Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Mullen: No comment

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    But that's a baseless assumption. Sure it's possible, but it's equally possible he's just not that attractive a candidate right now. He hasn't had tons of success at Arkansas, and I don't see any way he doesn't take a step back with most of his offense leaving, including the QB that carried them this year.

It just makes no sense to say, "The MSU coach who tok them to #1 last year, developed a Heisman candidate QB, and has won 18 games the last 2 years in the SEC West is being mentioned. So why isn't the guy who has won 17 games the last 3 years at Arkansas, while not finishing in the top 25 in any of those seasons, also being mentioned? Agents."

It's not a comparison.
    Why isn't Freeze being mentioned right now then? He loses a ton as well and won more game this year than Dan or Bielema and beat Alabama and LSU?

Meanwhile Dan is being mentioned for just about every job- and he didn't have a great year at all.

vCash
    We're not getting Derrick Brown either way.
    Meanwhile an Under Armor AA from Maryland I think is Tweeting out photos of him and Chris Kiffin tonight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Why isn't Freeze being mentioned right now then? He loses a ton as well and won more game this year than Dan or Bielema and beat Alabama and LSU?

Meanwhile Dan is being mentioned for just about every job- and he didn't have a great year at all.
    Freeze is a much better comparison, though perhaps it's true that the NCAA stuff is currently scaring teams off. My issue was with including Bielema; it made no sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TSUNami View Post
    That seems a lot more like Dan is joking around.
    Yes, he was joking to get a rise out of a reporter he dislikes greatly and a newspaper he likes even less.

CDM is having fun at reporters expense since his idea of journalism is to copy and paste random fans tweeter responses.
    He has answered this question about 100 times saying he is happy at STATE, his wife is happy and his kids were born in Starkville.

His agent is finding out what Fair Market Value is for his client. Chill people, welcome to world of "BIG TIME" CFB.

Go DAWGs and HAILSTATE!!!

vCash
    We're not going to agree that Miles "had to squish" the rumors. He just simply didn't. He wasn't being held hostage by LSU- shoot they want to fire him every year practically. He could have very well played the "this will be my last year at LSU" card and based on their game against A&M it probably would have resulted in a win as well.

It sounds to me like you only have the Michigan side of things- which in their case this sounds to be more spin than anything.
    This was 2007, he was just in his third year there. Believe what you want but he was gone and numerous people had got the info. Herbie just decided to break the story on the day of the SEC title game. He had no choice to squish it or lose the team and possibly lose the game. Which would have been a horrible decision to come out and say that he had accepted the job or even a no comment wouldn't fly. Believe what you want but MI had to scramble and it was 2 weeks or so later when they hired Rich Rod, who many of the boosters didn't want to begin with. Partially because they had Miles wrapped up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MidsouthDawg View Post
    Yes, he was joking to get a rise out of a reporter he dislikes greatly and a newspaper he likes even less.

CDM is having fun at reporters expense since his idea of journalism is to copy and paste random fans tweeter responses.
    He has answered this question about 100 times saying he is happy at STATE, his wife is happy and his kids were born in Starkville.

His agent is finding out what Fair Market Value is for his client. Chill people, welcome to world of "BIG TIME" CFB.

There are other ways to find out what fair market value for his client is without interviewing for other jobs. And you have to win big time games to be considered big time.

I really, really hate that we have fans who think this way. It's embarrassing. If y'all had your way, we'd still be watching Stansbury, Polk, and Croom.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    There are other ways to find out what fair market value for his client is without interviewing for other jobs. And you have to win big time games to be considered big time.

I really, really hate that we have fans who think this way. It's embarrassing. If y'all had your way, we'd still be watching Stansbury, Polk, and Croom.
    So you're saying we have a chance to get those guys back?! **

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post

Exactly. It's like it's ridiculous to them that we should expect to have more wins over big name teams. And I'm not saying we should beat Alabama every single time- but 15% is unacceptable.

And I could maybe understand if no one had ever won big games at a relatively reasonable clip- but Jackie showed it certainly can be done at MSU. And I'll even go as far as to say that even Croom pulled a couple of signature wins out himself. And if Croom can do it, we should expect any competent head coach to do it and at an even higher clip than Croom of course.

