Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st 7 years as HC. Would you take him?

vCash

1st 7 years as HC. Would you take him?

9-2
    6-5
    6-6
    7-5
    6-6
    9-2
    8-4

vCash
    Depends on the schedule and the wins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by randyholloway View Post
    Depends on the schedule and the wins.
    was thinking same thing, depends on the competition. was this in the SEC or cusa.
    Do I not look like a pothouse? Six foot down the bar. Go on, jog on, walk on, goodbye, bon voyage, **** off.

vCash
    Or the school - am I Bama or Vandy?

vCash
    You forgot to mention the gap between year 1 and 2 and the tie in the second year. Since I know who you are talking about and where he was when he got those numbers the answer is yes, I would.

Banned
    vCash
    Its Saban and it's a stupid point. Mullen ain't Saban my friend.

vCash
    Those are Saban's numbers at Toledo for one year, then Michigan State starting the second year through year 5. The last two years are at LSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    Its Saban and it's a stupid point. Mullen ain't Saban my friend.
    You think those numbers at Michigan State are better than what Mullen has done here during the SEC West's historic run?

vCash
    Saban is a great coach. I don't think you can judge by wins and losses alone, you have to look at the whole program, recruiting, their schedule and how competitive they were. Saban was beating Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame during those years, including some of the weaker seasons. If Dan was 7 - 5 every year since he had been here but owned Bama and LSU, he would already be gone.

vCash
    No it's not.

No he isn't, but he's been successful at MSU.

A rarity we should be thankful for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    You think those numbers at Michigan State are better than what Mullen has done here during the SEC West's historic run?
    When you look at who he beat, I think you could make the case pretty easily.

vCash
    I've always liked looking up these numbers for comparison and historic reference. Here is one. Early 80's two schools one a mid level Power 5 for five years and last two a national power.

7-4
    3-7-1
    7-5
    4-5-2
    8-4
    8-5
    10-2

vCash
    Yep.

The next 2 years at LSU saban was 10-3 and 8-5.
    Guess they should've fired him after year 9.

vCash
    When you look at who he beat, I think you could make the case pretty easily.
    He beat a 11-1 Ohio State team early which was a great win. Who else? A 10-2 Michigan team his last year when they both were undefeated? Then lose the next two games back to back as favorites and when he was a #5 and then #11. 2-3 against Michigan rival with bad losses to losing teams offset some of that as well. Losing Northwestern team. Losing CUSA Lousiville team. Lost to a 4 win Wisconsin team, Tie to a 4 win Purdue team.

ETA. When you consider Michigan State historically had at least .100 percentage points higher win totals when he came in compared to our floor and were already a about .500 team prior to his arrival his first 4 years were not that big of a jump.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 12-02-2015 at 10:14 PM.

vCash
    no idea

frank beamer
    2-9
    3-8
    6-4-1
    6-5
    5-6
    2-8-1
    9-3

vCash
    He beat a 11-1 Ohio State team early which was a great win. Who else? A 10-2 Michigan team his last year when they both were undefeated? Then lose the next two games back to back as favorites and when he was a #5 and then #11. 2-3 against Michigan rival with bad losses to losing teams offset some of that as well. Losing Northwestern team. Losing CUSA Lousiville team. Lost to a 4 win Wisconsin team, Tie to a 4 win Purdue team.
    This is the thing about Mullen that's actually very interesting. His record is darn near impeccable against bad teams. He doesn't lose to them. He beats everyone he's supposed to beat. The problem is, he almost never beats anyone he isn't supposed to. I am not complaining, I'm just staying that the OM dynamic is an interesting contrast. They can live with losing to a decent Memphis team because they beat Bama. They beat LSU, so they can more easily tolerate a fluke loss to Arkansas or their meltdown at Florida. How would our fans feel if we had lost to Kentucky and to Mizzou this year, but beaten Bama and Ole Miss? Interesting scenario to consider...

vCash
    Saban is a great coach. I don't think you can judge by wins and losses alone, you have to look at the whole program, recruiting, their schedule and how competitive they were. Saban was beating Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame during those years, including some of the weaker seasons. If Dan was 7 - 5 every year since he had been here but owned Bama and LSU, he would already be gone.
    He beat a 7-6, 9-3, and 5-7 Notre Dame teams. One good team. 2-3 against Michigan and Ohio State. One great OSU win and one that was 6-6 those happened his last two years. His last year he beat both Michigan and Ohio State with his best team. 6-6 OSU and 10-2 Michigan. Prior to that only one win over those teams. He had some better wins. I grant you but some of those losses and the back to back beat downs after he beat Michigan in 1999 when they both were undefeated were bad. (52-28 and 40-10) Prior to 1999 there were several rumblings that he wasn't cutting it there and some really bad defensive showings from a defensive guru. Everything was not smooth at MSU.

vCash
    This is the thing about Mullen that's actually very interesting. His record is darn near impeccable against bad teams. He doesn't lose to them. He beats everyone he's supposed to beat. The problem is, he almost never beats anyone he isn't supposed to. I am not complaining, I'm just staying that the OM dynamic is an interesting contrast. They can live with losing to a decent Memphis team because they beat Bama. They beat LSU, so they can more easily tolerate a fluke loss to Arkansas or their meltdown at Florida. How would our fans feel if we had lost to Kentucky and to Mizzou this year, but beaten Bama and Ole Miss? Interesting scenario to consider...
    I agree. And as consistant as our teams have been against equal or lesser opponents, you would suspect at least a few more upsets. I think last year gets down played because of those teams final records. I think you have to consider what losing to us last year deflated those teams momentum to cause of that afterward. And the fact that we have to play more 10+ win teams the last 7 years than Saban did in 10 of his including his LSU years. 2010-2013 was historic for a conference much less one division. That competition has never been seen in one division before. May never see it again.

vCash
    I've always liked looking up these numbers for comparison and historic reference. Here is one. Early 80's two schools one a mid level Power 5 for five years and last two a national power.

7-4
    3-7-1
    7-5
    4-5-2
    8-4
    8-5
    10-2
    I know most won't care but that record above is for Jimmy Johnson. The first 5 years at Oklahoma State then his first two at Miami. He was a great coach but how many would frown if we hired a coach to this school with that kind of record he had at OK State.

vCash
    I agree. And as consistant as our teams have been against equal or lesser opponents, you would suspect at least a few more upsets. I think last year gets down played because of those teams final records. I think you have to consider what losing to us last year deflated those teams momentum to cause of that afterward. And the fact that we have to play more 10+ win teams the last 7 years than Saban did in 10 of his including his LSU years. 2010-2013 was historic for a conference much less one division. That competition has never been seen in one division before. May never see it again.
    I know people like to dismiss 2013 a crappy year - but we played 7 10 win teams and a 9 win team in 13 games. That is unreal.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18