Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More Hevesy Love

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I think it's because Dan wants to go fast and he is trying to recruit guys who can do it but the problem is these real good DL are just better and can keep up. They just need to change who they are recruiting.

My seat was above where the O-Line bench was and eveytime we were on Defense The coach was drawing stuff on the board but it didn't look like they were paying any attention to him. Hell one guy always had his helmet halfway off, cup in right hand looking down at the ground. He looked like the fat kid that the coach didn't give him a popcycle and he was upset. Pissed me off every time.
    I saw the same thing. Desper never looked at Hevesy. He could have cared less what he was saying. He either completely despises Hevesy or he is a participation trophy winner. There is a problem with both of those scenarios.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatordog View Post
    I saw the same thing. Desper never looked at Hevesy. He could have cared less what he was saying. He either completely despises Hevesy or he is a participation trophy winner. There is a problem with both of those scenarios.
    You'd think the number of times he got blown up this year he'd try to pay attention and learn something.

Banned
    vCash
    Not defending but we have landed our 4-5* in Robinson, Thomas and Rankin, who just did not, or have not proven that ranking. I agree on both that line recruiting is not exclusively on Hev, but also believe the development of them is all on him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post
    Yes our OL is garbage. I've never heard of a team giving up 10 sacks in one game.... Ever.

If we don't get Lashley then Hevessy should go.
    He should go anyway, regardless of whether or not we get Lashley. Bottom line is that he is a poor OL coach. Ironic that we have had Croom-McCorvey, and now Mullen-Hevesy. Two head coaches that will not get rid of their buddy who is incapable of getting the job done.

vCash
    The position coaches get a "yes" or "no"'decision on their targets regardless of who their area recruiting lead is. also, two coaches are responsible for each recruit. One based on area. The other based on position.

Hev hasn't recruited a single guy that's been drafted yet for his position group. Being in the SEC, that's pretty amazing.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    **** that guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Dog View Post
    Not defending but we have landed our 4-5* in Robinson, Thomas and Rankin, who just did not, or have not proven that ranking. I agree on both that line recruiting is not exclusively on Hev, but also believe the development of them is all on him.
    Rankin yes. No one thought Robinson or Thomas were 4 stars. They had no other offers come signing day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Rankin yes. No one thought Robinson or Thomas were 4 stars. They had no other offers come signing day.
    Whoa, that's not a narrative we are allowed to discuss.

vCash
    Hev could still get the ULM job. He's been open about wanting to be a head coach -- that's one spot he could conceivably land and has been mentioned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Dog View Post
    On 2 of those 3 I'm not surprised at all they were busts. Even a so-so fan of recruiting knew that interest for both Robinson and Thomas fell WAY off toward the end of their recruitments from SEC and other P5 schools. That's a HUGE red flag that the players weren't developing and performing at the levels expected during their HS senior year. Now with Rankin I'm not sure what the deal is there. He was wanted by a number of good schools out of JUCO but wasn't good enough to avoid a RS after going through a full Spring with us. That's not a promising development.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatordog View Post
    That sort of sounds like Stansbury during the last part of his tenure with his basketball teams at MSU. Stans would call a timeout and be telling his team all kinds of stuff while the players acted like they were more interested with what was happening with the fans in the stands than anything Stans had to say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    He should go anyway, regardless of whether or not we get Lashley. Bottom line is that he is a poor OL coach. Ironic that we have had Croom-McCorvey, and now Mullen-Hevesy. Two head coaches that will not get rid of their buddy who is incapable of getting the job done.
    I personally think its more of a talent and recruiting problem than a coaching problem with Hev. NOBODY in the SEC recruits more projects at the OL position than we do. Not even Vandy and Kentucky. Hev is a recruiting problem and apparently only so so on evaluating guys that he thinks he can coach up. I believe, like last year and with the improvement we saw immediately in 2009, if Hev has decent material he gets pretty good results.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    Hev could still get the ULM job. He's been open about wanting to be a head coach -- that's one spot he could conceivably land and has been mentioned.
    Why would they want him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Why would they want him?
    He's viewed more highly in the cfb world than he is by our fanbase. Much like Dan, actually

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    He's viewed more highly in the cfb world than he is by our fanbase. Much like Dan, actually
    Well OK. I'm glad I'm not a ULM fan though.

vCash
    You guys are kinda missing the point here. Yes, our offensive line was bad. I was on here cursing about Warren after the USM game and was getting killed for it, but unfortunately, it was a sign of things to come.

That said, you can scheme around your shortcomings on the line. All those sacks we gave up against Bama and OM had as much to do with the playcalling as it did with the offensive line woes. Mullen did not make adjustments to the playcalling and the offensive scheme to minimize the risk created by the offensive line.

When you take a five step drop and go through three or four progressions behind our offensive line against a defensive front like Bama, you're gonna get sacked, period.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    You guys are kinda missing the point here. Yes, our offensive line was bad. I was on here cursing about Warren after the USM game and was getting killed for it, but unfortunately, it was a sign of things to come.

That said, you can scheme around your shortcomings on the line. All those sacks we gave up against Bama and OM had as much to do with the playcalling as it did with the offensive line woes. Mullen did not make adjustments to the playcalling and the offensive scheme to minimize the risk created by the offensive line.

When you take a five step drop and go through three or four progressions behind our offensive line against a defensive front like Bama, you're gonna get sacked, period.
    This is a good point. And it didn't help that we rarely used a TE or a FB to help the line out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post
    Yes our OL is garbage. I've never heard of a team giving up 10 sacks in one game.... Ever.

Hevessy should go.
    FIFY.

vCash
    I read earlier on 247 that we there is no connection to the 4 star lineman in Hawaii we recently offered.

A quick review of the 247 recruiting data (I'm sure not all inclusive but a good snapshot) showed 45 or so OL offers. These were made in about 11 states. West of Louisiana there were 4 in Texas. 2 in Hawaii.

A thought occurred to me. Why would you skip all of the midwestern and western US and offer 1 or 2 Hawaii players that have zero connection to MSU, Mississippi or a coach on the staff?

Cynically, I can only figure Hevesy wanted a paid trip to Hawaii. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by ScottH; 12-06-2015 at 06:51 PM.

vCash
    You would think Hev and CDM would have built a few relationships with coaches and schools or at least be familiar with some high schools in the mid west with the time they spent at BG and Utah with urban..
    And we could tap that area for a few players or a least have a shot at some...
    But I'm sure they didn't ...
    One is too arrogant and one is just too lazy...
    Last edited by mic; 12-06-2015 at 07:43 PM.