It is great that were winning pretty much all of the games we're "supposed to"- which actually makes Dan's lack of big game wins somewhat perplexing to me- but at some point you have to win the big ones. We're setting Dan up to make bowls very easily with four very manageable OOC games- and then you have Kentucky. That's a luxury that no other coach in MSU history has really had. So, while winning 8 games is "good"- we really should have more 9-10 win seasons that way our program currently is given our resources. 8 wins over four OOC teams and only one win over a SEC team with a winning record just isn't really all that impressive. Especially with a Heisman candidate caliber QB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by randyholloway View Post
    So you're saying we have a chance to get those guys back?! **
    Sad thing is we have some fans that would love for some of "their boys" to be back. It's like a coach does something "good" at MSU at some point in time- and then we're indebted to them for the rest of our lives. It's crazy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MidsouthDawg View Post

It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    There is a huge gap between "Our current win rate is just fine" and "Mullen needs to go."

vCash
    Sad thing is we have some fans that would love for some of "their boys" to be back. It's like a coach does something "good" at MSU at some point in time- and then we're indebted to them for the rest of our lives. It's crazy.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Todd4State again."

Banned
    vCash
    There is a huge gap between "Our current win rate is just fine" and "Mullen needs to go."
    You seem to leave out the lack of effort in fixing the problems
    You seem to leave out our coach actively seeking other employment

Those saying are win rate is fine are retarded
    Those saying Mullen needs to go ALWAYS qualify it with "because he refuses to make the necessary changes to succeed AND actively seek other employment which hurts our program all around"

vCash
    10 wins last year and 8 wins this year. Not a "rest of our lives" situation.

It's laughable to compare Mullen today to Croom, Polk 2 or the last few years of Stansbury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    You seem to leave out the lack of effort in fixing the problems
    You seem to leave out our coach actively seeking other employment

Those saying are win rate is fine are retarded
    Those saying Mullen needs to go ALWAYS qualify it with "because he refuses to make the necessary changes to succeed AND actively seek other employment which hurts our program all around"
    nfm

vCash
    Exactly. It's like it's ridiculous to them that we should expect to have more wins over big name teams. And I'm not saying we should beat Alabama every single time- but 15% is unacceptable.

And I could maybe understand if no one had ever won big games at a relatively reasonable clip- but Jackie showed it certainly can be done at MSU. And I'll even go as far as to say that even Croom pulled a couple of signature wins out himself. And if Croom can do it, we should expect any competent head coach to do it and at an even higher clip than Croom of course.

It is great that were winning pretty much all of the games we're "supposed to"- which actually makes Dan's lack of big game wins somewhat perplexing to me- but at some point you have to win the big ones. We're setting Dan up to make bowls very easily with four very manageable OOC games- and then you have Kentucky. That's a luxury that no other coach in MSU history has really had. So, while winning 8 games is "good"- we really should have more 9-10 win seasons that way our program currently is given our resources. 8 wins over four OOC teams and only one win over a SEC team with a winning record just isn't really all that impressive. Especially with a Heisman candidate caliber QB.
    I love Jackie as well but he wasn't facing close to the competition as Mullen has since 2009. We have had multiple 10+ game winners in our division alone that is unreal. 2010 4 teams, 3 in 2011, 2012, & 2013. I think Mullen has faced more in his 7 years than Jackie did his entire time. The strength of our division is not even close to comparison. In all of Jackie's years he upset 3 10 game winning teams (including their bowl wins) and none of those teams were national title teams. All were 3 loss teams. That's great and I wished Mullen had pulled off some bigger upsets. Really should have but Jackie was not beating national title teams either. And that makes the idea that we should have been a consistant 9-10 win team kind of difficult to fathom. It's were we want to be and we have been getting closer and need to continue to build but, and I have said this before, I really thought it would take a decade if we are lucky and things break our way. Considering the road we have had to go through the overall numbers are very good. Got to get over that next hump, which is one of the hardest to climb over and sustain.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingRabbit View Post
    10 wins last year and 8 wins this year. Not a "rest of our lives" situation.

It's laughable to compare Mullen today to Croom, Polk 2 or the last few years of Stansbury.
    Not really when you look at the context. Compare 2015 to 1994 when we won 8 games.

2015- we beat Arkansas on the road and USM on the road, La Tech was a good win relatively speaking as well.

1994- we beat Tennessee with Peyton Manning, a good South Carolina team on the road that won 7-8 games, and won the Egg Bowl on the road.

Which season was more impressive? Both were 8 win seasons- but one season is clearly better than the other.

