Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Mullen: No comment

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Or somebody. The dominos will fall over the next week and a half. I'm thinking it won't take very long for the Georgia job to be filled- after that is when things should heat up on the coaching carousel.

Right now most programs are in an interviewing mode.

We just have to be patient and wait it out and as I have said several times, I have a feeling that this will most likely resolve itself for the better. No inside information- just my opinion.
    Smart has already filled the Georgia job.

vCash
    Name one other current coach in the SEC that is as linked to as many jobs as Dan. Saban and Les Miles squashed rumors to Texas and Michigan respectively. Dan smarts off to Bonner about it.
    This is strictly about the media's perception of our program. They can't see how in the heck Dan stays, yet he does. I believe he turned down the Miami job once and maybe others. I liked his answers. They made me laugh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgface View Post
    I'll always pull for the team but I'm done with him. We have paid him well, but he puts us through this crap every year. Screw his arrogant ass.
    I will admit that if Dan returns, I will without a doubt go to fewer football games than I did this year. Yes, MSU will get my money- but they may not get me in my seat.

I spend too much money to watch a coach and a program show no life in big games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    I actually believe Miles squished it only because of when it was reported. He was headed to Michigan but to come out right then before the SEC title game, he had to back out to save the game and a possible national title.
    And he handled it properly. He didn't play coy and let things go on like Dan is doing. And highly doubt your interpretation of why Miles didn't go to Michigan.

vCash
    Smart has already filled the Georgia job.
    That's a good thing for us. That's the first domino that we need to fall one way or the other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holydawg View Post
    This is strictly about the media's perception of our program. They can't see how in the heck Dan stays, yet he does. I believe he turned down the Miami job once and maybe others. I liked his answers. They made me laugh.
    I'm pretty sure you are correct that he turned down Miami once. I don't think it's media perception however. I think it's Dan putting himself out there. It's very easy to squash rumors- and Dan hasn't done so yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    exactly. Bielema and Freezus arent having this problem.
    Why the heck would Bielema's name be thrown out for these jobs?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Why the heck would Bielema's name be thrown out for these jobs?
    He has done a good job at Arkansas- a program that was a mess when Petrino left.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Boy, I sure do miss the Croom days when we never had to hear our coach's name brought up for openings ..............................oh snap. Never mind.
    Look, the situation is what it is, and Mullen evidently gets his jollies from it but this situation is in no way good for the stability of our program nor does it do anything but hurt our recruiting. For example, if you are Derrick Brown are you seriously going to consider MSU with Mullen being seemingly this uncommitted to our program. There are plenty of coaches with jobs that interview other places and actually take jobs (see Bieleman leaving Wisconsin for Arkansas) that don't let the information get out for the media to make a public spectacle of things.

vCash
    And he handled it properly. He didn't play coy and let things go on like Dan is doing. And highly doubt your interpretation of why Miles didn't go to Michigan.
    Whatever, a lot of Michigan people have said that Miles had agreed and hate Herbie even more for leaking it out. And he definitely played coy and back channeled the talks so no one would find out hopefully. Rather he agreed to the job or not. I don't really blame him, it how so so many of these deals go down. Heck you talk about Saban, he most definitely lied to the media and the Dolphins front office before going to Bama. Freaking Petrino, not once but twice that snake in the grass played around with teams. And as far as loyalty to schools he was involved with the boosters trying to get rid of Tubberville behind Tubbs back at Auburn. It just got out and Tubbs was able to get control of the situation. So that is a reverse situation that was bad press and got out.

vCash
    Whatever, a lot of Michigan people have said that Miles had agreed and hate Herbie even more for leaking it out. And he definitely played coy and back channeled the talks so no one would find out hopefully. Rather he agreed to the job or not. I don't really blame him, it how so so many of these deals go down. Heck you talk about Saban, he most definitely lied to the media and the Dolphins front office before going to Bama. Freaking Petrino, not once but twice that snake in the grass played around with teams. And as far as loyalty to schools he was involved with the boosters trying to get rid of Tubberville behind Tubbs back at Auburn. It just got out and Tubbs was able to get control of the situation. So that is a reverse situation that was bad press and got out.
    It doesn't make any sense because if Miles wanted to go to Michigan, he would have done so. No matter what leaked. It really doesn't matter because when it was time he definitively squashed the rumor. Something Dan has yet to do. And it's very simple to do.

Saban turned Alabama down until they simply made him an offer he couldn't refuse- which is why coaching salaries have reached new levels of ridiculous. Saban I believe genuinely wanted to coach in the NFL. If he didn't, he wouldn't have left LSU in the first place. Don't forget that Saban was a NFL assistant for a few years.

