Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Mullen: No comment

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If you are having to grasp that straw, you've made my point. It's not our fault that LSU and Ole Miss were down that year or that Kentucky lost to Northeast Louisiana.

My point is it's all about WHO you beat as well as how good they are. Which season is more memorable 10 years from now? 1994 or 2015
    Well Dan wouldn't have lost to a 4-7 LSU team. I think this year will be more memorable mainly because of Dak and maybe how we fought back at Arkansas. Something else Jackie could never do.

vCash
    If you are having to grasp that straw, you've made my point. It's not our fault that LSU and Ole Miss were down that year or that Kentucky lost to Northeast Louisiana.

My point is it's all about WHO you beat as well as how good they are. Which season is more memorable 10 years from now? 1994 or 2015
    Or we could ask the question this way: Is there a win in 2015 we'll be talking about 20 years from now the way we still mention beating UT & Peyton in '94? Methinks not.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    WMD nails it again. Been on a roll lately.
    I agree. He's knocking it out of the park right now.
    Where's my damn rep?

/shameless begging
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Jackie also coached in an era where teams played 11 games and not 12 for most of his tenure and teams weren't allowed to count I-AA games towards bowl eligibility for awhile. So for all of these, basically add one more win to their record for each win pre 2002.

He beat an 8 win Ole Miss team in 1999
    Beat 10 win Alabama in 1996
    Beat 10 win Auburn on the road in 1997
    Beat 8 win Tennessee in 1994 with Manning
    Beat 9 win and SEC East Champ Florida in 1992 and 10 win Florida in 2000
    Beat 9 win Arkansas in 1998
    Beat 9 win Memphis somehow in 2003

Dan has ONE win over a 10 win team- and that is over Rice. 2015 USM has a chance to be #2 on Dan's list.
    Beat 9 win Ole Miss in 2009.
    2013 Ole Miss, 2014 run of Auburn, Texas A&M, and LSU, and 2010 Florida- ALL 8-5 teams.

The bottom line is Dan has to win more marquee games than he is. But the thing that compounds everything is how poorly prepared we look and play in big games. THAT is VERY concerning with Dan.
    Yes I know only 11 games. The conference games are still much harder today, especially our division than at any point in Jackie's era. Was there ever a season when all the west teams were at least .500 like today. Was there ever a season when you had not 1 or 2 but at least 3 10 win teams in our division (we have had that like 4 times in the last 7 years). The comparison of the difficulty is not close. When was the last time we had a West Division winner with more than 2 losses? Just a different area and when you adjust for the strength of then to now the lower number of games played doesn't hurt Mullen's overall record. Especially when you compare the fact that he has never lost a game to losing teams. Unlike Jackie. Also we don't have ties anymore either. How many of those would possible bite Jackie back then. A tie with Arkansas State.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Or we could ask the question this way: Is there a win in 2015 we'll be talking about 20 years from now the way we still mention beating UT & Peyton in '94? Methinks not.
    I think Dak's win at Arkansas might because of Dak. But beating Payton was great. Do we talk about that loss to 4-7 LSU as well?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    I think Dak's win at Arkansas might because of Dak. But beating Payton was great. Do we talk about that loss to 4-7 LSU as well?
    Good point, 51-50 is definitely memorable. Especially ending on a blocked FG a la the Snow Bowl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Good point, 51-50 is definitely memorable. Especially ending on a blocked FG a la the Snow Bowl.
    Yep. Had a big lead. Lost it because of turnovers. Game looked over but Dak got us back and then the blocked FG. At Fayetteville as well. Don't usually like games of no defense but both QB's put on a clinic that night.

vCash

But you discount LSU, AU, and A&M as important wins last year for the same reason - they had down years. That's damn convenient. Doesn't matter that they were all ranked highly at the time. You could make the argument that losing to us sent their seasons into tailspins - like Bama did to everyone this year, but you'd have to actually think that winning 10 was an achievement instead of find excuses to discount the fact we are in our best run of football since the 1940s.

The only reason anybody remembers beating Tennesse in 94 is Manning. Forget the fact that they were 1-2 at the time, and reeling from getting smacked by Florida 31-0, causing Todd Helton to get yanked. So we were playing against a true freshman (albeit very talented) in his first start, and we barely won.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Name one other current coach in the SEC that is as linked to as many jobs as Dan. Saban and Les Miles squashed rumors to Texas and Michigan respectively. Dan smarts off to Bonner about it.
    There names weren't linked to every damn job available and they are at destination jobs (and Saban doesn't mind taking a job after denying he's going to do it). Mullen has probably had his name out there, but how dumb do you think he and his agent are to link his name to jobs like Virginia without being pretty sure he's going to get it? What do you want Mullen to do? Point out all the ridiculous rumors that are obviously not true but when it comes to places he realistically might consider going, say no comment?

The only other thing he could do is come out and say I'm staying at MSU knowing that if UGA or whatever program comes calling, he'll go back on his word.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    There names weren't linked to every damn job available and they are at destination jobs (and Saban doesn't mind taking a job after denying he's going to do it). Mullen has probably had his name out there, but how dumb do you think he and his agent are to link his name to jobs like Virginia without being pretty sure he's going to get it? What do you want Mullen to do? Point out all the ridiculous rumors that are obviously not true but when it comes to places he realistically might consider going, say no comment?

The only other thing he could do is come out and say I'm staying at MSU knowing that if UGA or whatever program comes calling, he'll go back on his word.
    I think you're spot on with this. There's a few jobs that Dan would consider jumping to. There are a lot of jobs that he gets linked to that he would not consider.