The problem is Dan has too many seasons like the 2015 season where we won games, but there really wasn't very many memorable wins- maybe Arkansas and maybe USM from a historical standpoint, but I doubt those will make any MSU fans top 20 games of all time list.

Stansbury and Polk 2 did pretty much the same thing- they had seasons where they won a lot of games but there really wasn't anything too much to get excited about because even though we "won a lot"- we still underachieved. And it's just more frustrating than anything because most competent sports fans saw the major issues and red flags but each coach had his positive police shooting everything down- and usually pointing back to the pinnacle of each coaches tenure despite the fact that we were obviously trending down. And things usually got fairly nasty and then the fanbase was split into two factions because then people had to choose sides.

I'm not even going to address Croom because no matter what Dan is clearly better and quite frankly all of the other coaches mentioned are too- but even he had his share of positive police as well.

Anyway- I see the same thing happening to Dan if he stays. There are very obvious issues out there that are unquestionable at this point like Hevesy being an albatross, certain players like Zach Jackson playing way more than they should over better options such as JT Gray, and the team playing extremely poorly against higher level competition and questionable head coaching decisions such as what we saw against LSU at the end of the game.

I think if Dan stays we will see a split fanbase and have a very rough 2016 because if Dan returns I don't foresee very many issues getting corrected, and with one fewer home game and a more difficult OOC schedule I see a recipe for taking a step back next year. And I just wonder if we are going to have that "breaking point" game with Dan next year. Time will tell on that. One thing I do know is that fanbases that are split usually decrease support for the program in general. Who wants to spend hundreds of dollars watching a failing product? I know personally I am already planning on going to fewer home games next year as it is and will follow through on that if there aren't changes made- and by that I mean Hevesy better be gone at a minimum.

vCash
    Todd the strength of schedule for that 1994 team was 50 out of 107. This year it's 39th out of 128. That's a decent gap. We also got beat by a 4-7 LSU team that year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    I love Jackie as well but he wasn't facing close to the competition as Mullen has since 2009. We have had multiple 10+ game winners in our division alone that is unreal. 2010 4 teams, 3 in 2011, 2012, & 2013. I think Mullen has faced more in his 7 years than Jackie did his entire time. The strength of our division is not even close to comparison. In all of Jackie's years he upset 3 10 game winning teams (including their bowl wins) and none of those teams were national title teams. All were 3 loss teams. That's great and I wished Mullen had pulled off some bigger upsets. Really should have but Jackie was not beating national title teams either. And that makes the idea that we should have been a consistant 9-10 win team kind of difficult to fathom. It's were we want to be and we have been getting closer and need to continue to build but, and I have said this before, I really thought it would take a decade if we are lucky and things break our way. Considering the road we have had to go through the overall numbers are very good. Got to get over that next hump, which is one of the hardest to climb over and sustain.
    Jackie also coached in an era where teams played 11 games and not 12 for most of his tenure and teams weren't allowed to count I-AA games towards bowl eligibility for awhile. So for all of these, basically add one more win to their record for each win pre 2002.

He beat an 8 win Ole Miss team in 1999
    Beat 10 win Alabama in 1996
    Beat 10 win Auburn on the road in 1997
    Beat 8 win Tennessee in 1994 with Manning
    Beat 9 win and SEC East Champ Florida in 1992 and 10 win Florida in 2000
    Beat 9 win Arkansas in 1998
    Beat 9 win Memphis somehow in 2003

Dan has ONE win over a 10 win team- and that is over Rice. 2015 USM has a chance to be #2 on Dan's list.
    Beat 9 win Ole Miss in 2009.
    2013 Ole Miss, 2014 run of Auburn, Texas A&M, and LSU, and 2010 Florida- ALL 8-5 teams.

The bottom line is Dan has to win more marquee games than he is. But the thing that compounds everything is how poorly prepared we look and play in big games. THAT is VERY concerning with Dan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Todd the strength of schedule for that 1994 team was 50 out of 107. This year it's 39th out of 128. That's a decent gap. We also got beat by a 4-7 LSU team that year.
    If you are having to grasp that straw, you've made my point. It's not our fault that LSU and Ole Miss were down that year or that Kentucky lost to Northeast Louisiana.

My point is it's all about WHO you beat as well as how good they are. Which season is more memorable 10 years from now? 1994 or 2015