Petrino is a sleaze ball.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Well maybe if you'd stop doing the same shit every year, they'd stop asking the same questions. Either commit to being here or get the **** out. This shit has worn thin and is costing us wins by costing us recruits. Shit or get off the pot.
    WMD nails it again. Been on a roll lately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    WMD nails it again. Been on a roll lately.
    I agree. He's knocking it out of the park right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Look, the situation is what it is, and Mullen evidently gets his jollies from it but this situation is in no way good for the stability of our program nor does it do anything but hurt our recruiting. For example, if you are Derrick Brown are you seriously going to consider MSU with Mullen being seemingly this uncommitted to our program. There are plenty of coaches with jobs that interview other places and actually take jobs (see Bieleman leaving Wisconsin for Arkansas) that don't let the information get out for the media to make a public spectacle of things.
    We're not getting Derrick Brown either way.

vCash
    He has done a good job at Arkansas- a program that was a mess when Petrino left.
    He's done a decent job, and they're about to take a step back next year. I just don't know why any legit job would come after him. So maybe that's why his name isn't being thrown around.

vCash
    He's done a decent job, and they're about to take a step back next year. I just don't know why any legit job would come after him. So maybe that's why his name isn't being thrown around.
    We'll see about that. He was good enough for Wisconsin to want him at one point in time obviously.

I just think it's because he (his agent) isn't putting himself out there.

vCash
    It doesn't make any sense because if Miles wanted to go to Michigan, he would have done so. No matter what leaked. It really doesn't matter because when it was time he definitively squashed the rumor. Something Dan has yet to do. And it's very simple to do.

Saban turned Alabama down until they simply made him an offer he couldn't refuse- which is why coaching salaries have reached new levels of ridiculous. Saban I believe genuinely wanted to coach in the NFL. If he didn't, he wouldn't have left LSU in the first place. Don't forget that Saban was a NFL assistant for a few years.

Petrino is a sleaze ball.
    Sure Miles had to squish it, it came out like the day of the SEC title game in 2007. He had no choice but to deny going that day. After the won the title and Missouri and West Virginia (#1 & #2 ranked teams) both loss putting LSU in the title game against OSU. He couldn't very well decide to leave with the national title on the line. If they had loss or not back door into the title game, he was gone. At least from the MI side, they had a deal. And it was done in secret before the SEC game.

You are right on why Saban left, still didn't change the fact that he completely denied even wanting to go to the media and front office. Then he left and it made him a liar. Don't care the reason, but he had multiple conversations behind the scenes and it leaked out, he denied it and then left a few days or week later.

And yes, Peterino is a sleeze ball.

vCash
    We'll see about that. He was good enough for Wisconsin to want him at one point in time obviously.

I just think it's because he (his agent) isn't putting himself out there.
    But that's a baseless assumption. Sure it's possible, but it's equally possible he's just not that attractive a candidate right now. He hasn't had tons of success at Arkansas, and I don't see any way he doesn't take a step back with most of his offense leaving, including the QB that carried them this year.

It just makes no sense to say, "The MSU coach who tok them to #1 last year, developed a Heisman candidate QB, and has won 18 games the last 2 years in the SEC West is being mentioned. So why isn't the guy who has won 17 games the last 3 years at Arkansas, while not finishing in the top 25 in any of those seasons, also being mentioned? Agents."

It's not a comparison.
    Last edited by smootness; 12-01-2015 at 11:12 PM.

vCash
    Sure Miles had to squish it, it came out like the day of the SEC title game in 2007. He had no choice but to deny going that day. After the won the title and Missouri and West Virginia (#1 & #2 ranked teams) both loss putting LSU in the title game against OSU. He couldn't very well decide to leave with the national title on the line. If they had loss or not back door into the title game, he was gone. At least from the MI side, they had a deal. And it was done in secret before the SEC game.

You are right on why Saban left, still didn't change the fact that he completely denied even wanting to go to the media and front office. Then he left and it made him a liar. Don't care the reason, but he had multiple conversations behind the scenes and it leaked out, he denied it and then left a few days or week later.

And yes, Peterino is a sleeze ball.
    We're not going to agree that Miles "had to squish" the rumors. He just simply didn't. He wasn't being held hostage by LSU- shoot they want to fire him every year practically. He could have very well played the "this will be my last year at LSU" card and based on their game against A&M it probably would have resulted in a win as well.

It sounds to me like you only have the Michigan side of things- which in their case this sounds to be more spin than anything.

vCash
    We're not getting Derrick Brown either way.
    Didn't say we were, just an example of any top recruit that we might be trying to make headway with.