Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Football Recruiting.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    2016:

We currently have 15 commitments. This leaves us room for Simmons, Brown, Lashley, Jones, plus one more. We may be able to get more than 20 in this class if some of our underclassmen declare for the draft. I still think we get a Fred Ross type commitment this year. I know the coaches are talking with Justin McKinnis (he's extremely under rated..... probably because he's a canuck). I'm wondering if we only found out about him because we're looking at his teammate Mark Thompson. Either way, I'm not sure if he'll get a commitable offer if Brown joins the party. There's a lot of upside to this class, but it's looking more and more like the 2014 class.

I'm sure there are a ton of others to list for 2017, since it's probably going to be a big class. Ifyouonlyknew probably has more knowledge on the other prospects.

I think we are going to sign closer to 22 with a few sign and place guys.

My hope:

Simmons
    Brown
    Lashely
    Jones
    Gooden
    Crowell
    Knott

THat would be a great finish

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post

My hope:

Simmons
    Brown
    Lashely
    Jones
    Gooden
    Crowell
    Knott

All but the last 2 are pretty realistic aren't they?

vCash
    I don't feel good about Simmons. Only because most of our guys aren't confident and OM people are. Usually there is a reason for that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I think Crowell is ours, if we want him.

He doesnt have a spot with the bears. The longer Knott takes, the better our chances are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If OM gets Crowell, it would be a Hampton 2.0 situation. Knott is going to Bama where he will red shirt. Because he's not jumping in front of Humphrey or Fitzpatrick. Good luck to him.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post

My hope:

Simmons
    Brown
    Lashely
    Jones
    Gooden
    Crowell
    Knott

Nobody is willing to take Crowell right now & the longer it goes with Knott the better our odds are. Bama hasn't even did an in home with him yet. It could get real interesting in January.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big4Dawg View Post
    I don't feel good about Simmons. Only because most of our guys aren't confident and OM people are. Usually there is a reason for that
    OM people are confident about every prospect they offer. Last year, they had CeCe Jefferson in the bag.

vCash
    AJ Brown
    Justin Mcinnis
    Scott Lashley
    Gentle Williams
    Emmitt Gooden
    Kobe Jones
    Jeffery Simmons
    Jamal Couch
    Reggie Todd
    Kaderrion Mason
    Vincent Calhoun
    Lorenzo Dantzler
    Jeremiah Moon
    Nigel Knott
    John Broussard
    Raekwon Davis

All of these guys are in play right now. Some others will be included but this is the main list right now. I'm sure I've missed somebody.
    Last edited by Ifyouonlyknew; 12-06-2015 at 03:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    AJ Brown
    Justin Mcinnis
    Scott Lashley
    Gentle Williams
    Emmitt Gooden
    Kobe Jones
    Jeffery Simmons
    Jamal Couch
    Reggie Todd
    Kaderrion Mason
    Vincent Calhoun
    Lorenzo Dantzler
    Jeremiah Moon
    Nigel Knott
    John Broussard

All of these guys are in play right now. Some others will be included but this is the main list right now. I'm sure I've missed somebody.
    So which ones you predict we get on that list?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big4Dawg View Post
    Your going to hear tons of stuff, but that doesn't mean anything. PJ has continued to say Simmons will most likely sign with MSU.

It's going to be a wild ride, but I have growing confidence that we'll survive & finish with a class ranked 18-22.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    AJ Brown
    Justin Mcinnis
    Scott Lashley
    Gentle Williams
    Emmitt Gooden
    Kobe Jones
    Jeffery Simmons
    Jamal Couch
    Reggie Todd
    Kaderrion Mason
    Vincent Calhoun
    Lorenzo Dantzler
    Jeremiah Moon
    Nigel Knott
    John Broussard

That's 9 4 stars. If land a good amount of these, we'll have a class that continues to improve our talent level from the team we had this year.

Notice you didn't put Rekwon Davis on there. Is that just because he's going to JUCO or is that because you don't think we'll sign him .

vCash
    Interesting on the Broussard name. Haven't seen his name since this summer. Also curious about Lorenzo Dantzler, was he just a late bloomer?

What happened with Damion Dicksns and KaDerrion Mason?

Would love to get Gentle Williams. He was the best OL at BDC and it wasn't close.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Is that just because he's going to JUCO or is that because you don't think we'll sign him .
    Yes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    That's 9 4 stars. If land a good amount of these, we'll have a class that continues to improve our talent level from the team we had this year.

Notice you didn't put Rekwon Davis on there. Is that just because he's going to JUCO or is that because you don't think we'll sign him .
    Just an oversight on Raekwon. I'll add him.

