I'm looking to buy a pistol for conceal/carry purposes, and to have a little fun at the range...but primarily for personal protection.

I am looking for something fairly inexpensive but the most bang for my buck. I really seem to like the reviews and analysis of the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm....but I have no idea if that's the caliber and style I would need. My father-in-law has a 9mm & likes the size & caliber, but I'm more of a deer hunter and have never owned a pistol.

So...

Do you guys know anything about the quality of the gun I mentioned above? It has amazing reviews & sells at Academy for $385.00. Or do you recommend something else?

Do you know of a better place to purchase price-wise? Academy seemed to be cheaper than even most online stores, at least for that gun anyway.

Would I be ok looking at used pistols, so I could get a little better quality for a lower price? Or would you only buy new?

Any advice and info is appreciated. I'd really like to stay in the $400.00 or less range. Again, this is for mostly close up personal protection for me and my family.

Thanks!