchespn came along is thru playon which is an app on Roku. It always seemed to have a reliable picture. Playon also had all the replays thru the espn app within it. Its a play feature like Netflix tho to use.
    Also I have found that watchespn is not always 100% clear when I use chromecast to watch games using cell phone or tablet. Both fade in and out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the59dawg View Post
    Don't give up on Roku support. I have found they are usually pretty good. They have helped me a bunch over the years. Don't know which channel you are referring to that tech support suggested you delete. You/they mean the watchespn app? Another way I used to get there to espn before watchespn came along is thru playon which is an app on Roku. It always seemed to have a reliable picture. Playon also had all the replays thru the espn app within it. Its a play feature like Netflix tho to use.
    Also I have found that watchespn is not always 100% clear when I use chromecast to watch games using cell phone or tablet. Both fade in and out.

Yeah, they said i should delete the watchespn app then add it again. I haven't tried it yet. I had neverheard of playon, I'll look into that too. Are the prices comparable to Netflix?

vCash
    Yeah, they said i should delete the watchespn app then add it again. I haven't tried it yet. I had neverheard of playon, I'll look into that too. Are the prices comparable to Netflix?
    Playon is one of the apps on Roku. Its about #10 or 15 on the app list. I seem to recall it was about $8 with a month or two trial period. I may have to try the watchespn app if I can find it.

vCash
    Well, the thing just crapped out on me. It would just sit on the home page of Netflix where nothing but the word Netflix is on the screen and just sit there. I unplugged it and haven't tried it again, gonna get up with support and see what they say

vCash
    Speaking of roku, what's the best free channels? I've got it, but I very rarely use it unless I'm watching watchespn