Senior Member Perpetual Underachiever's Avatar
    vCash
    Let me preface by saying that I am not a "star" whore when it comes to recruiting. Dan and co. have done a great job of evaluating, signing, and developing underrated talent...but unfortunately that doesn't translate to trip to Atlanta. Yes, the star and entire team ranking system is flawed, but we got whipped by almost every 4 & 5 star we faced this year. This stat says it all:

We HAVE to revamp our recruiting strategy/system so that we are consistently, or at least every other year, finishing in the top third of the SEC in recruiting. Signing day may not be until February, but being currently ranked 38th overall, and 11th in the SEC, is very disturbing. I don't know who to blame? Dan, the entire football staff, F'n Bracky, our soft "network"? Regardless who is most at fault, we either find a way to start landing 4 & 5 stars or return to being irrelevant in the SEC.

For those who are not concerned, and confident we will finish strong by landing some of our top prospects... I pray to "8lb 6oz newborn infant Jesus" that you are right. But why such the slow start this recruiting year? Teams that get an early start and land a couple of big ones early almost always seem to finish stronger. These teams are the ones flipping players, not the teams with their top prospects still uncommitted in January. Not having some solid early commits to help us recruit this year hurt, but it's not their job. Not sure how we got so far behind this year, but I see us finishing in the upper 20's...which isn't the end of the world to some, but I would consider it extremely disappointing.

Last request: SIGN SOME F'N TALENTED OL's AND LOTS OF THEM EVERY YEAR. End of my recruiting rant. Nothing would make me happier than to have this post shoved in my face in mid February after we sign a great class. Go Dawgs!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BankerDog View Post
    Interesting on the Broussard name. Haven't seen his name since this summer. Also curious about Lorenzo Dantzler, was he just a late bloomer?

What happened with Damion Dicksns and KaDerrion Mason?

Would love to get Gentle Williams. He was the best OL at BDC and it wasn't close.
    Broussard was close to Boom & committed to Auburn due to their defensive coaches. It was apparently close between MSU & Auburn, so with Boom leaving for USC, we are now back in it.

If we can land Broussard, Moon, & maybe one other surprise to go along with the Golden Triangle 4, this class has a chance to be really good compared to our standards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perpetual Underachiever View Post
    Let me preface by saying that I am not a "star" whore when it comes to recruiting. Dan and co. have done a great job of evaluating, signing, and developing underrated talent...but unfortunately that doesn't translate to trip to Atlanta. Yes, the star and entire team ranking system is flawed, but we got whipped by almost every 4 & 5 star we faced this year. This stat says it all:

We HAVE to revamp our recruiting strategy/system so that we are consistently, or at least every other year, finishing in the top third of the SEC in recruiting. Signing day may not be until February, but being currently ranked 38th overall, and 11th in the SEC, is very disturbing. I don't know who to blame? Dan, the entire football staff, F'n Bracky, our soft "network"? Regardless who is most at fault, we either find a way to start landing 4 & 5 stars or return to being irrelevant in the SEC.

For those who are not concerned, and confident we will finish strong by landing some of our top prospects... I pray to "8lb 6oz newborn infant Jesus" that you are right. But why such the slow start this recruiting year? Teams that get an early start and land a couple of big ones early almost always seem to finish stronger. These teams are the ones flipping players, not the teams with their top prospects still uncommitted in January. Not having some solid early commits to help us recruit this year hurt, but it's not their job. Not sure how we got so far behind this year, but I see us finishing in the upper 20's...which isn't the end of the world to some, but I would consider it extremely disappointing.

Last request: SIGN SOME F'N TALENTED OL's AND LOTS OF THEM EVERY YEAR. End of my recruiting rant. Nothing would make me happier than to have this post shoved in my face in mid February after we sign a great class. Go Dawgs!
    The main difference I see is the difference between 4 stars & 5 stars.

4 stars are good players, but they are still flawed. It's why a team like Iowa, which is full of all 3 stars, can beat teams that are full of 4 stars, but 5 star players are different. They are complete difference makers on the field & tilt the advantage in games. To me, this is what makes the top 5 recruiting teams so hard to beat. It's not that they always have more depth than you or that they don't have flaws on their team as well. It's because they have 5 to 8 players or so on their roster that are complete difference makers and cover up their mistakes.

vCash
    For as much doom & gloom that everyone wants to put on this program we have a very legit shot at a Top 20 class.

vCash
    Mullen needs to close strong between now and February. That includes a bowl win to get to 9 wins and sign the golden triangle 4 that are a 7-iron shot from Davis Wade Stadium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perpetual Underachiever View Post

If land the players that we currently lead for, we'll finish between 18-22. If we land the players we currently lead for and add a few surprises, we'll almost assuredly finish in the teens.

I love landing tons 4 stars because they add depth & build the core of your team, but we really need to land a few difference making 5 stars that can change the game. This is the only way to beat Bama. You must have a few 5 star players that are mismatches for then. Not sure how we get them.